Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Dec 26, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #1,651 of 6,742
  I am finding more and more that the iDSD is not a good match for the Elear.  It has a nice warm sound, but this tends to be "too much of a good thing" when combined with the Elear.  My comparisons are with an Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2.  For strictly desktop use, I can't justify the price of the iDSD over my old DF 1.2.  Also, with the Elear and iDSD, the gain is always way too high.  I have it set to "Eco" mode, and in that mode, I can barely get the volume past 9-10 o clock.  It was suggested by someone to try the "IEM Match" mode to lower the gain further, which then enables me to get the volume knob up to around 12-1 o clock, but it loses a lot of impact and dynamics in the IEM Match mode.  Not sure what is done internally when enabling those mode, but it has a very negative impact.  I will most likely be returning the iDSD if I plan to keep the Elear.

I would say myself as midrange lover too, and if you have chance please try it with any of of Chord products (Mojo or Hugo or even Dave). Dunno how it is, but I feel there's a special synergy between Focal and Chord products, especially in capturing the realism in vocality and imaging (particularly in depth and height soundstage).

I've never heard her before, but since I just received my Elears and am catching up this thread, I gave them both a listen.  Certainly great extraction of detail.  At about 2:05 on O Holy Night, there are some cars honking in the background and I thought it was at my house, so I had to reply that segment a couple times just to confirm (and then out the window on the video, you see some flashing lights go by).  I also then quickly tried replaying this with my Ether Flows, which definitely didn't sound as prominent.  not sure which is the most accurate (yeah, i'm being a nerd about background sounds in a recording).  

1. 110

LOL, I also did the same! I don't expect the horn is from the song itself when I listen that video for the first time (I wasn't aware it's live recording at all)

Unfortunately, the large amount of negative feedback are probably due to the fact that the Elears can be picky with equipment. 
While easy to drive, they're finicky about equipment pairing.
Probably why most of the top reviewers have been giving it positive feedback, able to hear it on all sorts of rigs.
I personally found the Elear sounds amazing with the Cavalli products, though the Chord Hugo is an alternative if you don't wanna break the bank. 

Agree with this.

Vocal is what I really care about because I mainly listen to pop.

So you think T1.2 is better than Elear in terms of vocal?

Vocal presentation and quality will goes for Focal, though speed in bass still in Beyer tho.

How about soundstage?

I've read some reviews said that Elear lack depth of soundstage.

I think that t1 is very good at constructing that depth.

Can you compare these two in terms of soundstage?

If I have to net picking, I would say Elear is a bit lack in width. Still excel in depth, and especially height tho.

I also get a "hot" spot at the top of my head, not as bad as with some other headphones, but not the most comfortable I've used (the Senn 650 is the winner in that category for me).

Maybe try to use is with one click shorter? That would help generally.

Dec 26, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #1,652 of 6,742
Just very sensitive on bald noggin, the HE-1000 does that to me as well (and most seem to think of this as a very comfortable headphone). NOTHING I've used over/on ear is as comfortable as my old, dearly departed Seen 650 (which I sold because I hardly used them, but comfort wise they were the best I've used).

Dec 26, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #1,654 of 6,742
Where can you get the Sony for $1500?  I'm interested in it too, but waiting for price to drop.

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #1,656 of 6,742
Thanks.  Geez, must resist, I got to drop this hobby and go back to planted tank :)

Dec 26, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #1,657 of 6,742
Yes, Amazon UK. Apologies, I would have said so outright, but was unsure what the rules were regarding directly naming retailers...

Anybody have an opinion on which I should go for? The Elear is unquestionably a bargain at $999, but so is the Z1R at $1500...

...And I just watched myself type that $1000 and $1500 headphones are "bargains". I'm insane. We're all insane. :p

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #1,658 of 6,742
Technically, a $1000 list price sold for $1000 is not a bargain, whatever you think of the current state of list prices. A $3000 headphone for $2000 would be (though you may like the $1k one more). Very insane business, but that's what it is.

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #1,659 of 6,742
Yes, Amazon UK. Apologies, I would have said so outright, but was unsure what the rules were regarding directly naming retailers...

