Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Jun 12, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #1,681 of 2,126
pad-swap.jpg
Here is my 1st monstrosity: Mounting ring and the Defean pads I had laying around.
https://www.amazon.com/M30-M40-M40X-M50-M50X/dp/B07T7W2Q15/138-0848034-4079131

First results: actually quite good! Comes closer to the stock pads then any Dekoni pad I've ever tried! Comes closer to stock then the Utopia pads do.
I'll keep em on for some time and see how I like them.
That’s cool! You still like those pads after a few days? I would love to experiment with that 3D mounting ring, do you have a link for that?

Jun 12, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #1,682 of 2,126
That’s cool! You still like those pads after a few days? I would love to experiment with that 3D mounting ring, do you have a link for that?
The pictured pads add bass, but suck out a bit of the air of the Clear. Stock pads remain king in my book.
I also tried the "cooling gel" Geekria pads (https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B08CZJN2LZ?psc=1). They surprised me even more. Add just a bit of bass but it keeps most of the air in the treble. I wasn't expecting that the least!
Regarding cheap aftermarket options I would say: mounting ring + cooling gel pads
as for the mounting ring: I ordered one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/174976681122

Jun 25, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #1,687 of 2,126
Today I received some fake utopia pads from the other side of the world.
The advertisement showed a pad with part leather / part cloth interior but the delivered pads are fully leather, so they are closer to the Dekoni fenestrated option actually.
These pads feel a bit softer compared to the Dekoni but stiffer compared to Focal.
fake-utopia-pad-1.jpg
How they sound? Well they don't destroy the sound. Need to give them a bit more time to be sure though. First impressions are positive though; both in the comfort and sound department. Price? About € 55 for a pair.

Attachments

• fake-utopia-pad-2.jpg
    fake-utopia-pad-2.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 0
Jun 28, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #1,688 of 2,126
I too have purchased the Dekoni Limited Stellia sheepskin pads. I agree with most of the post above in regards to the tonality change with these pads.
I'll start with saying that these pads should have been the pads that came with the OG Clear! Of course made by Focal themselves.

To note also, I've never heard any harshness from the Clear with the stock pads, or any pads I've rolled.

What these pads deliver is amazing. Especially for vocals. The transition throughout the midrange to the furthest treble registries is magical. The sense of realism is unbelievable. It's the most balanced I've head to date with the Clears.

Add in the sub bass extension , cleaner imaging, and prat. It's a huge win by Dekoni with these pads.

Now where I differ with the post above is the soundstage. I feel the sound has expanded in depth and height. Width seems the same. Imaging is much more holographic and life like. It's engulfing. When I switch back to the stock pads the whole stage shifts forward taking away that behind the head extension and nuance. Things I hear in the music with the Dekoni Stellia pads are not in the same place as the stock. Stuff behind the head shifts more to the side of the head taking away that 3D feel. With that said I can see some feeling the stage is more intimate with the Dekoni beings the width is more emphasized with stock but it sounds less layered and more on a 2D plane left and right.

To wrap it up. These pads for me are it! I purchased a second pair to keep in the drawer should something fail with my first pair. I can't recommend these pads enough for the OG Clear. Tonality is spot on and the increase in the realism factor, vocal presence, 3D imaging, and sub bass extension is amazing.

With anything sound. This is just another subjective opinion by another user on an audio forum. You may hear it differently.
Add in the sub bass extension , cleaner imaging, and prat. It's a huge win by Dekoni with these pads.
I just looked at these pads (new stock) The published measurements actually show a substantial sub bass reduction. For the Stellia! but it would be funny if they do the opposite on the Clear OG...

Attachments

• Focal Custom Series Pads.PNG
    Focal Custom Series Pads.PNG
    183.2 KB · Views: 0
Jun 29, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #1,690 of 2,126
Jun 29, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #1,691 of 2,126
Last edited:
Jun 29, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #1,692 of 2,126
https://www.miniklangwunder.de/kopf...elestee-und-clear-pro-interessante-eindrucke/

And my ears tell me that they definitely, definitely do not lose bass, quite contrary. Somebody commented earlier that it might be even too much.
I've read your review!
Have you gotten a chance to try the "Stellia" pads on the Clear MG?
Do you think the Clear OG profits as well as their pro version from a pad swap? Just like Guidostrunck mentioned?

"I'll start with saying that these pads should have been the pads that came with the OG Clear! Of course made by Focal themselves."

I have an issue with my Clear OG and don't know if I should get a pair of MG's...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back