Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Oct 22, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #4,621 of 6,742
i vouch that elear is a breath taking headphone and its getting the most play time among all my headphones and iems that I own

its an amazing headphone peroid

Oct 22, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #4,623 of 6,742
i vouch that elear is a breath taking headphone and its getting the most play time among all my headphones and iems that I own

its an amazing headphone peroid

I agree, even with it's aggressive clipping on the odd few heavy bass tracks, it's a great headphone. I'm enjoying mine now I've purged the initial annoyance from my brain! .... In the future I'll get a closed back to fill that hole.

Oct 23, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #4,625 of 6,742
Thanks. For your reference I listen to the Utopia (same efficiency) on double red and sometimes the lower end of yellow on the Mojo. This gets me in the ballpark of 85 dB average SPL (with obviously higher peaks), depending on the track.

How have you measured the output? When I am using my iphone’s microphone to measure what I am getting from double read on mojo I usually get values in the 70s and not 85 average SPL. Is there a way to accurately measure volume and even frequency on the cheap?

By the way, I also use two double red on the Utopia and one red and one yellow for the Elear. I may be fooled by Utopia’s clarity but at the same sound level the Utopia sounds a few db louder. I am saying this for anyone who wants to compare the two. I know that the company says that both cans have the same efficiency.

Oct 23, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #4,626 of 6,742
How have you measured the output? When I am using my iphone’s microphone to measure what I am getting from double read on mojo I usually get values in the 70s and not 85 average SPL. Is there a way to accurately measure volume and even frequency on the cheap?

By the way, I also use two double red on the Utopia and one red and one yellow for the Elear. I may be fooled by Utopia’s clarity but at the same sound level the Utopia sounds a few db louder. I am saying this for anyone who wants to compare the two. I know that the company says that both cans have the same efficiency.

I would think to get an accurate reading you require dedicated sound level metering equipment. And as a gent told me in an earlier post, I think it has to be closed cup? ....... However, closed cup I presume that would be to get an accurate reading of what the driver is generating, not as it would be open back and on your head. Sure a sound engineer will put us right.

Oct 23, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #4,627 of 6,742

I used a smartphone app and a thick high density foam block with a thin slot cut out for the phone to seal the cup. This results in around 5 dB increase compared to reading an open cup. I also adjusted the calibration (roughly) on my app based on a silent room and normal conversation levels.

Unless we are comparing the exact same track with the exact same app (calibrated) with the same mic and positioning (and exact Mojo volume within the red range) then we’ll get different readings. Regardless, it’s just a ballpark to tell me if I’m near the danger zone or not. I wouldn’t expect any level of accuracy in the order of professional results, but I know I’m not in the 95-100dB and above range.

I haven’t heard the Elear so my reference was based just on specs. Regardless of the same specs I also turn the Utopia down compared to other cans given how dynamic they already are.

Oct 24, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #4,628 of 6,742
I used a smartphone app and a thick high density foam block with a thin slot cut out for the phone to seal the cup. This results in around 5 dB increase compared to reading an open cup. I also adjusted the calibration (roughly) on my app based on a silent room and normal conversation levels.

Unless we are comparing the exact same track with the exact same app (calibrated) with the same mic and positioning (and exact Mojo volume within the red range) then we’ll get different readings. Regardless, it’s just a ballpark to tell me if I’m near the danger zone or not. I wouldn’t expect any level of accuracy in the order of professional results, but I know I’m not in the 95-100dB and above range.

I haven’t heard the Elear so my reference was based just on specs. Regardless of the same specs I also turn the Utopia down compared to other cans given how dynamic they already are.
Right, I should have thought that just placing the smartphone microphone approximately where my ear is is very likely to underestimate the sound pressure level.

I wonder if one can do frequency analysis with just the smartphone to find out if a headphone has elevated base or treble compared to another. Well probably not. Just thinking.

Oct 25, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #4,629 of 6,742
Every pair of headphones and IEM's I've ever had all worked great, but if I ever did get a pair with a flaw I wouldn't go around bashing the company because of it. No product that I know of has a 100% success rate, there will always be some that have issues. Most reputable companies would be happy to make it right if you did have a faulty product so bashing them is just a stupid thing to do imo.

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #4,630 of 6,742
Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #4,631 of 6,742
Forgot to unplug the elear from the hugo just now, when switching over to my speakers. Had them playing at full line-level around 10-15 minutes before noticing. Scary, but the good thing: They still sound completely fine, AND I GOT NO CRACKLING. Like, I did this once with my old elears once too but noticed after just a couple of seconds, as they started crackling loudly when the first bassline hit. I thought that was one of the "good" pairs, as they never crackled on normal levels... but yeah this new pair didn't crackle even on full line-level, songs weren't dubstep but stuff like Dire straits, and "hey now" by London Grammar which has really deep bass.
Idk how loud you guys usually listen but line-level is really loud to me. Like, a dragonfly red can't even reach line-level at full power.

Oct 25, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #4,633 of 6,742
I have a Forza hybrid HTC cable coming soon, I doubt if I'll notice the difference tbh.
Would be interesting to see if the cracking comes in higher up the volume scale, doubt it mind you.
It will look good, be less weight and won't bloomin twist up, I hope. ...... Thanks to member who recommended Forza.

I don't turn up on tracks like War Anthem now. ...... I'm enjoying my Elear, yes this descendere is now saying they are wonderful! :)
If I want to blast out War Anthem and the like, ill wait until the neighbour's are out and fire up my Floor Standers! ........ :wink: .......

Oct 25, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #4,634 of 6,742

Users who are viewing this thread

Back