Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
May 28, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #1,651 of 2,126
Best way I found to test play a track that I liked, sometime fast with a ton of dynamic range. Put it to the peak of my listening level, then go back to that track and listen again. Clipped every time
It was as loud as I could manage, sorry, no clipping. How drivers can clip on its own anyway, isn't clipping is when amplifier trying to produce voltage beyond its capability.
Do you use any EQ by any chance, that could definitely contribute to Digital clipping?
May be the source is too hot, try to lower output from the DAC.

Last edited:
May 28, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #1,652 of 2,126
I've never heard my Clear clip, it is a phenomenon that happens to a select few on this forum, it seems. Some people go out of their way to make their headphones f up too lol.
I have had 2 Clear OG, 1 Clear MG and a Utopia. They all clipped pretty easily without EQ and worse with EQ on sub bass heavy music. The Utopia performed the best by far but even that clipped. I love focal, I am not trying to dissuade anyone from buying them as they’re excellent.

Anyone claiming the headphones don’t clip either always listen at low volumes or don’t listen to specific genres of music that tend to cause clipping.

Side note, I have never heard my HD800’s clip and have never heard my THX00’s clip even with a 10db bass boost.

May 28, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #1,653 of 2,126
I have had 2 Clear OG, 1 Clear MG and a Utopia. They all clipped pretty easily without EQ and worse with EQ on sub bass heavy music. The Utopia performed the best by far but even that clipped. I love focal, I am not trying to dissuade anyone from buying them as they’re excellent.

Anyone claiming the headphones don’t clip either always listen at low volumes or don’t listen to specific genres of music that tend to cause clipping.

Side note, I have never heard my HD800’s clip and have never heard my THX00’s clip even with a 10db bass boost.
Haha. Maybe I don't even know what you're referring to. What's it sound like?

May 28, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #1,654 of 2,126

Was it always with the same FiiO K9 Pro ESS from your signature. I'd try some different setup to make sure, something is quite suspicious or you are really unlucky with all the defective Clears you got.

May 28, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #1,655 of 2,126
Was it always with the same FiiO K9 Pro ESS from your signature. I'd try some different setup to make sure, something is quite suspicious or you are really unlucky with all the defective Clears you got.
I’ve tried multiple amps, dacs and combos. Not to try to stop them from clipping as it’s a “feature” as per Focal. But by happenstance from owning different equipment over time.

May 28, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #1,656 of 2,126
Count me as a Clear owner (OG for over a year) that has never heard them clip, ever. I've tried all the example tracks listed that have caused people trouble, and none have caused clipping. I've measured with an SPL meter up to around 90dB, and had no clipping (but at that volume level I could only listen for a very short period). I do not EQ.

I've seen/heard youtube videos demonstrating the clipping, so I know what it sounds like, but I've never experienced it on my pair. I highly recommend them.

May 28, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #1,657 of 2,126
Count me as a Clear owner (OG for over a year) that has never heard them clip, ever. I've tried all the example tracks listed that have caused people trouble, and none have caused clipping. I've measured with an SPL meter up to around 90dB, and had no clipping (but at that volume level I could only listen for a very short period). I do not EQ.

I've seen/heard youtube videos demonstrating the clipping, so I know what it sounds like, but I've never experienced it on my pair. I highly recommend them.
Same.

May 28, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #1,660 of 2,126
For the record, to measure SPL, I use a CD against the pad for a seal, and then put the radio shack meter over the center hole of the CD. That puts the mic even with the pad surface, which is approximately the same distance from the driver as the ear, give or take.

Last edited:
May 28, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #1,661 of 2,126
Just tried this track on Amazon HD with my Clear OG and had zero clipping. Listening to the whole album now, and sounds great. Thanks for the suggestion, BTW - I'm adding it to my library!
Great album indeed, bookmarked artist on Qobuz. No clipping on this one either.

May 28, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #1,662 of 2,126
For the record, to measure SPL, I use a CD against the pad for a seal, and then put the radio shack meter over the center hole of the CD. Puts the mic even with the pad surface, which is approximately the same distance from the driver as the ear, give or take.
For the record, I listen to music and not measurements.

May 29, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #1,663 of 2,126
I agree with the opinion, regarding the Dekoni ltd Stellia pads: these are also an upgrade on the MG! The bass becomes more powerful, the treble lowered. Across the spectrum, precision and "goodness" are increased. Any "harshness" disappears! Everything sounds precise, but "analog".
An absolute must for MG owners.

I used to have these pads on the Elegia.
There they have similar effect.

May 29, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #1,664 of 2,126
Just tried this track on Amazon HD with my Clear OG and had zero clipping. Listening to the whole album now, and sounds great. Thanks for the suggestion, BTW - I'm adding it to my library!
I'm glad to hear that.
Therefore I allow myself one more tip:

Move D - Building Bridges
Download.jpeg-1.jpg

(one of my absolute favorite albums).

May 29, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #1,665 of 2,126
I agree with the opinion, regarding the Dekoni ltd Stellia pads: these are also an upgrade on the MG! The bass becomes more powerful, the treble lowered. Across the spectrum, precision and "goodness" are increased. Any "harshness" disappears! Everything sounds precise, but "analog".
An absolute must for MG owners.

I used to have these pads on the Elegia.
There they have similar effect.
Interesting as I don't hear the Clear MG harsh at all and wouldn't want treble lowered. To each his / her own. Glad you found a setup that works just right for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back