Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #1,666 of 6,742
Just very sensitive on bald noggin, the HE-1000 does that to me as well (and most seem to think of this as a very comfortable headphone). NOTHING I've used over/on ear is as comfortable as my old, dearly departed Seen 650 (which I sold because I hardly used them, but comfort wise they were the best I've used).

I don't think this person makes an Elear specific variety, but I'm pretty sure there are generics in here. In any case, very comfortable wool headband for my friend Grado!
http://stores.ebay.com/wang-yifei-2009/Headband-Cushion-/_i.html?_fsub=5905757015

Thanks, I've used these in the past (have them around somewhere), never found them to make much of a difference for me. Just a really sensitive guy :)rolleyes: )

Dec 27, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #1,668 of 6,742
Haven't tried the HE-500, have the 560, I find it more comfortable than the Elears (but, different strokes, everyone's comfort can vary, ymmv, and all the other disclaimers out there...)

Dec 27, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #1,670 of 6,742
 the only hp's that hifiman makes that can compete with the Elear's is the insanely over priced he-1000's.. imo..

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #1,671 of 6,742
 the only hp's that hifiman makes that can compete with the Elear's is the insanely over priced he-1000's.. imo..

The he-500 produce nice sounds but I found the dynamic quite boring. Lack of fun. Maybe too analytical for my taste. After having the Elear for a few weeks I am sure I will not come back to the he-500. They are simply not in the same league.

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #1,672 of 6,742

HE-6

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #1,674 of 6,742
What's the general concensus on the Elear vs. Hifiman Edition X v2? I'm really struggling with my decision on these two. 

FWIW, I have a 64 audio U12 IEM and love it. Would like something with a similar enough sound signature, but also slightly different. Maybe a tad more sparkle. Would be using it at home / office while working and reading.

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #1,675 of 6,742
  What's the general concensus on the Elear vs. Hifiman Edition X v2? I'm really struggling with my decision on these two. 

FWIW, I have a 64 audio U12 IEM and love it. Would like something with a similar enough sound signature, but also slightly different. Maybe a tad more sparkle. Would be using it at home / office while working and reading.

I think i asked this question earlier, Or searched to see any comparisons. I found a bunch of nothings lol

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #1,677 of 6,742
deadhorse.gif
Quote:

YEap!!

Me to!

There is no comparison in the forum.
I read several opinions  that HIfiman X has a mellow sound , less dynamics and the build quality is cheap.

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #1,678 of 6,742
Since i posted this on the loaner thread like a good guy. Here is my review i made over a week ago. So some folks can laugh and tickle and my approach in reviewing a product. It was my cherry popping experience lol Since this is the Elear impressions thread, i also would like to post it here too. I'm bored in the office as usual. **** else to do. 

I will start my review with a big thank you to Todd for my opportunity in this review !!!, It was a roller coaster poop show in obtaining an amp in time for this review. My amp was lost in the mail. The shipping company decided to use it in one of there own vehicles it seems. Because it never showed up. 

Amp used : Fiio A3 - WIth the power equivalent to a paper airplane pushed out by a hot air balloon. It barely drove the Elear to volumes i wanted them at. 

Box presentation : The box came nicely packaged from the loaner before me. The actual box to the headphones screams QUALITY ! to me. I love the all black, sleek design to it, and stylish interior.

Cable : This section deserves a mention on it's own. The cable is ridiculous! and i mean that in the most negative way. Was it's length meant for you to tie yourself to a chair ? Because it's so Long that you have to tie it to something. The thickness of it and weight is also a very big concern. It's a very uncomfortable cable. It's to freaking heavy/thick/long. 

Headphone design : I LOVE the look of the headphones themselves. The all black metal mesh cups, With the silver Hinges, Silver Logo, And writing. They look a lot better in person than in Pictures. It's a knock out design wise for me. 

Comfort/Fit : Well, they are comfortable but heavier than all my cans, After i move them about on my head for at-least a few minutes in each listening session than they became comfortable. Due to the cups sitting in a weird spot under my ear lob. The headband is comfortable, The weight doesn't bother me much, but the cable weight pulls down on them a little if you don't hold the slack on your legs during listening so it's a real pain in the rear end, to constantly monitor the cable's location. The worse cable in the history of headphones. I just had to mention it a second time, because it's a choice that baffles my designer senses in which it was chosen over any other choice available. 

Music choice : Various, Rap/Hip-hop,Rock,Indie,Techno/Trance. Artist ? to many to list here. I my music addiction added 3,000 songs in 12 months alone. 

Vocals ; The male/Female vocals sounded GREAT !!!! Boy, finally  a headphone that pulled me in, smacked me around! and threw me out!, wanting to be hit face first with sound again !!!! 
So for the next 7 days i been dealing with this relationship wanting more and more. They we're CLEAR !, CRISP, Tasty !. They sounded natural, Very organic in performance. 

Upper treble : No to any kind of sibilance in the highs what so ever, Never any kind of cringe worthy moments in any of the songs  that i listened to. And i mentioned that i spent a lot of time hearing everything i could catch. I'm not that familiarized with how to properly word  what i'm hearing in the highs what so ever, I'm more mid's and bass oriented. 

Mids : They are full, in you're face and sounding very good. Or maybe it's a mixture of the smooth bass response at lower volumes, I'll get to in the below section. I heard all the back ground sounds very clearly with a nice smooth punch behind them. Drums we're presented smoothly in separate locations in the sound spectrum. 

