Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Aug 4, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #526 of 2,142
I use SMSL SU9 + Singxer SA1

But only the SMSL has a remote, and I personally am of opinion it is better to alter the volume on the amp rather the DAC. But you could probably use the SU9 volume without any problem.

Why a remote btw? Always wondered why people use remotes with their headphone amps.
Thank you. I wish to connect the DAC/AMP to my TV. so remote control is essential for volume.

Aug 5, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #528 of 2,142
So you are going to use the headphone with a cable through the room?

Why not set the AMP on a coffee table next to your couch or something? No wire mess (if you cable manage the optical / xlr cable well) and volume control close by.
Good point. I considered getting a long optical cable from TV to DAC, but read somewhere this reduces quality. I don’t know to be honest. Not very knowledgeable in this area.

Aug 6, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #530 of 2,142
Optical cable is the one that is going to give you the least loss in quality out of all of them (since it is not an electrical, but a light signal, it does not get interference by radio/magnetic signals). Hard to explain in English for me but there is a reason fiber optic is the standard in long distance internet.
Many thanks. That is what I will try. Means i can get the DAC i want which doesn’t have to be with a remote control. Possibly the iFi Diablo or Signature.

Aug 6, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #531 of 2,142
It is somewhat dependent on the "strength" of your sending audio device (TV). But unless you are going to go over 10 meters I don't think you will have much problems. AFAIK the issues people had over longer distance was more with older devices. Just don't buy the absolutely cheapest cable you can find (but don't go full snake oil either, you really don't need to spend 100 or more)

Maybe google your TV brand/model and see if you can figure out if other people have had problems with the optical cable length. Also, remember optical cables can break, if you need to make corners, make them gentle. Hope it helps :)

edit: seems like the diablo has both and optical and coaxial spdif input, so you should be fine either way.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #532 of 2,142
I replaced my Clear MG with a new one (from the latest shipment) because the original pair had a channel balance issue. The new pair sounds noticeably brighter so I measured it as well, and it sure is! New one is the lighter line:

clear_newest.png

I'm curious which one is closer to the "correct" one, and how much variation there is in their production. The first one was leaning on dark, where this one is defiantly bright.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #533 of 2,142
To drive the Focal Clear MG - Can anyone recommend a dac/amp with 4pin xlr input and has a remote control.
Under £1000.

discovered this one based on reviews - topping dx7 pro

I can vouch for Singxer SA-1, sound really great together, as Singxer has spacious soundstage, clean and close to neutral presentation, with still enough rumble for sub bass effect.

I haven't tried D90SE, but D70S actually sound nice for the price.

Aug 8, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #536 of 2,142
Aug 8, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #537 of 2,142
I have had my Focal Clear MG Professional since mid April, here are some thoughts:

https://www.classicalguitartones.com/home/focal-clear-mg-professional-review

Great review, I agree with everything you said!
I have another suggestion for an after market cable. Sky Audio Cables on eBay makes some really nice soft paracord cables, when I still had the Elex I got one like the below picture:

10475381.jpg

I also want to say that the image clarity is just amazing on these headphones. I heard this with the Elex and OG Clear too, but I think the MG takes it to another level. With well recorded songs, it sounds like you have real live instruments directly in front of you. It really doesn't sound like a driver reproducing the sound anymore, it sounds like the real thing. This is especially noticeable with stuff like bells, chimes, piano, and cymbals. And the improved frequency response of the MG only adds to this realism. I do agree with some that the MG is warmer than I'm used to, and with bright recordings it is perfect. But for some warm recordings, I like to use EQ to bump up the lower treble and upper mids. It gives you more of that Sennheiser intimate vocals feel to it.

Aug 8, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #538 of 2,142
Very well written.

Thank you!

Awesome review! To answer your question regarding an aftermarket cable. I'm currently using a Norne Solvine cable, and it's perfect. Quality built for sure. I also prefer the comfort of the Dekoni Stellia Limited Pads. 20210808_133822.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions! Did you notice any change in tone with the Dekoni pads?

Great review, I agree with everything you said!
I have another suggestion for an after market cable. Sky Audio Cables on eBay makes some really nice soft paracord cables, when I still had the Elex I got one like the below picture:

10475381.jpg

I also want to say that the image clarity is just amazing on these headphones. I heard this with the Elex and OG Clear too, but I think the MG takes it to another level. With well recorded songs, it sounds like you have real live instruments directly in front of you. It really doesn't sound like a driver reproducing the sound anymore, it sounds like the real thing. This is especially noticeable with stuff like bells, chimes, piano, and cymbals. And the improved frequency response of the MG only adds to this realism. I do agree with some that the MG is warmer than I'm used to, and with bright recordings it is perfect. But for some warm recordings, I like to use EQ to bump up the lower treble and upper mids. It gives you more of that Sennheiser intimate vocals feel to it.

I totally agree, on well captured recordings the sound is as real as it gets! Thanks for the cable suggestion.

Aug 8, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #539 of 2,142
Thank you!

Thanks for the suggestions! Did you notice any change in tone with the Dekoni pads?

I totally agree, on well captured recordings the sound is as real as it gets! Thanks for the cable suggestion.
I have not noticed any difference in sound. I extensively went back and forth with a playlist of familiar songs. If there is any differences I cannot hear it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back