Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Dec 30, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #1,771 of 6,742
  Cool very positive hearing that..enjoy

You too!

Focal is one of the few mainstream high-end speaker companies that I still have confidence in.
It's clear they didn't just take a generic driver design and stick a brand on it. 

The build quality on all my pairs have been excellent. No paint chipping or driver issues. 
The only foreseeable problem is that the headband may one day need to be replaced.

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #1,772 of 6,742
  Honestly if the T1.2's don't work out due to brightness or fatigue, I would look into getting a pair of DT 1990's or Amirons instead, both are warmer and not as bright as the T1.2 but still have a lot of harmonic detail like the T1.2, heck maybe more even as the T1.2 does sound slightly lacking to me compared to the DT 1990.

Thanks, I will have to consider this.  I just got the T1.2's today, and they are still breaking in.  They are definitely bright.  But they also have a way of grabbing your attention that the Elears do not have.  I'm trying not to analyze too much until they are broken in.  They definitely have qualities to them so far that I enjoy, but the Achilles' heel may be the treble.  I'm hoping it mellows out with time, or my ears are able to adjust.  If not, I'll be going back to the Elears for sure.  I will say that the midrange on the T1.2's is very intriguing.  

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #1,774 of 6,742
  Thanks, I will have to consider this.  I just got the T1.2's today, and they are still breaking in.  They are definitely bright.  But they also have a way of grabbing your attention that the Elears do not have.  I'm trying not to analyze too much until they are broken in.  They definitely have qualities to them so far that I enjoy, but the Achilles' heel may be the treble.  I'm hoping it mellows out with time, or my ears are able to adjust.  If not, I'll be going back to the Elears for sure.  I will say that the midrange on the T1.2's is very intriguing.  

Why not just figure out a nice EQ treble cut that works with the T 1.2?

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #1,775 of 6,742
Pretty certain that the issues were only from the demo units and intermittent at best.
Focal will definitely reach out and correct it, if anything.

My SoCal buddies: at least 4 of them have the Elears on hand without ever having had any problems.

I mean, what do I know? I only have three pairs of them myself. :gs1000smile:  
I thought the original issue was with some kind of loose screw or something like that. Beats me man.

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #1,776 of 6,742
I thought the original issue was with some kind of loose screw or something like that. Beats me man.

All good!
I'm just looking forward to the Z1Rs shipping now.
We in this together lol
Can't wait to unbox them

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #1,777 of 6,742
All good!
We in this together lol
Can't wait to unbox them

Me also, I paid back on November 5th and still waiting for my Z1R. Should be here by the 15th of January.

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #1,778 of 6,742
  Me also, I paid back on November 5th and still waiting for my Z1R. Should be here by the 15th of January.

Dang, that's early lol
I guess they're just waiting on the new batch.
Did you already get the shipping notification? 

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #1,779 of 6,742

Dang, that's early lol
I guess they're just waiting on the new batch.
Did you already get the shipping notification? 

My source is in the US and he finally heard from his Sony manager that January the 4th they are shipping a few Z1Rs to him so that is all I have now to go on. I have dealt with this dealer before and he is rock solid so unless Sony keeps screwing around everything should be fine.

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #1,780 of 6,742
All good!
We in this together lol
Can't wait to unbox them
You damn right lol

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #1,781 of 6,742
  My source is in the US and he finally heard from his Sony manager that January the 4th they are shipping a few Z1Rs to him so that is all I have now to go on. I have dealt with this dealer before and he is rock solid so unless Sony keeps screwing around everything should be fine.

Guess we're going to sit tight and wait. But for the price, I'd say it's worth it. 

The other option would be to import one from Southeast Asia, which I just don't feel comfortable doing.

Dec 31, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #1,782 of 6,742
I had a chance to listen to the new Sony flagship and yes they do sound slightly better then the elear but no way in heck do they sound $1200 better then the elear. The elear for its $999 is fairly priced you do get more bang for. Your buck. I have the t1 (first gen) and compairing those the elear definitely is the more bareable one to me atleast to my ears lol.

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #1,783 of 6,742
  Why not just figure out a nice EQ treble cut that works with the T 1.2?

Sure, that's always an option.  I've personally never been big on EQing.  I guess it's just the purist in me.  How would that work with things like Tidal and Spotify though?

My T 1.2s are still breaking in, but they have a very intriguing sound signature.  Something about the detail and layering in the midrange that tends to completely suck me in.  Then at other moments there is sibilance that detracts.  I'm hoping this calms down a bit with break in, but I'm not holding my breath.  Seems like something you just have to get used to if you want to become a fan of the T 1.2s.

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #1,784 of 6,742

I'm wondering if that "rattle" you guys are hearing is the driver bottoming out due to power/bass.  I had that weird thud sound with the loaner pair only when I was cranking both the volume and bass a bit more than earlier and it went away and never returned when I lowered the bass tone controls.

Oregonian, you mentioned that the Dharma was your second favorite headphone, and we've chatted on the Dharma thread some time ago. I compared the LCD series with the Elear, and ended up buying an LCD-3 on the sales form. Currently, have my Dharma and the 3. Overall, I prefer the 3, but for some recordings it sounds thick and syrupy, while the Dharma picks up more treble detail. When, I go to the Dharma, I miss the bass and warmth, though.  I'd like to marry the two-the warmth of the LCD-3 with the resolution and clarity up top of the Dharma.

I've actually thought of selling my Dharma for an Elear. I'm wondering which would make the best pair-LCD-3 + Dharma or Elear?

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #1,785 of 6,742
  For those based in Europe ForzaAudioWorks is an excellent option, I ordered custom Balanced cable at a very good price, they can custom make it for any lenght and also based on preferred sound signature (copper or silverplated) for increased bass or tamed treble :)

Hi All,

I will become most likely a happy Focal Elear owner within a couple of days, just wondering exactly which configuration you went for at ForzaAudioworks ?

Happy New Year !!  :)  I'll use it with a Mojo for now....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back