Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Dec 24, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #1,637 of 6,742
  Vocal is what I really care about because I mainly listen to pop.

So you think T1.2 is better than Elear in terms of vocal?

I think it's because of the dip in the upper mids is what hurts the Elear, in many ways it's better than the T1.2's but not at what I care most about with headphones, the vocals, the T1.2 just has more body and naturalness to it's vocals. Honestly simple EQ may fix the problem for me, but I will try that a bit later. Honestly this is the one thing that prevents me from absolutely loving the sound of the Elear, it nails essentially everything else but the problem is in the one area I care about the most. It has me a bit frustrated because it's almost there for me.

Dec 24, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #1,638 of 6,742
  I think it's because of the dip in the upper mids is what hurts the Elear, in many ways it's better than the T1.2's but not at what I care most about with headphones, the vocals, the T1.2 just has more body and naturalness to it's vocals. Honestly simple EQ may fix the problem for me, but I will try that a bit later. Honestly this is the one thing that prevents me from absolutely loving the sound of the Elear, it nails essentially everything else but the problem is in the one area I care about the most. It has me a bit frustrated because it's almost there for me.

Try HM5 hybrid or pleather pads.  You might need some front damping depending on your treble tolerances, but they are an easy way to totally fix the upper mids.

Dec 24, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #1,639 of 6,742

Try HM5 hybrid or pleather pads.  You might need some front damping depending on your treble tolerances, but they are an easy way to totally fix the upper mids.

I have a feeling it can be fixed, but it's not my headphone, I just have it in house for a bit. It's a headphone I'm trying out and I was heavily considering, but I decided to cross it off my list now after spending a few days with it considering the price. The thing is I like the T1.2 more, and I liked the DT 1990(the happiest I've been with a headphone so far) more than the T1.2. I decided I'm going to buy Beyer Amiron instead as it seems to be the HD 650 upgrade I've been looking for based on what my good friend(someone who I fully trust their impressions of headphones) is telling me. I decided when I get my flagship headphone, I'll just save more and aim higher.

Dec 25, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #1,641 of 6,742
Question about the Elear....

I want to try using an adaptor for balnaced 4 pin XLR connection.

Is this recommended and safe to do?
Will there be any sonic improvement?

Why not get a balanced cable for the Elear's that's what I'm going to do..

Dec 25, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #1,642 of 6,742
Makes sense....

Another option I could do is to use an existing "balanced" 4 pin XLR cable and get an adaptor for the headphone end.

Will this work?

Depends on what gear you have, and why you are trying to get balanced in the first place.  Adapters may negate the small benefit- I'd say get the correct cable for the headphones and amp you are going to use together- and don't get too caught up in the "magic" of so-called balanced connection.  There are many great sounding single-ended amps in the first place.

Dec 25, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #1,643 of 6,742
I just had a chance to listen to the Elear for about half an hour and was quite impressed withf its sound quality especially the exceptional resolution of dynamic nuances. I found tonality very good but not perfect in the mids.
But I have some concerns about long term comfort. The ear pads and pressure on the ears are fine but I found that the headband is not distributing the weight and puts it all on a relative small area on the top of the head. So I am afraid that I will find it too uncomfortable for hours of listening. Any comments from long term experience?

Dec 25, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #1,644 of 6,742
I just had a chance to listen to the Elear for about half an hour and was quite impressed withf its sound quality especially the exceptional resolution of dynamic nuances. I found tonality very good but not perfect in the mids.
But I have some concerns about long term comfort. The ear pads and pressure on the ears are fine but I found that the headband is not distributing the weight and puts it all on a relative small area on the top of the head. So I am afraid that I will find it too uncomfortable for hours of listening. Any comments from long term experience?

How to delete double posts?

Dec 25, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #1,645 of 6,742

How to delete double posts?

Some people will definitely prefer less weight, and I have read in this forum many times that people generally consider this to be a nuisance. As such, this was a primary concern of mine when purchasing, however I have found that I actually enjoy the weight. The Elear is certainly heavier than my other cans, but I find them to be the most comfortable.
I'd suggest you find a local dealer that allows for an at-home audition and find out for yourself. Everyone has different preferences. I've found that I am comfortable for 5 hours at a time (which has been my record thus far).

Too, seriously: how do you delete posts?

Dec 25, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #1,646 of 6,742
I also get a "hot" spot at the top of my head, not as bad as with some other headphones, but not the most comfortable I've used (the Senn 650 is the winner in that category for me).

Dec 25, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #1,647 of 6,742
Makes sense....

Another option I could do is to use an existing "balanced" 4 pin XLR cable and get an adaptor for the headphone end.

Will this work?

Depends on what gear you have, and why you are trying to get balanced in the first place.  Adapters may negate the small benefit- I'd say get the correct cable for the headphones and amp you are going to use together- and don't get too caught up in the "magic" of so-called balanced connection.  There are many great sounding single-ended amps in the first place.

The 4-pin XLR Q cable that I have was originally made for Audeze.

I have an adaptor which is used with HD800 in balanced mode and want to try an adaptor using the same Q Cable to save some money.

Q Cable has adaptors for the Elear and wanted to make sure this will be fine before purchasing.

Dec 25, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #1,648 of 6,742
Does anyone know where I can get a 4 pin xlr balanced cable for the Elear's without spending lots of $$ the ones i'm finding are in the xxx.xx too much thanks..enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back