Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Oct 30, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #4,666 of 6,742
you can't say that before you've tried it. Why would you have to be careful? It's a free trial period.
By all means, do what makes you happy. But refusing to try something that CAN make the sound better, just because the headphones are "so expensive they shouldn't need it", seems a bit silly to me tbh. If there's a chance of a sound upgrade with no risk, I'm gonna look into it no matter what the headphones cost to begin with...

Maybe you like sonarworks, maybe you prefer the stock signature, they both have their strengths. But you will never know the potential upgrade if you refuse to try it. It's a free trial, so really no risk at all.
And yeah I did use the Elear stock for a good while, my ears easily adjusted to their signature which I still really love. But Sonarworks brings other qualities to the table, and is a very good option. It's almost like having to different headphones to choose from.
i already tired ref4 otherwise i would have not commented

so please do not use words as " silly "

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #4,667 of 6,742
i already tired ref4 otherwise i would have not commented

so please do not use words as " silly "
sorry, I didn't understand that from your comment.

Tbh, the idea of consequently not using plugins/eq etc. Purely because of a headphone's price tag, does seem silly to me. If you try it and don't like it, then that's something else and of course totally understandable. But from your original comment, I understood it like you didn't want to alter the stock sound no matter what, just because it shouldn't be necessary on an expensive headphone... if I misunderstood then I am sorry.

Oct 30, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #4,668 of 6,742
sorry, I didn't understand that from your comment.

Tbh, the idea of consequently not using plugins/eq etc. Purely because of a headphone's price tag, does seem silly to me. If you try it and don't like it, then that's something else and of course totally understandable. But from your original comment, I understood it like you didn't want to alter the stock sound no matter what, just because it shouldn't be necessary on an expensive headphone... if I misunderstood then I am sorry.

its an opinion, and i used elaer with and without sonarworks. if anyone is buying elear or basically any headphones, they first buy into the signature of that headphone. You can do some custom tweaks with eq like a graphic eq or parametric eq as they are available across many devices from daps to your computer music players. But with sonarworks its a different story as the plugin completely changes the sound of the elear. My advise if you buy the elear know what you are buying and the sound signature it has, if you do not like that signature you are better off with buying another headphone especially with a headphone that costs 1000 usd. Using eq is one thing and I am a huge eq user per my user name here, but plugins like sonarworks kind of change the sound drastically. I am not a newbie here, and I have been around quite some time, and had my share of totl flagships. My solemn advise to anyone that if you buy a headphone that you feel the need to be able to enjoy it by using a plugin, then that is not my preferred advise to buy that headphone to begin with, especially if you plan on using the elear with daps and your pc, as you really will be not liking , the sonarworks will make the elear sound nothing related to the elear, so when you hook your elear to a dap that does not have that plugin you will not be able to enjoy listening to it. While with eq adjustments that can be achieved from almost all daps that is a different story

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #4,669 of 6,742
its an opinion, and i used elaer with and without sonarworks. if anyone is buying elear or basically any headphones, they first buy into the signature of that headphone. You can do some custom tweaks with eq like a graphic eq or parametric eq as they are available across many devices from daps to your computer music players. But with sonarworks its a different story as the plugin completely changes the sound of the elear. My advise if you buy the elear know what you are buying and the sound signature it has, if you do not like that signature you are better off with buying another headphone especially with a headphone that costs 1000 usd. Using eq is one thing and I am a huge eq user per my user name here, but plugins like sonarworks kind of change the sound drastically. I am not a newbie here, and I have been around quite some time, and had my share of totl flagships. My solemn advise to anyone that if you buy a headphone that you feel the need to be able to enjoy it by using a plugin, then that is not my preferred advise to buy that headphone to begin with, especially if you plan on using the elear with daps and your pc, the sonarworks will make the elear sound nothing related to the elear, so when you hook your elear to a dap that does not have that plugin you will not be able to listen to it. While with eq adjustments that can be achieved from almost all daps that is a different story
yeah of course, you should know the Elear's signature before buying! I agree that eq/plugins etc shouldn't be used to "fix" headphones at this caliber, but I still think that it can be a useful option!
For example me: I love the stock elear sound, I didn't know about sonarworks until recently. I chose the Elear over it's competitors based on it's stock sound. But still, I very much enjoy the Sonarworks sound (with some tweaking to make it warmer). I can't use sonarworks on all my sources true, and I still very much enjoy the stock signature when I listen to a different source. But when I use my computer, I usually use sonarworks because I enjoy it even more than the stock sound.

Oct 30, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #4,670 of 6,742
OK, a bit of levity regarding the "crackling" controversy. I was listening to Red Lorry Yellow Lorry (80's post-punk/goth) through my rig via iTunes/Pure Music and a bonus track comes on and during playback I kept hearing this popping and crackling, primarily in my left ear cup and I start thinking to myself "F#ck, is it finally happening to me about 50 hours in to my new headphones? Am I getting that crackling sound a few have had major problems with?" So I keep listening closely and realize that the bonus track had clearly been transferred from a dodgy vinyl source, rather than the master tape. I subsequently breathed a welcome sigh of relief.

Oct 30, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #4,672 of 6,742
I sent my pair to Focal North America it took 3 weeks to the day, I was surprised to get them back that fast..

Oct 31, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #4,673 of 6,742
received my open box elear's from moon audio today

no popping or crackling issues (so far.....touch wood). i did hear a pop on an old t rex track but that's probably the recording

re the machine soundtrack only had a brief 30-60 second visit and volumes louder than i would normally listen and all good

here's hoping these open boxed have no issue at all

perhaps being open box they've been listened to before throwing them back on the market

Nov 6, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #4,678 of 6,742
I have two lavircables silver cablesfor my elear one balanced and one 3.5mm single eneded, using them is an upgrade to the sound that the stock cable offers. I now use the balanced as my source is balanced, so if you look for a great cable single eneded 3.5mm, check the classifieds.

Nov 6, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #4,679 of 6,742
My second pair of Elears experienced the crackling issue after around 35 hours of intermittent regular use (no special break-in period). My dealer (Jason at Source AV) was able to do a straight exchange for a new pair out of existing stock after a quick call to Focal. I went ahead and broke in the new pair with continuous play of a short playlist for 50 hours to make sure no crackling developed.

Hi, just to clarify, is this treatment supposed to prevent crackling and advised by Focal? ...... I'm guessing not the cracking under heavy/strong bass though as that's clipping and built as part of the design? .... "Dynamics over SPL" as in Focals response to us concerned.

I've not done this "50 hr burn in" should i do it now, im guessing they've only had a max of 6 hours play time?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #4,680 of 6,742
Hi, I would thanks some recomendations for a handfull of headphone amps (or amp/dac) bellow 500 € that would pair good with Focal Elears. If only as amp, I will connect it to my FiiO X7 mk2 ESS9028PRO DAC, I like clear mids and highs with a touch of bass, mostly jazz, electronic and alternative genres. I know this is very relative and subjective to personal taste... Just wanted some guidelines for now for where to look for.
Thanks

Ps: Actually is not Elear but Clear, but I guess a good match for one should be to the other

Users who are viewing this thread

Back