Anybody have an opinion on which I should go for? The Elear is unquestionably a bargain at $999, but so is the Z1R at $1500...

...And I just watched myself type that $1000 and $1500 headphones are "bargains". I'm insane. We're all insane. :p

Haha. Funny stuff. Agreed about the insanity thing. Can't tell which way to go, however good luck.

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #1,661 of 6,742
  Thanks dude much appreciated, others have said the same thing..enjoy

I currently own both the Elear and Nighthawk.  The thing about the Nighthawk is they can definitely sound too laid back if you go into them expecting a headphone that forces sound upon you like so many other headphones.  If you aren't willing to focus in on their sound and get to know them, you won't find them rewarding.  Their main attraction is tone.  While I'd say the tone of the Elear is clear with good insight into harmonics, the Nighthawk have such a velvety pleasant presentation to the mids, like a warm blanket of cascading tonal colors.  If you are a midrange head, you should be able to enjoy the Nighthawks.  Now for a gaming rig, that I don't know.  I used them briefly on my PC with some games, but I haven't been into gaming lately so my judgement of that wouldn't be useful.

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #1,662 of 6,742
  I currently own both the Elear and Nighthawk.  The thing about the Nighthawk is they can definitely sound too laid back if you go into them expecting a headphone that forces sound upon you like so many other headphones.  If you aren't willing to focus in on their sound and get to know them, you won't find them rewarding.  Their main attraction is tone.  While I'd say the tone of the Elear is clear with good insight into harmonics, the Nighthawk have such a velvety pleasant presentation to the mids, like a warm blanket of cascading tonal colors.  If you are a midrange head, you should be able to enjoy the Nighthawks.  Now for a gaming rig, that I don't know.  I used them briefly on my PC with some games, but I haven't been into gaming lately so my judgement of that wouldn't be useful.

I have both in house myself, both have very low distortion so in that aspect very similar. I do think the Nighthawks have the better midrange of the two headphones. The mids are really a strong point of the Hawks, I rate them better than the HD 600/650 in the mids, only really liked the DT 1990 in the sub-$1000 category more in terms of mids(not as velvety smooth as the Hawks but so sweet sounding). Both the Elear and Nighthawks are both good for gaming as both have good imaging, the Elear does have the edge in imaging and detail retrieval, I've used both extensively for it.

I'm about to order a pair of Beyerdynamic Amiron's, curious how they compare to the Elears and Hawks as they are supposed to be another darker and smooth sounding headphone. I did have a chance to hear the Sony MDR-Z1R for a few hours earlier today and holy crap they are pretty much end game for me, simply a league above the Elear and Nighthawk. Time to start saving for a pair.

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #1,663 of 6,742
  I have both in house myself, both have very low distortion so in that aspect very similar. I do think the Nighthawks have the better midrange of the two headphones. The mids are really a strong point of the Hawks, I rate them better than the HD 600/650 in the mids, only really liked the DT 1990 in the sub-$1000 category more in terms of mids(not as velvety smooth as the Hawks but so sweet sounding). Both the Elear and Nighthawks are both good for gaming as both have good imaging, the Elear does have the edge in imaging and detail retrieval, I've used both extensively for it.

I'm about to order a pair of Beyerdynamic Amiron's, curious how they compare to the Elears and Hawks as they are supposed to be another darker and smooth sounding headphone. I did have a chance to hear the Sony MDR-Z1R for a few hours earlier today and holy crap they are pretty much end game for me, simply a league above the Elear and Nighthawk. Time to start saving for a pair.

Yea, i just received my Nighthawks on Christmas, But the Z1R are my next set as well. 

Dec 27, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #1,665 of 6,742
Just very sensitive on bald noggin, the HE-1000 does that to me as well (and most seem to think of this as a very comfortable headphone). NOTHING I've used over/on ear is as comfortable as my old, dearly departed Seen 650 (which I sold because I hardly used them, but comfort wise they were the best I've used).

I don't think this person makes an Elear specific variety, but I'm pretty sure there are generics in here. In any case, very comfortable wool headband for my friend Grado!
http://stores.ebay.com/wang-yifei-2009/Headband-Cushion-/_i.html?_fsub=5905757015

Users who are viewing this thread

Back