Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Dec 23, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #1,621 of 6,742

I'm interested to hear your comparison between them and if they are on the same level.

premature to say, but I will anyway...I prefer the Elear for it's dynamics and clarity, soundstaging, bass definition and texture too (maybe there's a bit of that newest headphone syndrome).  I actually don't even like the sound of the HD6XX compared to my 6 year old HD650 at this point, so I do need to give the HD6XX time to burn in.  I still love my HD650; it's like putting on a comfortable pair of slippers, maybe not the flashiest thing out there, but I still enjoy them.  If the HD6XX ends up sounding more like my HD650, then it'll be an amazing buy at $200.

Dec 23, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #1,622 of 6,742
Loving my Focal Elears! Probably will publish a review on it. 

I've owned an extensive collection of headphones, but have kept the HE-1000 and the SR507 as my main cans. 

The Elears are exactly what I imagined them to be. The upper mids and lower treble doesn't bother me at all. 
If you've ever owned Focal products, this is typical of their sonic signature. 

Overall, the Elear just does things right (holistically). It's not the most detailed, most balanced, most transparent, etc. 
But it still sounds damn good, with better clarity than the Edition X v1/v2 that I previously demoed/owned. Which I think has a very similar presentation.

Unfortunately, the large amount of negative feedback are probably due to the fact that the Elears can be picky with equipment. 
While easy to drive, they're finicky about equipment pairing.
Probably why most of the top reviewers have been giving it positive feedback, able to hear it on all sorts of rigs.
I personally found the Elear sounds amazing with the Cavalli products, though the Chord Hugo is an alternative if you don't wanna break the bank. 

I do wonder if the headband can be replaced. I'm sure the leather will start rubbing off, as the material tends to be uneven.

Dec 23, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #1,623 of 6,742

I really need to try those HD650.  I am not sure the Matrix M stage will be able to drive them properly though.   

The 650's are very nice I really enjoyed them but still not near the level of the Elear's, I've been looking at the Nighthawks for my gaming rig any of you guys ever have a listen? ..enjoy

Dec 23, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #1,624 of 6,742
  The 650's are very nice I really enjoyed them but still not near the level of the Elear's, I've been looking at the Nighthawks for my gaming rig any of you guys ever have a listen? ..enjoy

The Nighthawk has a strange sound to me and it is the definition of the "Sennheiser veil" to me.  I really couldn't get in to its sound signature for the time I spent with them.  It seems to have a either you like them or leave them sound.

Dec 23, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #1,625 of 6,742

The Nighthawk has a strange sound to me and it is the definition of the "Sennheiser veil" to me.  I really couldn't get in to its sound signature for the time I spent with them.  It seems to have a either you like them or leave them sound.

Thanks dude much appreciated, others have said the same thing..enjoy

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #1,626 of 6,742

It's very strange. I think that a surprising number of companies have non-transferable warranties, but they don't advertise it, so consumers don't question it. Most companies tend to be pretty lax when it comes to warranties though (Apple).

Still, I wouldn't worry about Focal, who has been making some of the finest speakers in the world for many years.

It's a big purchase for me, so I do worry a bit. I got mine from Head-Fi and traditionally in hi-fi I've seen a fairly rigid structure with regards to the chain of importers, distributors etc. In the past there have been situations where the manufacturer said you should deal with the local representative, who basically said 'piss off', since they had been bypassed by sourcing gear from abroad. You do see less of this nowadays since local businesses are forced to focus on service because they cannot compete with giant online stores(such as Thomann). I'm probably getting ahead myself since my pair hasn't developed problems(knock on wood), but I get antsy about stuff like this sometimes. Instead of the joy of discovering new sounds and instruments in familiar songs I find myself looking for signs of distortion like a paranoiac
rolleyes.gif

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #1,627 of 6,742
Thinking about getting the ifi Ican to power these better has anyone heard this combo I mean it has 4 watts of power to drive the elears or is this overkill for the elears. It seems like the elears loves power even though they are easy to drive.

