Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Oct 11, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #931 of 6,742
Some headphones actually do have limiters built in like some of the Beyerdynamic models for sale in UK that had output requirements for safety. That really compress the sound. That happen to me a few years ago. and Amazon shipped me a UK model inside what appears to be a US box. I returned that headphone. I still have the T70 in use since it does have great outside noise rejection. 

Oct 11, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #934 of 6,742
I ordered the Schiit Jotunheim for my Elear cans last week (will go toe to toe with my Mojo).
So now I need to find some customized aftermarket balanced (short) cables.
Suggestions welcome.

Why not just cut to length and reterminate the stock cable? Not to get into a cable debate, but I doubt Focal used a subpar cable sonically.

If you want something different though, many have said silver cables are a nice compliment.

Oct 11, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #935 of 6,742
Focal actually supply the cable that is ready to be terminated in balanced configuration...when I get some time, I planned to chop my cable in half and have one in SE and another in balanced XLR

Oct 11, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #937 of 6,742
Man, the RMAF impressions thread has a winner in my opinion, and it's called Elear. Some people are quite impressed.
Still not sure whether it will sound that fantastic out of my QP1R.
At this time it's Elear or flow open for me. Maybe Elear with an portable amp suiting QP1R, alo v2 I heard several times. Or just ether flow with QP1R, without amp, since wallet is empty. Or flow with portable amp and QP1R, and wallet is empty, and maybe some trouble in family home.
Thoughts of course appreciated

Oct 11, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #938 of 6,742
Y
Man, the RMAF impressions thread has a winner in my opinion, and it's called Elear. Some people are quite impressed.
At this time it's Elear or flow open for me. Maybe Elear with an portable amp suiting QP1R, alo v2 I heard several times. Or just ether flow with QP1R, without amp, since wallet is empty. Or flow with portable amp and QP1R, and wallet is empty, and maybe some trouble in family home.

I have the QP1R and the two cans I am interested in are the Elear and Ether C Flow so looking forward to hearing any responses.

Oct 11, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #939 of 6,742

Y
I have the QP1R and the two cans I am interested in are the Elear and Ether C Flow so looking forward to hearing any responses.

Listening to the Elears directly out of the QP1R right now. Overall it's a good sounding pairing. However on songs with lower recording levels, I felt the QP1R was a little under-powered. In fact on those tracks, my DX80 pushed the Elears better. YMMV though, I tend to listen to music on the louder side.

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #940 of 6,742
  I ordered the Schiit Jotunheim for my Elear cans last week (will go toe to toe with my Mojo).
So now I need to find some customized aftermarket balanced (short) cables.
Suggestions welcome.

Looking forward to see your review on jot and mojo combined with Elear. Please keep me posted.

It is not that easy to get an aftermarket balanced cable for Elear. There is a black/blue dragon cable, you would better have a look on that but it is not cheap indeed. Not going to have a cable debate for performance, but if you need a aftermarket short cable, it is an option. It can also configured to be 4-pin balanced for Jotunheim.

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #941 of 6,742

It is not that easy to get an aftermarket balanced cable for Elear. There is a black/blue dragon cable, you would better have a look on that but it is not cheap indeed. Not going to have a cable debate for performance, but if you need a aftermarket short cable, it is an option. It can also configured to be 4-pin balanced for Jotunheim.

It's not too difficult if you don't mind some adapters: http://amzn.to/2e5BTLE

These allow you to use any 2.5mm (at the earcups) cable with the Elear such as any Hifiman HE1000, Sennheiser HD700 or Oppo PM1/PM2 cable. Balanced cable or single-ended both.  

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #942 of 6,742
It sounds great out of the QP1R. Plenty of headroom. A great pairing!

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Oct 12, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #943 of 6,742

Should try QP1R pairing with ALO Cv5. Amazing with Utopia.
My new portable setup. Plenty of power and having fun with tubes rolling.
Tube sound, soundstage getting wider, and imaging is fantastic.
Enjoying more than my CDM.

Oct 12, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #944 of 6,742

It's not too difficult if you don't mind some adapters: http://amzn.to/2e5BTLE

These allow you to use any 2.5mm (at the earcups) cable with the Elear such as any Hifiman HE1000, Sennheiser HD700 or Oppo PM1/PM2 cable. Balanced cable or single-ended both.  

Thanks, but I guess there is more to it than this.
The referred 2,5 to 3,5mm adapter also need to fit the Elear 'pocket' in the can housing, so this adds complexity and uncertainty to the issue:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/dimensions-elear-diy-cable-builders#W5oZJCD2WypPAw31.97

Oct 12, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #945 of 6,742
Listening to the Elears directly out of the QP1R right now. Overall it's a good sounding pairing. However on songs with lower recording levels, I felt the QP1R was a little under-powered. In fact on those tracks, my DX80 pushed the Elears better. YMMV though, I tend to listen to music on the louder side.

Thank you for your response. I was hoping for more than good if I was going to invest £800 on my next headphone ☹️️ I don't have a home or desk top set up either to get the best out of the Elears. Guess I'll be sticking with my OPPO PM-3 which I find fantastic out of the QP1R for now until I can save up more pennies for the Elear +!home set up :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back