Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
May 6, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #1,921 of 2,126
They were originally a limited run, but Dekoni decided to make them a regular stock item. They just changed to color of the box from Purple to Teal.
can u please link which one to get from dekoni website

May 6, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #1,923 of 2,126
Ever since I have been using my B&W PX8 wireless headphones, I have not been using my Focal Clear MG's hardly at all. Its not that the PX8 are better, its just that when I need to use headphones, it is usually when I am moving around the house like cleaning the kitchen, traveling, or going for a walk. Anytime I really want to use my Clear MG's is only when I can't play music through my Focal Aria speakers because its late or someone is watching TV in the next room.

Are there times you can play music through your main speakers and you choose to use headphones instead? When do you find yourself using your Focal Clear MG's?
Whilst I have the Bathys the Clear deliver a much more detailed sound. I agree that the convenience of no wires is nice but as a newbie to headphones the listening experience is much nicer in wired.
I use mine for late night listening or when I want to fully chill and have no external interruption, which happens more these days as work is full on.

For me two different uses, wireless for travel and wired for discerning listening if that makes sense.

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #1,924 of 2,126
Ever since I have been using my B&W PX8 wireless headphones, I have not been using my Focal Clear MG's hardly at all. Its not that the PX8 are better, its just that when I need to use headphones, it is usually when I am moving around the house like cleaning the kitchen, traveling, or going for a walk. Anytime I really want to use my Clear MG's is only when I can't play music through my Focal Aria speakers because its late or someone is watching TV in the next room.

Are there times you can play music through your main speakers and you choose to use headphones instead? When do you find yourself using your Focal Clear MG's?
I think you use the headphones that best suit your lifestyle. I've never used wireless as my lifestyle doesn't need or indeed want them. Listening through speakers is more of a background session now as I only play music through an AV amp. My headphone system is separate from the AV side. Late night listening has to be on the headphones and I don't retire to bed very early so I use what ever of my headphones that suits the music best. Over the last few nights it's been the Clears because they are new and still bedding in.

May 7, 2023 at 1:49 AM Post #1,926 of 2,126
Whilst I have the Bathys the Clear deliver a much more detailed sound. I agree that the convenience of no wires is nice but as a newbie to headphones the listening experience is much nicer in wired.
I use mine for late night listening or when I want to fully chill and have no external interruption, which happens more these days as work is full on.

For me two different uses, wireless for travel and wired for discerning listening if that makes sense.
I also have the Bathys and the Clear MG. I use the Bathys to hear music, when I do other things (walk with my dog for example). I use the Focal Clear MG when I want to enjoy music intensively without doing other things. Unfortunately I have no big loudspeakers to listen to music because my wife doesn‘t like it for aesthetic reasons (we only have a Focal Dimension Soundbar). So for me the Clear MG is the solution to enjoy music.

May 7, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #1,927 of 2,126
I thought with open back headphones you should get fenestrated ear pads, I know that on the ZMF website they recommend fenestrated for open back.
I have been looking for replacement pads as well did want genuine pads but really difficult to find.

May 14, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #1,928 of 2,126
Maybe anyone is still searching for a headband cover for protection. I have ordered the following:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/166042346995

And I am fine with it. It is not perfect, but it is large enough (maybe a littlle to big) to fit with the Clear MG. For me it is important, that there will be no pressure on the leather of the headband, and that there is a protection under the zipper.

May 14, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #1,929 of 2,126
Maybe anyone is still searching for a headband cover for protection. I have ordered the following:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/166042346995

And I am fine with it. It is not perfect, but it is large enough (maybe a littlle to big) to fit with the Clear MG. For me it is important, that there will be no pressure on the leather of the headband, and that there is a protection under the zipper.
Looks good, but "item does not ship to United States" so that rules it out for me.

May 15, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #1,932 of 2,126
The highs on the MG are still very much there, and they won't give you the same expansiveness of the planars you like. While they are very dynamic, yes, I wouldn't call their stock tambre smooth like the others you mentioned. They're my go to when I'm looking for impact and energy. I reach for my ZMF Verite when I want smooth warm punchy and most important, holographic. Which is actually majority of the time.

Thank you, that's very helpful. I'll probably let the budget grow a little and see if I can get a hold of a used Verite Open. Still curious about the MG though, so hopefully I get a chance to audition them some day.

May 17, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #1,933 of 2,126
I understand.
I consider it totally unacceptable,
that is the headband is not available,
as a spare part. Now my memory returns.
I had also requested it last year,
when my Utopia was at Focal to change drivers.
By the way, I received a reply from Focal regarding the headbands as spare parts. Except for the Clear og, all models are available for order as spare parts

Jun 1, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #1,935 of 2,126
Just here to report that this earpad is fabulous with the Focal Clear MG, you can find on Aliexpress. Totally OK, more than OK.
It has less cushion than the original but it is stiffer, I don't know how long is going to last but I don't care for 1/10 of the price of 1 earpad this is easily a good choice.
Sound signature very close to original pads.

1685655091609.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back