Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Dec 2, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #1,337 of 6,742
  I know frequency response tests are all relative to the test setup, but I do note that the manufacturer states the frequency response is 5Hz - 23kHz (-3dB).  This suggests that there aren't any drastic dips along that curve until 23kHz.  How does this jive with the 4-5khz gap?  

They two aren't related at all.  Focal's number might suggest only frequency extension, in which it's only -3db down at those extremes compared to their closest frequencies, but the frequencies in between the top and bottom could be full of nulls and spikes.  Hard to put much stock in the manufacturer's numbers to begin with.  In particular, the bass starts rolling off at around 40hz.  By 30hz it's at least 5db down compared to its mid-bass (subjectively).  It loses steam in the 20hz region.

Here's a graph showing the 5khz dip.

Dec 2, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #1,338 of 6,742

They two aren't related at all.  Focal's number might suggest only frequency extension, in which it's only -3db down at those extremes compared to their closest frequencies, but the frequencies in between the top and bottom could be full of nulls and spikes.  Hard to put much stock in the manufacturer's numbers to begin with.  In particular, the bass starts rolling off at around 40hz.  By 30hz it's at least 5db down compared to its mid-bass (subjectively).  It loses steam in the 20hz region.

Here's a graph showing the 5khz dip.

Yes, but look at the graph, it sweeps from 10Hz to roughly 23kHz, and there is way more than -3dB at the extremes based on inner fidelity's test setup.  If Focal's testing method registers -3dB at the ends, then wouldn't this suggest there is less of a dip at 5kHz as well -- perhaps the curve they have is more compressed?   

Dec 2, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #1,339 of 6,742
  I know frequency response tests are all relative to the test setup, but I do note that the manufacturer states the frequency response is 5Hz - 23kHz (-3dB).  This suggests that there aren't any drastic dips along that curve until 23kHz.  How does this jive with the 4-5khz gap?  

I suggest that those are very liberal marketing manufacturer specs, much like speaker manufacturers that rate their products as having bass at least 1-2 octaves lower than they actually do.

My question for Elear owners is if the noticeable dip in that treble region is particularly bothersome or intrusive for rock?

Dec 4, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #1,340 of 6,742
Anybody local to New York with an Elear willing to trade a coffee for a brief listen?

Not closer than the other poster, Central NJ (Westfield), have a loaner for review

Got through 30 pages of this thread and the Elear/Utopia thread (30 of each), eyes are bleary, can't do more for now.
My initial impressions of the Elear (and I haven't done a lot of head to head or higher priced source comparisons yet), seems nice but polite (I don't think too may think that), especially the highs, which seem rolled off to me. Maybe because I've been mostly using portable sources so far, have to go to the Desktop/Living room gear next...

Dec 4, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #1,341 of 6,742
I agree that mild discomfort is the Achilles heel of the Elears. They're comfortable on my head and ears, but their weight starts to fatigue my neck after an hour or two. Part of the problem may be due to my posture when sitting in my easy chair. Maybe if I listened to them every day, my neck muscles would become stronger and I wouldn't notice the weight any more, but for everday listening I usually reach for my HD650.

Dec 4, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #1,342 of 6,742
The 650 (which I used to have, but sold...liked it, but have TOO MUCH STUFF) is superficially similar to the Elear, but much lighter, and MUCH more comfortable, imo. (I think the 650 is among the most comfortable headphones out there)

Dec 4, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #1,343 of 6,742
I switch back and forth between my HD600s and Etymotics.  I don't think the weight would bother me, I wear them for short periods of time mostly.  

I think a good listen would take me off the fence, but it seems like the way it's playing out, there's too few people and retailers with them. 

Dec 5, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #1,345 of 6,742
I notice the weight and clamping force of the Elears, I can live with it but don't love it. Never had the Senn 600,but my old, dearly departed 650s were MUCH more comfortable!

Dec 5, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #1,347 of 6,742
Huh, I thought they were quite comfortable when I auditioned them. In fact was going to take it except they were out of stock. Probably will go back and get it at some point because of the comfort factor. I guess YMMV really rings true here

Dec 5, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #1,348 of 6,742
They're not terrible, I find them at the midway point in comfort, there are worse (Audeze, I'm looking at you), but certainly not as comfortable as Senns. But I'm sensitive; don't think the HE-1000 is all that comfortable, while most think it's great in that respect.

Dec 5, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #1,349 of 6,742
They're not terrible, I find them at the midway point in comfort, there are worse (Audeze, I'm looking at you), but certainly not as comfortable as Senns. But I'm sensitive; don't think the HE-1000 is all that comfortable, while most think it's great in that respect.

LOL! I must be the opposite of sensitive. I went with the LCD-X (love the sound) but yes they are not the most comfortable and after all the talk of Audeze fatigue I was a bit worried. That said, I've been listening to them at least 2 hours a day and have to say I kind of like the massiveness of these babies. Makes me feel enveloped or something and I don't really notice any discomfort -- guess I just got used to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back