Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Nov 30, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #1,311 of 6,742
  I can't listen to LLAT anymore. He's missed the mark on few reviews lately IMO.

I have not agreed with several of his reviews but this one really makes me question his methods. He puts the headphones on backwards twice in this video. If he reviewed them wearing them backwards that had to have impacted his experience and opinion. There is a reason they put an "L" and "R" on the earcups... 

Nov 30, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #1,312 of 6,742
one of the silliest reviews I have seen recently

Nov 30, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #1,313 of 6,742
Whether he put them on backwards or not, he still hit many of the major points about the Elear.  

It weighs quite a lot, it's not the most comfortable headphone.  It will generate a hot-spot on the top of your head after 20minutes compared to other headphones.

There's a small, but drastic dip in the upper midrange-lower treble transition that kills timbre in instrument harmonics.

Tyll said these headphones have no Achilles heel, but those are its two Achilles heels.

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #1,315 of 6,742
It's partly a fault of the earpads, partly a fault of the drivers themselves.  There's no gross acoustic cancellations in ringing in the treble, so EQ does a pretty good job of mitigating the issue.

Now if only something could be done about the weight.

Dec 1, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #1,316 of 6,742
Maybe his talk about strange angle of the drivers is due to wearing them the opposite way :D

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #1,317 of 6,742
  Whether he put them on backwards or not, he still hit many of the major points about the Elear.  

It weighs quite a lot, it's not the most comfortable headphone.  It will generate a hot-spot on the top of your head after 20minutes compared to other headphones.

There's a small, but drastic dip in the upper midrange-lower treble transition that kills timbre in instrument harmonics.

Tyll said these headphones have no Achilles heel, but those are its two Achilles heels.

I do agree that it does have a bit of weight but the elears has to be the most comfortable headphones i ever wore besides the hd600/650. i wear the elears for more than 2 hours straight everyday and i never get any discomfort.

Dec 1, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #1,318 of 6,742
Oh c'mon guys he is talking to a camera and are wearing it just for the sake of demonstration, the cable DOES looks ridiculous, the squeaks DOES sound annoying (the mic catch it few times) and the weight compared to the average DOES sounds heavy, especially for a man like him that used to wear MA900 and R70x as daily, we all can see he value comfort a lot more than normal bloke does.
For me LLAT still is the place to go as his taste match mine in a lot of cases, and his preference of Japanese headphones tuning does reverberate with my testing and experience so I value his review a lot.
It's always good to watch multiple reviews to get different perspectives, and for me, Z Reviews and LLAT (that I trust and know their preferences and circumstances of) gives quite a wide band of viewpoints to wiggle around on. For you, it might be different and you may have already found another reviewer that match yours better but I'll settle with reviews I trust and my own testing as guidance for my purchase.
If the dip in the upper mids - lower treble that noticeable it will be a deal breaker to me too. Again personal testing is important.
And I don't understand the negativity, I think his impressions of it it quite positive, just it doesn't suit his circumstances and preferences.

Dec 1, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #1,320 of 6,742

If anyone is looking for a cable upgrade that does not break the bank. Impact Audio on Etsy makes a really nice cable for the money. I had him make me a balanced 4 pin XLR for my HA-1. Really wakes the Elear's up. Could not be happier with cable and the owner has supper customer interaction and support.

+1 on Impact Audio.  They made me a cable for my HD650 and it is excellent.  Very nicely made and reasonably priced.

My cable is the same colour scheme as yours btw :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back