Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Jul 1, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #1,696 of 2,150
I have lost track of how things have evolved around MG since early reviews. Is there a consensus on tonality of Clear MG compared to OG? I have MG pro and OG non-pro. Clear MG is not dark or laid back compared to OG as many reviews and measurements suggest. Except for slight midbass boost on MG both are allmost the same. So I'm wondering if there is a wild unit to unit variations or if Focal did a silent revision on the MG's. Mine is from early 2022 I think.

It's worth noting that the notch in 5-7khz is a minidsp ears anomaly. It's hard to tell what really goes in there and if there are large differences between OG and MG in that region my measurements wont show it.

It says OG's pads are worn but those are still in quite decent shape. Not flattened but have lost some of the "bounce". MG pads have very low hours on them so OG's pads are worn compared to MG. Because MinidsP EARS is bad at measuring high frequencies is better not to focus on those. What I see here is that MG has a slight midbass boost. Another difference is that OG peaks higher at 1,5khz. Other than that these headphones are pretty much identical.

1656707768144.png

When I put on Fresh MG pads on OG measurements are even more similar. Midbass difference is not that big anymore but overall change is so small that I think it can be just difference in positioning the headphones. What is relevant is that the 1,5khz peak is now gone. Remember that for later.

1656708046064.png

New and allmost new MG pads on OG. This was just to rule out pad variances. Of course those can, and will exist but pads I have here have no such issues.
1656708278578.png

Now MG with OG pads. Notice that peak at 1,5khz is there again. So it IS definately caused by the pads. Bass is same with both pads so midbass hump on MG IS NOT caused by the pads.
1656708372344.png

This is my current Clear OG vs unit I measured in 2019. Difference in bass is either unit to unit variance or different seating on the measurement rig. I suspect the latter. What is noteworthy is that 1,5khz is quite similar. So either OG pads are different from MG in a way and cause that or 2019 unit had similar pad wear as my current unit.
1656709477176.png

Conclusions:
1) MG has a midbass hump. It is not caused by earpads. I actually suspect clamp force of the new (different?) headband not the tuning or drivers itself.
2) OG has more energy at 1,5khz but that is just because of the pads, because that region measures identical to MG when OG has MG pads.
3) Other than that OG and MG are allmost the same tonally.

So anyone want to guess why my MG is tonally 95% OG even though the tuning is supposed to be quite different?

Jul 1, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #1,698 of 2,150
Crinacle's measurements show the difference plainly, but Resolve (The Headphone Show) and Jude's measurements show the OG and MG very similar.

However, Crinacle has another measurement of the original Clear with the MG pads, and compared to the Clear MG (with the stock MG pads), this is the result:

graph (2).png

So I'm also willing to bet the differences from 1.5 - 6 kHz is mostly because of the MG pads, also shown by the measurements @Roderick posted. Aside from the minor differences in the treble, they seem to be extremely similar. When I compared the OG and the MG a while back, I noticed the MG pads have different foam inside and possibly slightly different material on the outside. Pad variation could also be a factor among MG pads, which also happened with the Elex pads. My replacement pair of Clear MG Pro pads were smaller thickness by a few millimeters. Might not seem like much, but it can make a difference in measurements for sure.

Since most measurements out there show the Clear MG and the Clear OG measuring extremely similar (aside from Crinacle and maybe one or two others), my hunch is that pad variation is to blame. Whether or not Focal changed their pads on purpose or did so unintentionally, I guess we could ask them directly and hope for an honest answer.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #1,699 of 2,150
Wonder if this is indeed pads construction (material) or their worn state.
I have Beyer T1 gen1 with old pads that I just couldn't listen recently due to too bright, shrilling treble, and was quite shocked how brand new, stiffer OEM pads transformed them into almost completely different phones with all that shrillness completely disappearing.

Jul 4, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #1,701 of 2,150
Can you guys recommend a excellent portable DAC/amp for Clear MG. Budget about $600.
I've looked at EarMen Colibri, Lotoo PAW S2, ifi Go bar and Cayin RU6. I ovn a DragonFly Cobalt and ifi hip-dac2.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #1,704 of 2,150
Hi, how do you register a Focal Clear MG Pro for warranty?

I found an excellent opportunity as regards the price, from a private individual, on a box that was only opened and tested for a few hours.

He has no purchase receipt, but he told me that for the guarantee just register them on the website with the serial number of the box.

Is this how it works?

Jul 10, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #1,706 of 2,150
Hi, how do you register a Focal Clear MG Pro for warranty?

I found an excellent opportunity as regards the price, from a private individual, on a box that was only opened and tested for a few hours.

He has no purchase receipt, but he told me that for the guarantee just register them on the website with the serial number of the box.

Is this how it works?
Few hours old headphones and no receipt?

Jul 10, 2022 at 11:32 PM Post #1,708 of 2,150
Anyone else find the Clear MG a little honky? Do you find this is the same on the Clear OG? Is it a pad issue? Is there substantial unit variance?

Jul 13, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #1,709 of 2,150
Have anyone tried ifi micro iDSD Signature on Clear MG? ifi seems to be a great match with them. Guess micro iDSD Signature would be an upgrade from hip-dac2?

Jul 13, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #1,710 of 2,150
Have anyone tried ifi micro iDSD Signature on Clear MG? ifi seems to be a great match with them. Guess micro iDSD Signature would be an upgrade from hip-dac2?
I have the Signature and the original HipDac and can confidently say it's a big upgrade. Everything just feels more sharp and tight, and the slam is more immediate. I think it's a fantastic combo. I haven't tried the HipDac2 so I can't speak to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back