Bass : Okay, here is where it went from AWESOME, to a let down 
frown.gif
, because the headphones had a rattling noise, distortion in the above 3/4 volume mark in all my listening sessions. During drum and bass, And Hip-hop/Rap. If the next reviewer get's them and hears what i heard, Than they might be defective. This was my first actual review, so maybe i was doing something wrong. I don't know. But the bass sounded excellent in lower volumes. Full, thick, tight. Just like my ladies. There was overall weight to the sound, thanks to the bass section.

Overall conclusion : The hardest part to this first newbie review done by me is ..... Packing them back up and sending them out ! Going over all the steps in reverse of unpacking them in the first place. They sounded borderline intoxicating to me !!!! i listened to so many songs i was drunk off music i need music anonymous to open up shop. Eyes closed, and i heard heaven calling me home. This is not hype. I love these things A-LOT. In January i will be placing an order on these, and some other ones. But this is not about another lady. This is about you Elear lol. 
I might not be a qualified professional, But i'm a writer/Producer in my spare time. So i naturally know what sounds good. 

Thank you very much for this opportunity. 

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #1,680 of 6,742
  Since i posted this on the loaner thread like a good guy. Here is my review i made over a week ago. So some folks can laugh and tickle and my approach in reviewing a product. It was my cherry popping experience lol Since this is the Elear impressions thread, i also would like to post it here too. I'm bored in the office as usual. **** else to do. 

I will start my review with a big thank you to Todd for my opportunity in this review !!!, It was a roller coaster poop show in obtaining an amp in time for this review. My amp was lost in the mail. The shipping company decided to use it in one of there own vehicles it seems. Because it never showed up. 

Amp used : Fiio A3 - WIth the power equivalent to a paper airplane pushed out by a hot air balloon. It barely drove the Elear to volumes i wanted them at. 

Box presentation : The box came nicely packaged from the loaner before me. The actual box to the headphones screams QUALITY ! to me. I love the all black, sleek design to it, and stylish interior.

Cable : This section deserves a mention on it's own. The cable is ridiculous! and i mean that in the most negative way. Was it's length meant for you to tie yourself to a chair ? Because it's so Long that you have to tie it to something. The thickness of it and weight is also a very big concern. It's a very uncomfortable cable. It's to freaking heavy/thick/long. 

Headphone design : I LOVE the look of the headphones themselves. The all black metal mesh cups, With the silver Hinges, Silver Logo, And writing. They look a lot better in person than in Pictures. It's a knock out design wise for me. 

Comfort/Fit : Well, they are comfortable but heavier than all my cans, After i move them about on my head for at-least a few minutes in each listening session than they became comfortable. Due to the cups sitting in a weird spot under my ear lob. The headband is comfortable, The weight doesn't bother me much, but the cable weight pulls down on them a little if you don't hold the slack on your legs during listening so it's a real pain in the rear end, to constantly monitor the cable's location. The worse cable in the history of headphones. I just had to mention it a second time, because it's a choice that baffles my designer senses in which it was chosen over any other choice available. 

Music choice : Various, Rap/Hip-hop,Rock,Indie,Techno/Trance. Artist ? to many to list here. I my music addiction added 3,000 songs in 12 months alone. 

Vocals ; The male/Female vocals sounded GREAT !!!! Boy, finally  a headphone that pulled me in, smacked me around! and threw me out!, wanting to be hit face first with sound again !!!! 
So for the next 7 days i been dealing with this relationship wanting more and more. They we're CLEAR !, CRISP, Tasty !. They sounded natural, Very organic in performance. 

Upper treble : No to any kind of sibilance in the highs what so ever, Never any kind of cringe worthy moments in any of the songs  that i listened to. And i mentioned that i spent a lot of time hearing everything i could catch. I'm not that familiarized with how to properly word  what i'm hearing in the highs what so ever, I'm more mid's and bass oriented. 

Mids : They are full, in you're face and sounding very good. Or maybe it's a mixture of the smooth bass response at lower volumes, I'll get to in the below section. I heard all the back ground sounds very clearly with a nice smooth punch behind them. Drums we're presented smoothly in separate locations in the sound spectrum. 

Bass : Okay, here is where it went from AWESOME, to a let down 
frown.gif
, because the headphones had a rattling noise, distortion in the above 3/4 volume mark in all my listening sessions. During drum and bass, And Hip-hop/Rap. If the next reviewer get's them and hears what i heard, Than they might be defective. This was my first actual review, so maybe i was doing something wrong. I don't know. But the bass sounded excellent in lower volumes. Full, thick, tight. Just like my ladies. There was overall weight to the sound, thanks to the bass section.

Overall conclusion : The hardest part to this first newbie review done by me is ..... Packing them back up and sending them out ! Going over all the steps in reverse of unpacking them in the first place. They sounded borderline intoxicating to me !!!! i listened to so many songs i was drunk off music i need music anonymous to open up shop. Eyes closed, and i heard heaven calling me home. This is not hype. I love these things A-LOT. In January i will be placing an order on these, and some other ones. But this is not about another lady. This is about you Elear lol. 
I might not be a qualified professional, But i'm a writer/Producer in my spare time. So i naturally know what sounds good. 

Thank you very much for this opportunity. 

Thanks for the review.  Crisp and Tasty indeed! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back