Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Dec 24, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #5,521 of 6,742
What this guy said. I was part of the early AKG Massdrop headphones, they all got recalled due to quality issues. Was really bull**** waiting months for the headphones, get them and oh..look, I get to send them back and wait another month for them.
Not the case here guys. Unlike the MD AKGs that are built in China, the Elex is made by Focal in France with the same machines and parts as the other Focals. So don’t worry about build quality - it’s the same (only better than the Elear with Elex pads).

Dec 24, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #5,525 of 6,742
Not the case here guys. Unlike the MD AKGs that are built in China, the Elex is made by Focal in France with the same machines and parts as the other Focals. So don’t worry about build quality - it’s the same (only better than the Elear with Elex pads).
Regardless of being made in the same factory, if the driver is exhibiting serious distortion and hits its max excursion, that's a problem. Everything I've read contradicts the possibility that Elex is of the same build quality as Elear. The Elex doesnt use the new voice coil, and the Elear at least is relatively undamped. I had thought the pads were the only difference, so Elear with Elex pads=Elex. Is that not the case?

Dec 25, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #5,527 of 6,742
People had complaints about the mids being recessed, which can easily be fixed with different pads, which is basically all the Elex is ( I think I read they padded the inside too or something ).

Where are you located? Maybe if you're near one of us we can let you demo them lol.

Dec 25, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #5,528 of 6,742
Regardless of being made in the same factory, if the driver is exhibiting serious distortion and hits its max excursion, that's a problem. Everything I've read contradicts the possibility that Elex is of the same build quality as Elear. The Elex doesnt use the new voice coil, and the Elear at least is relatively undamped. I had thought the pads were the only difference, so Elear with Elex pads=Elex. Is that not the case?

I read similar reports regarding excursion issues with the Elear, so it's the same for both headphones (hell even the utopia have the same issue)

Dec 25, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #5,530 of 6,742
It's also tough because this Z Reviews says that the Elex is way better than the Elear and it's THE headphone under $1000. This is all so complicated.
It’s not way better but it is better. Still, some people prefer the Elear’s presentation and I personally prefer the Elear’s look to the all-black Elex. An Elear with Elex pads is still first prize in my book.

Dec 25, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #5,531 of 6,742
Regarding the Elex: Does anyone have an idea how to get my hands on these over in Europe? I find it a little bit ridiculous that these French-made headphones cannot be shipped to Europe from Massdrop.

I want to upgrade from my X2's, and from everything I've heard so far the Elex is actually better than the Elear, at less money.

EDIT: On that note, another question, the Schiit Fulla 2 is not suffice for the Focals, right?

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #5,532 of 6,742
Regarding the Elex: Does anyone have an idea how to get my hands on these over in Europe? I find it a little bit ridiculous that these French-made headphones cannot be shipped to Europe from Massdrop.

I want to upgrade from my X2's, and from everything I've heard so far the Elex is actually better than the Elear, at less money.

EDIT: On that note, another question, the Schiit Fulla 2 is not suffice for the Focals, right?

You'll be fine on a Fulla, these are stupid easy to drive. I use less volume to get them loud then the Nighthawks

Dec 25, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #5,533 of 6,742
Whatever, I've just used a third-party deliver service that'll take the Massdrop package from the USA and deliver it on their own to Europe. A ridiculous fee, but at least I know I'll get it now.

Dec 27, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #5,534 of 6,742
So after 4 months of searching I found that Elear suits me the best. The bass slam and the treble spark is perfect for me. I personally prefer the Elear sound over anything in the range. I have tried LCD2C, Amiron wireless, AQ NightOwls, iSine20(these are awesome too) to name a few.
The imaging with the dynamics nails it 100% for me. Hoping to have lots of fun with these :)

Elex vs Elear: Not sure I would like the Elex better, I wanted the treble and the bass slam from the Elears. At some point I might try the Elex pads, but I think Elears have a point to make with the sound signature and its just their character. I just don't get the negative press around Elears; for some its personal preference for sure but it is my hope that for the most part it is folks reading too much into the frequency response curve. :)

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #5,535 of 6,742
they dont do this or do do that...just wish they were lighter. I like the focal elear better than my senn hd600 and 58 jubilee's....except for the weight...did I say they are heavy? I like to listen to fleetwood mac thru my thxaaa789 and something as easy as the way cymbals sound could be a why someone hates a headphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back