Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Apr 21, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #301 of 2,149
Just got my focal clear mg's.
0nbe8c.png

Initial listening is weird. The right side is louder than the left side. I thought it could have been my ears, so I switched to the stellia and the sound was in fact centered better than the clear mg's. Granted the Clear mg's are brand new, do you guys think it needs burn in to even out?

update, I took the right pad and switched it to the left side and vice versa, now the left side is louder than the right. The pads are not symmetrical lol. The right pad is thinner than the left pad. I've never seen this before, but at least I know it's not the headphones per se. That threw me off lol.

bwfkqr.jpg

The one on the bottom was on the left side, causing the left side to be quieter than the right and vice versa... You would think they check for these things...
Ouch! This sure is very off-putting for a 1.5K headphone that's otherwise obviously very well-made! Got the Mg line on my radar to match with my Phonitor X but this issue does strike a negative overtone...

I wonder whether it's a Clear Mg only kinda thing or whether it also extends to the MgPro.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #302 of 2,149
Just got my focal clear mg's.
0nbe8c.png

Initial listening is weird. The right side is louder than the left side. I thought it could have been my ears, so I switched to the stellia and the sound was in fact centered better than the clear mg's. Granted the Clear mg's are brand new, do you guys think it needs burn in to even out?

update, I took the right pad and switched it to the left side and vice versa, now the left side is louder than the right. The pads are not symmetrical lol. The right pad is thinner than the left pad. I've never seen this before, but at least I know it's not the headphones per se. That threw me off lol.

bwfkqr.jpg

The one on the bottom was on the left side, causing the left side to be quieter than the right and vice versa... You would think they check for these things...
this happened on my Anker Q30 which is a $80 bluetooth ANC headset and they sent me a new pair free ASAP sincerely hoping they do the same for you

Apr 21, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #303 of 2,149
this happened on my Anker Q30 which is a $80 bluetooth ANC headset and they sent me a new pair free ASAP sincerely hoping they do the same for you
Focal told me to contact them again at the end of May... They said they "wanted" to back order replacement pads for me but "accounting" said not to do it. That's past the 30 day warranty focal provides, so things could get dicey... supposedly there is a stock hold up in France. So for sure, I'll have to wait longer than 30 days just to talk to someone about it, let alone having it shipped from who knows where. There is nothing immediate about this whole process unfortunately. But the representative I was speaking with seemed sincere enough.

Apr 21, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #304 of 2,149
Focal told me to contact them again at the end of May... They said they "wanted" to back order replacement pads for me but "accounting" said not to do it. That's past the 30 day warranty focal provides, so things could get dicey... supposedly there is a stock hold up in France. So for sure, I'll have to wait longer than 30 days just to talk to someone about it, let alone having it shipped from who knows where. There is nothing immediate about this whole process unfortunately. But the representative I was speaking with seemed sincere enough.
Depending on your retailer, you could try to get them to replace the whole headphone instead (could potentially be faster than waiting for pads from Focal). The site I purchased from offered to replace mine (the entire headphone), but I decided to wait for Focal's back order pads instead.

In the meantime, I've ordered the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskins, which should arrive later this week. Will update with sound impressions once I've got a good sense of those.

Apr 21, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #305 of 2,149
Depending on your retailer, you could try to get them to replace the whole headphone instead (could potentially be faster than waiting for pads from Focal). The site I purchased from offered to replace mine (the entire headphone), but I decided to wait for Focal's back order pads instead.

In the meantime, I've ordered the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskins, which should arrive later this week. Will update with sound impressions once I've got a good sense of those.
I pretty much am doing the same exact thing. I posted earlier that I bought the dekoni fenestrated pads and the clear og pads. I want to keep this one because the build on this headphone feels nice. The pins holding the yoke and the ear cups do not move and feel solid. Unfortunately my Stellia's pins move a little. Crutchfield is expecting a new shipment to arrive soon but I wouldn't want to risk getting a lower quality feeling pair of headphones.

Apr 21, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #306 of 2,149

I pretty much am doing the same exact thing. I posted earlier that I bought the dekoni fenestrated pads and the clear og pads. I want to keep this one because the build on this headphone feels nice. The pins holding the yoke and the ear cups do not move and feel solid. Unfortunately my Stellia's pins move a little. Crutchfield is expecting a new shipment to arrive soon but I wouldn't want to risk getting a lower quality feeling pair of headphones.

I installed Fenestrated pads ASAP on my MG's. I had the issues of my ears touching the drivers.
Prefer the comfort of the Dekoni's over the stock pads, can't really tell a difference in sound either.

Apr 23, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #309 of 2,149
So I can't find the main discussion thread for the OG Focal Clears but I have a question reguarding soundstage width. I'm more used to the presentation of the HD 650 and ZMF Verite where the soundstage width is deep but not as wide making the sound closer to your ears. I just recieved my Focal Clears yesterday but I find that the soundstage width is a bit more spread out, giving me the impressions that the frequencies are more distant and less detailed. I can crank my volume up but then the shouty upper mids will pierce my ears. This might just be my pairing with my Jotunheim 2 amp but this is something I'm not so used to in terms of listening. This could change if I swap out pads for the Focal Clears, maybe using a sheepskin pad instead of a suede pad? Myabe if they have thinner pads to make the sound closer to your ears....

Can anyone tell me if the soundstage width is the same on the Focal Clear MG compared to the OG Clear?

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #310 of 2,149
You can use the sheepskin or the Limited Stellia pads and you will get rid of the upper mids peak and come closer to a HD650 tonality (even more than with the Clear MG).
Check out this website: Miniklangwunder
Unfortunately in German but the graphs are self explanatory. You have to scroll down a little bit, first part is about Elegia and Celestee.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #311 of 2,149
You can use the sheepskin or the Limited Stellia pads and you will get rid of the upper mids peak and come closer to a HD650 tonality (even more than with the Clear MG).
Check out this website: Miniklangwunder
Unfortunately in German but the graphs are self explanatory. You have to scroll down a little bit, first part is about Elgie and Celestee.
Great, based on his graph measurements, the Dekoni Limited Sheepskin Stellia Pads for my Focal Clear is what I'm looking for!

Apr 25, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #312 of 2,149
Apr 26, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #313 of 2,149
I posted my full review and measurements of the Clear Mg (Pro) here: https://www.audiodiscourse.com/2021/04/focal-clear-mg-pro-review.html

Thanks to headphones.com for letting me borrow it for review and demoing :)

Graph Tool: https://headphones.audiodiscourse.com/?share=Antdroid Target,Clear Mg Pro

I’ve read that the clear mg pro and clear mg have different tuning/ sound stage. There was a review saying that the clear mg pro definitely had a smaller soundstage, in comparison to the clear mg.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #315 of 2,149

Users who are viewing this thread

Back