Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Oct 27, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #4,652 of 6,742
As soon as I got the Elears I listened to several of my favorite Bowie albums and man did they sound fantastic. The new 2017 remaster of Low was amazing with the restored bass now that Tony Visconti was involved in the remastering process. Hunky Dory, Scary Monsters, Lodger, Ziggy, all felt like new experiences when played through the Elears. Looking forward to getting The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead 2017 remaster on Tuesday and the new The The box set that just shipped on Friday. These headphones have really elevated my musical enjoyment of all my favorite artists. Oh, Dylan's Blood On The Tracks in 24/192 hi-res, stunning!

Listened to the 2017 remaster of Low and the remix of Lodger and they do sound spectacularly good in the Elears...though so do most things.

Upthread I had said that solo violin/violin concertos felt somewhat recessed and distant at first. With a fair amount of breaking-in, I'm no longer hearing that. I tried a couple of the Mendelssohn concerti that had given me trouble with the new Elears and the violin is right up front where it should be. So I'm having no second thoughts, and I'm feeling like I can pare down my headphone collection substantially. I'm not sure these are "endgame" (if there is such a thing), but they're certainly making several of them redundant. Which is a good thing since even on sale this is more than I really ever meant to spend on headphones....

Oct 27, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #4,653 of 6,742
Is there something different about the "2017" remastering of The Queen Is Dead? The 24-96 version from the Collection sounds incredible. Even better through the Elears.

Oct 27, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #4,654 of 6,742
Is there something different about the "2017" remastering of The Queen Is Dead? The 24-96 version from the Collection sounds incredible. Even better through the Elears.
The main reason I bought the new 2017 remaster, even though I own the 24/96 version from the Collection as well, is for the bonus tracks and the Live In Boston album included in the 3CD/DVD reissue. The DVD also has the album in 24/96 but you cannot rip them from the DVD, as far as I was able to tell/figure out. I haven't downloaded the new 2017 remaster in hi-res yet but will if it sounds demonstrably better than the 24/96 remaster from the previously released Collection. I think those were from a 2011 remastering.

Oct 27, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #4,655 of 6,742
Listened to the 2017 remaster of Low and the remix of Lodger and they do sound spectacularly good in the Elears...though so do most things.

Upthread I had said that solo violin/violin concertos felt somewhat recessed and distant at first. With a fair amount of breaking-in, I'm no longer hearing that. I tried a couple of the Mendelssohn concerti that had given me trouble with the new Elears and the violin is right up front where it should be. So I'm having no second thoughts, and I'm feeling like I can pare down my headphone collection substantially. I'm not sure these are "endgame" (if there is such a thing), but they're certainly making several of them redundant. Which is a good thing since even on sale this is more than I really ever meant to spend on headphones....
I couldn't agree with you more. The more the Elear headphones "break in" the better they are sounding. I never thought I would own a $1K pair of headphones and now I own 2 (Senn HD700 and Focal Elear), both I got for essentially half price, which made it even possible. I don't think they are endgame, I think you could buy the Focal Utopia for $4K and get improved performance, but there is clearly a diminishing return when it comes to price/performance ratio, as with all mid-to-high priced audio gear. I'm already intrigued by the brand new Focal Clear headphones and am watching carefully for feedback on their performance compared to the Elear. Those are perhaps my next "aspirational" pair of headphones, since I do love the sound of the Elear. If the new Clear phones address some of the modest shortcomings of the Elear, they would be a very compelling choice. In the meantime, I'm going to thoroughly enjoy my new Elears and try, as best I can, to avoid headphone envy for awhile.

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #4,657 of 6,742
I have been enjoying my Elears using a Brooklyn DAC+ with the built in SS headphone amp or Magni 3. They are almost my ideal headphone the only possible complaint would be polite treble. I would like a little more presence and detail on the top end. What amps are you guys finding are the best match for the Elears?

Oct 28, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #4,658 of 6,742

the recess/distantness in the upper mid is definitely a product of the 4k dip. My guess is that your brain has just adapted to their sound signature :) Mine did the same.
If you do want to try and "open them up more", I have to recommend Sonarworks reference 4 once again! Everyone who listens with a pc as a source should do a free trial! "Cleans" up the midrange, brings the treble forward and gives it air, subbass is insane. The completely neutral setting is a little too extreme for me, but fortunately there are options to customize the sound. One of the preset "audiophile target curve" keeps some of the Elears signature, while being more balanced and overall a big upgrade IMO. Tbh, it's almost like the upgrade I'd expect when going from the Elear to Utopia. Now I haven't heard the Utopia, but after having heard other competing cans, that's the kind of upgrade I'd expect.

Oct 28, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #4,659 of 6,742
I have been enjoying my Elears using a Brooklyn DAC+ with the built in SS headphone amp or Magni 3. They are almost my ideal headphone the only possible complaint would be polite treble. I would like a little more presence and detail on the top end. What amps are you guys finding are the best match for the Elears?

I had a custom silver plated copper litz cable made for the Elear, and was really surprised at how they opened up the top end.

