Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Dec 30, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #1,741 of 6,742

Those are 2kUSD headphones...they should be damn good for that price :)

Yes, but people have been getting them shipped from Amazon UK for about $1500US all in.

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #1,742 of 6,742
  Yes, but people have been getting them shipped from Amazon UK for about $1500US all in.

I just checked on Amazon (US though), and they are 1960 USD at the moment.  Good looking headphones.   I like the black look! 

Personally, I am perfectly content with the Elear, they are what I needed.  Effective and dynamic.  But the take-home message is that they will always be a better set of headphones (specially at prices > 1 kUSD, which is still a LOT of money).  But heck, we love music, don't we?
o2smile.gif

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #1,743 of 6,742

I am using Elear for past 1 month without any issue but ever since i read about this issue instead of enjoying music i am trying to find out the fault.
Is this issue widespread. Mine is still under return period.
My dealer said warranty is 1 year but read somewhere that it is 2 years.

Here's a site where they will tell you, under Specs, that the warranty is 2 years for the headphones and 1 year for the cable.

https://skybygramophone.com/collections/focal/products/focal-elear-headphones

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #1,744 of 6,742

I just checked on Amazon (US though), and they are 1960 USD at the moment.  Good looking headphones.   I like the black look! 

Personally, I am perfectly content with the Elear, they are what I needed.  Effective and dynamic.  But the take-home message is that they will always be a better set of headphones (specially at prices > 1 kUSD, which is still a LOT of money).  But heck, we love music, don't we?
o2smile.gif

Yes we do love music. I agree, that is very expensive for sure, and with any super expensive headphone it is always debatable whether or not it is worth the money. I only picked up a Z1R as I received a great deal (still hasn't arrived yet, but is supposed to be within two weeks). If I had to pay the current North American price I would have passed for sure out of necessity. I have no doubt the Elear is the real deal and a stunning headphone from all accounts.

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #1,745 of 6,742
Yes we do love music. I agree, that is very expensive for sure, and with any super expensive headphone it is always debatable whether or not it is worth the money. I only picked up a Z1R as I received a great deal (still hasn't arrived yet, but is supposed to be within two weeks). If I had to pay the current North American price I would have passed for sure out of necessity. I have no doubt the Elear is the real deal and a stunning headphone from all accounts.
[/quote

And there are other excellent choices for cheap prices too. If you only have 5 dollars, the be monk plus is fantastic. There are great options at pretty much all prices now.

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #1,746 of 6,742
You should try another pair though. I think you had a defective unit. I have never had any issues with the Elear thus far. The bass rendering is quite superb.

It happened now on two different loaner pairs along with eargasam's pair - think it's more than one defective unit.   My theory again is the power/bass overpowers the driver and bottoms it out.  That's how it sounded on the pair I auditioned.  Like a 6" speaker you tried to use as a sub................
basshead.gif

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #1,747 of 6,742
Just tried the focal elear from a audiophile friend. We used 3 headphones amp: directly from fiio x52, schiit lyr with Siemens tubes, a big weirdo marantz amp and violectric v200.
Just a joyful sound !!!! Much better then my hd800 if you want to relax.
I really think the best sound was directly from fiio... but hey, I have been drinking bear since Monday, so, just my opinion!
Maybe, just maybe the bass was a little distorced with lyr...

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #1,749 of 6,742
So is the rattling bas something that is obvious from the beginning?  Or does it develop over time?  

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #1,750 of 6,742
I just ordered a brand new pair of Elears and will test out whether or not I get any "rattling bass" coming from the driver...

I will report back next week with some results.

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #1,751 of 6,742
So is the rattling bas something that is obvious from the beginning?  Or does it develop over time?  

The bass was perfection! In all tracks, expect in a few when listen to ELEAR + LYR . My theory, and I want to make clear that I'm no engineer, is the the bass isssue appear with the overkill power of Lyr amp.
Similar think happened with my iem shure 846. The sound is really awkward when connected to some amp... like lyr!!!
The 846 simple losses their fidelity

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #1,753 of 6,742
So a lot of people have been saying the Chord Mojo is a good amp for this headphone. Any other suggestions for amps under $1,000? I would like it to be a good amp for other headphones like the dt1990 also.

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #1,754 of 6,742

Personally, I am perfectly content with the Elear, they are what I needed.  Effective and dynamic.  But the take-home message is that they will always be a better set of headphones (specially at prices > 1 kUSD, which is still a LOT of money).  But heck, we love music, don't we? :o2smile:
I jumped on them when they were 1149gbp so it's under $1500 shipped to Nj

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #1,755 of 6,742
It happened now on two different loaner pairs along with eargasam's pair - think it's more than one defective unit.   My theory again is the power/bass overpowers the driver and bottoms it out.  That's how it sounded on the pair I auditioned.  Like a 6" speaker you tried to use as a sub................ :basshead:
I used the Fiio A3. It's a very weak amp. And that bottomed both drivers out during bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back