Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Aug 17, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #3,766 of 6,742
Please share any impression Elear > Jotunheim > Gungnir Multibit. As I am planning to get Jot and Gungnir MB for Elear. Any respond will be appreciated, thanks.

Aug 17, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #3,768 of 6,742
That's kind of a gamebreaker. Does anyone know if this is a relatively common problem with the Elears?
Only thing I can think of is the mechanical clipping, which has been discussed earlier. Sounds like crackling from the driver. But that is something Focal implemented, and should only happen at ear-bleeding levels with bass-heavy songs.

Aug 17, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #3,769 of 6,742
Only thing I can think of is the mechanical clipping, which has been discussed earlier. Sounds like crackling from the driver. But that is something Focal implemented, and should only happen at ear-bleeding levels with bass-heavy songs.

Agreed, so far I've been hearing it w/ the Jot 9 o'clock, which is pretty low. The highs sound a little muffled - which in the last 6 months has NOT been something I'd say about the Elears. In my case, I spoke w/ the dealer today and will be sending mine back to get looked at / repaired as appropriate.

Anyone else with the Jot / Elear combo ever notice any harshness? I have 5 days left on the Schiit 15 day return policy, so need to decide if I want to keep this amp too.

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #3,770 of 6,742
Agreed, so far I've been hearing it w/ the Jot 9 o'clock, which is pretty low. The highs sound a little muffled - which in the last 6 months has NOT been something I'd say about the Elears. In my case, I spoke w/ the dealer today and will be sending mine back to get looked at / repaired as appropriate.

Anyone else with the Jot / Elear combo ever notice any harshness? I have 5 days left on the Schiit 15 day return policy, so need to decide if I want to keep this amp too.
I think you're doing the right thing, doesn't sound normal.

I really like the Jot with Elear, it's a neutral amp which I like with Elear because I like their tonality as it is. I feel like the Elear's presence region can get too recessed with warmer amps, and the bass overwhelming, but I know some people disagree with me here.

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #3,771 of 6,742
I think you're doing the right thing, doesn't sound normal.

I really like the Jot with Elear, it's a neutral amp which I like with Elear because I like their tonality as it is. I feel like the Elear's presence region can get too recessed with warmer amps, and the bass overwhelming, but I know some people disagree with me here.

Well worst case, I'll at least get them back w/ a clean bill of health if it's all my imagination lol.

I've been listening to the Jot w/ my HD600s today and you're right, it is a very neutral amp. The amount of detail it reveals (vs the Asgard 2) has been a pleasant surprise too.

@ahossam the Gungnir Multi-bit -> Jot in general is a great combo. I find that the Gumby is a clean and neutral DAC. The Elear will sound great w/ them (despite my current issues w/ the Elears) IMHO.

Aug 19, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #3,772 of 6,742
I am considering purchasing the Elears with an aftermarket cable. Recommendations from this thread include Moon Audio Silver Dragon, WyWyre Red, Wireworld Nano (model ?) and Plussound (model ?).

Has anyone compared one or more of these directly (with the Elear)?
Which specific Nano and which specific Plussound cable is recommended?

Thank you

Aug 19, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #3,773 of 6,742
I'm using Black Dragons. They smooth out the high end for my old sensitive ears. Lots of detail, but there is nothing wrong with the stock cable. Stock cable may be heavy, the Dragon is stiff and has coil memory. Save your money...

Aug 19, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #3,774 of 6,742
I'd rather focus on getting a light, flexible, good-looking cable, but that's just me. I've ordered a cable from forza audioworks, they look fantastic and are said to be light and flexible, and of good quality.

Aug 19, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #3,775 of 6,742
I'd rather focus on getting a light, flexible, good-looking cable, but that's just me. I've ordered a cable from forza audioworks, they look fantastic and are said to be light and flexible, and of good quality.

What do you guys think about the Blue Dragons? I purchased blues for the balanced ICs and balanced HP cable, but mostly b/c they were supposed to be neutral.

Aug 19, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #3,776 of 6,742
What do you guys think about the Blue Dragons? I purchased blues for the balanced ICs and balanced HP cable, but mostly b/c they were supposed to be neutral.
I have the blue dragon balanced for my hd 650, really like it, yes I would say it is neutral. I like it as much or more then my braided good looking cables.

Aug 20, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #3,777 of 6,742
Blu dragon is a good cable but in my opinion expensive compared to past and with actual offer of cables

Aug 20, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #3,778 of 6,742
Please share any impression Elear > Jotunheim > Gungnir Multibit. As I am planning to get Jot and Gungnir MB for Elear. Any respond will be appreciated, thanks.

I just got my Jot and Gumby yesterday. Obviously nothing broken in yet and I haven't done any AB testing with the Jot yet so can't comment but I did AB test the Gumby and good quality pc dac and the difference was astonishing. It is literally a night and day experience I couldn't believe it. I used 3 different headphones for the test and my first reaction was it sounded like I upgraded from a low end headphone to a top of the line one. Everything was better and things that were previously recessed got brought back in. I think I prefer a darker tone so the Jot may be a little bright for my tastes. Going to order some Forza cables to hopefully help with that.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #3,779 of 6,742
I just got my Jot and Gumby yesterday. Obviously nothing broken in yet and I haven't done any AB testing with the Jot yet so can't comment but I did AB test the Gumby and good quality pc dac and the difference was astonishing. It is literally a night and day experience I couldn't believe it. I used 3 different headphones for the test and my first reaction was it sounded like I upgraded from a low end headphone to a top of the line one. Everything was better and things that were previously recessed got brought back in. I think I prefer a darker tone so the Jot may be a little bright for my tastes. Going to order some Forza cables to hopefully help with that.
Well that's how it is :) I was quite amazed when I discovered what difference the dac could make too (that was with a mimby). The way I see it, the main direction you want to go sound-wise is decided by the headphones. Then the dac and amp mainly enhances that direction and the overall quality, and maybe make some minor corrections.
If the Jot is too bright for you, take a look at the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. I've heard great things about it, and it's supposed to have a warmer sound. would give the Jot some time to break in first though, and for your ears to adapt to the Jot.

Aug 21, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #3,780 of 6,742
While I haven't heard a Elear with a Jot the Jot was a bit bright with HE560, HD800 and T1g1. Cables are a waste of money IMO since they make zero or no changes, your money is better spent on a amp, DAC or different headphone where it would have more of a impact on the sound.

Agree with @makne that the Liquid Carbon might be more to your liking over the Jot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back