Here's the cable I had made. The price was excellent considering the quality. Just contact him and he'll make one to order. I had a copper litz cable for the Elears from him before this one, which didn't really change the sound signature, but the silver plated one really did make a difference to me.

Maybe try a silver or silver plated cable locally at a store if you can find one if you'd rather find out for yourself before buying one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UPOCC-SPC-Cable-for-Focal-Elear-Circumaural-Headphones-6ft-RESERVED/202075907536?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I also recommend giving Sonarworks a try. They also do a cheaper true-fi plugin which also gives you control over bass and treble. The latency is a bit high, so if you need low latency, I'd suggest the Sonarworks reference 4 as @makne suggested.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #4,660 of 6,742

Hi, although against my better judgement :wink: .. I've ordered the Hybrid cable from Forza Audio Works ....... http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=86

I believe it is supposed to be a brighter cable. As I'd like to same as you I thought I'd find out for myself if i can hear a difference, ill let you know what my old ears discern, if anything at all!

I know, I know, I know ........ Don't say it !! :)

Oct 29, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #4,661 of 6,742
I had a custom silver plated copper litz cable made for the Elear, and was really surprised at how they opened up the top end.

Here's the cable I had made. The price was excellent considering the quality. Just contact him and he'll make one to order. I had a copper litz cable for the Elears from him before this one, which didn't really change the sound signature, but the silver plated one really did make a difference to me.

Maybe try a silver or silver plated cable locally at a store if you can find one if you'd rather find out for yourself before buying one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UPOCC-SPC-Cable-for-Focal-Elear-Circumaural-Headphones-6ft-RESERVED/202075907536?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I also recommend giving Sonarworks a try. They also do a cheaper true-fi plugin which also gives you control over bass and treble. The latency is a bit high, so if you need low latency, I'd suggest the Sonarworks reference 4 as @makne suggested.

i would be very careful using plugins like sonarworks as this will just take away the sound signature of elear, and as such I do not see any point of buying an elear to begin with. for headphone that costs 1000 usd I would never use such plugins. yes for cheap headphones that could be useful to play around with plugins

after burn in of elear there is no need of any plugin and I suggest getting used to enjoying the sound signature of elear

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #4,662 of 6,742
i would be very careful using plugins like sonarworks as this will just take away the sound signature of elear, and as such I do not see any point of buying an elear to begin with. for headphone that costs 1000 usd I would never use such plugins. yes for cheap headphones that could be useful to play around with plugins

after burn in of elear there is no need of any plugin and I suggest getting used to enjoying the sound signature of elear
you can't say that before you've tried it. Why would you have to be careful? It's a free trial period.
By all means, do what makes you happy. But refusing to try something that CAN make the sound better, just because the headphones are "so expensive they shouldn't need it", seems a bit silly to me tbh. If there's a chance of a sound upgrade with no risk, I'm gonna look into it no matter what the headphones cost to begin with...

Maybe you like sonarworks, maybe you prefer the stock signature, they both have their strengths. But you will never know the potential upgrade if you refuse to try it. It's a free trial, so really no risk at all.
And yeah I did use the Elear stock for a good while, my ears easily adjusted to their signature which I still really love. But Sonarworks brings other qualities to the table, and is a very good option. It's almost like having to different headphones to choose from.

Oct 29, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #4,663 of 6,742

I also use the Elear in the studio, and need a more accurate response when I do. For general listening, I’ll use custom Eq. I’m not a fan of the Elear stock signature, too warm in the mids and too relaxed in the treble for me. There are a lot of things I do love about them though, so with a little tweak to the signature, they’re close to perfect for me.

Each to their own.

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #4,664 of 6,742
So for those of you who have had the crackling issue, were you able to get a replacement? I ask because I heard the elears at RMAF and didn't hear crackling on that pair, they sounded truthfully like i expected them to sound. I did have the issue, and originally emailed the dealer where I purchased them, they said would do an exchange. He asked if I had the outter box that the Elears came in, I did, but when I got home from RMAF, found out it had been thrown out with the box they shipped in. Emailed that to the dealer, hoping I could at least get store credit, but asking what my options were, and got a response asking me to clarify essentially if I was referring to the crackling that had been mentioned on head-fi, then he copied part of a post into the email. I replied that I was, and though i'd been subscribed to this thread for a while now, hadn't seen that post he refered to. That's been nearly 2 weeks ago now, and I just read the last 6 or so pages of this thread, hearing others discuss it. Unfortunately this wasn't a hard issue for me to replicate, and i'm not sure what to think at this point. Obviously wish I still had that outter box, but what has your experience been?

Oct 30, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #4,665 of 6,742
... but what has your experience been?

My second pair of Elears experienced the crackling issue after around 35 hours of intermittent regular use (no special break-in period). My dealer (Jason at Source AV) was able to do a straight exchange for a new pair out of existing stock after a quick call to Focal. I went ahead and broke in the new pair with continuous play of a short playlist for 50 hours to make sure no crackling developed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back