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #1,629 of 6,742

But it still sounds damn good, with better clarity than the Edition X v1/v2 that I previously demoed/owned. Which I think has a very similar presentation.

Funny I own both X V2 & Elear and on my combo Modi MB + NFB 1amp I would say the opposite.
Important to say : Hifiman is used with Forza XLR cable while Elear is plugged into SE heaphone out. But the difference in clarity is pretty big, enough to sell my Elear at the end.

Dec 24, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #1,630 of 6,742
  Funny I own both X V2 & Elear and on my combo Modi MB + NFB 1amp I would say the opposite.
Important to say : Hifiman is used with Forza XLR cable while Elear is plugged into SE heaphone out. But the difference in clarity is pretty big, enough to sell my Elear at the end.

The Hifimans are meant to be utilized with mobile devices, and generally sound the same out of any setup.
I've auditioned the Edition X v1 for 3 weeks, owned the v2 for a few months. Pretty confident in saying they're nowhere near end-game in terms of clarity and resolution.
Also, not to detract your setup, but you're running a Modi and a Chinese NFB amp. I was saying in my initial statement that I was utilizing Cavalli amps (Liquid Carbon 2, Crimson, Glass) with the Elear. Even the Chord Hugo will offer a substantial improvement over the Modi+NFB.

The Elears scale way beyond their level. They're like the HD650s for that reason, probably why they're compared as such (that and sonic presentation).
I judge them at their best, not their worst.

I also own a HE-1000 and a SR-007 MK2/SR-507. And I still enjoy the Elears. 
At the end of day, I'm happy with my headphones.

Dec 24, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #1,631 of 6,742
Just got my Elear from The Source AV! Jason made sure my experience and transaction was really smooth. I would recommend anyone to check out the store if you're in the area. You won't regret it! As for the Elear, my initial impressions is that I love the accuracy of the headphones. It is a very balanced headphone with just enough extra top and low end to make it a much more enjoyable listening experience. It is completely non fatiguing and a very natural and enjoyable to listen to for long periods of time. The build quality is top notch and the clamp is just perfect to get that tight seal without it being overly pressured. I can't wait to get more time with it to really get a feel for its sound.

Now my next step is to find an amp/dac. I see a lot of people recommending the chord mojo but I was also wondering how it pairs with the jotunheim. I'm also open to any other suggestions in that same price range! I did a search but couldn't really find a definitive answer. I would appreciate anyone who is willing to help

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #1,633 of 6,742
Question about the Elear....

I want to try using an adaptor for balnaced 4 pin XLR connection.

Is this recommended and safe to do?
Will there be any sonic improvement?

It will not work, you need to use a different cable.  At best, an adapter will not change the sound- at worst you could harm the headphone amp.....  you cannot adapt 3-conductors to 4 conductors.  You have to start with 4, hence needing a different cable.

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #1,634 of 6,742
Been trying out the Elear for a couple days so far. I like them but I wouldn't say I love them for a couple reasons, the headband feels like it's digging into my head slightly after a couple hours. And it's vocals sound slightly off compared to the T1 gen 2, DT 1990, and HD 650, it's not a big deal and I do forget about it with long term listening but becomes quite apparent after I switch back and as things currently are I will take the T1.2 or DT 1990(possibly the Amiron but haven't heard them) over the Elear. I haven't compared them with the Nighthawks much yet but so far I do like them more than the Hawks(haven't listened to the Hawks much for a while). 

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #1,635 of 6,742
Question about the Elear....

I want to try using an adaptor for balnaced 4 pin XLR connection.

Is this recommended and safe to do?

Will there be any sonic improvement?

It will not work, you need to use a different cable.  At best, an adapter will not change the sound- at worst you could harm the headphone amp.....  you cannot adapt 3-conductors to 4 conductors.  You have to start with 4, hence needing a different cable.

Makes sense....

Another option I could do is to use an existing "balanced" 4 pin XLR cable and get an adaptor for the headphone end.

Will this work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back