Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Mar 24, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #181 of 2,149
Funny thing I purchased a pair of brand new original Clear pads (took a picture here) earlier this year. I'll have to compare them with my old ones. Idk how I always forget to do it. Too busy enjoying the music, I guess. :wink:
I briefly did that with my 2nd pair of pads from my pro version. I could not hear any glaring differences.
Most certainly not as obvious as worn vs. new pads on my DT-880.

YMMV of course.

Mar 24, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #182 of 2,149
If all the mechanical attributes are the same, drivers, placement etc then "maybe" the pads if they were very different in material, size etc, then maybe some variance. But IMO they are pretty much the same....

The reason I bought the PRO's was for the second set of earpads and color scheme and not wanting more cables I will never use..
I bought the pro mg because I already have the clear pro and my wife will never know I have a new headphone

For the people who have both the clear and new MG. Are they worth the upgrade? What I mean by that is are they $500ish better?
It's an upgrade if you like more mid bass and less layering and sense of space than the original clear

Mar 24, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #183 of 2,149
Much more precisely and faster in the lows as the first Clear

061CD83B-1EED-489B-A032-E95FCDD45D0B.jpeg

also great couple 👍

65EADC87-5126-448F-93C4-9DDA05B48775.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.but most surpricing for me the Elegia+Celestee pads👍👍 i prefer it over the Stellia

23149D0E-4AB9-4958-8324-465C2994F81D.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #184 of 2,149
I like this album a lot but never get very pleased to listen to it with the crap consumer market equipment I've owned until now. The mixing or mastering sounded bad/fatiguing. Really curious to ear it with the Clear MG.

Can you guys tell me the differences/benefits of hardware vs software equalizer in terms of rendering and/or technically? Or maybe point me to a related topic?

They are currently taking a long time to respond. Here is an introduction to the answer I received recently after more than a month of waiting:
"First of all, we are sorry for this unusual response time, we are currently facing a large number of inquiries, so thank you for your interest in Focal."
Software eq'ing works....good and bad. You can use a supplied profile and apply it via software. This corrects the basic response or tuning of the headphone to more of a flat neutral response curve, But songs are recorded with varying amounts of eq'ing and often this can differ from song to song etc. This might lead you to adjusting the software eq with sliders etc in the program...a real pain to do from tune to tune. A hardware eq box u can grab a knob, twist and have instant results...still a pain, but faster than software IMO.

There is no good answer here. This is why I look for well recorded material over lesser material.

For the people who have both the clear and new MG. Are they worth the upgrade? What I mean by that is are they $500ish better?
The difference in price can only be determined by your ears and pocketbook.
How serious are you into this crazy hobby??

Only you can decide...you would be happy with either headphone to some extent.

Mar 24, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #185 of 2,149
I have both sets. The MG's are still breaking in, but to me, the treble refinement is really worth it. There's more air, and the soundstage strikes me as both deeper and wider laterally. Bass is terrific - it seems faster to me, and more dynamic. At moderate volumes, you still get a really good 'punch' that never sounds artificial. Included cables are better, but jeepers, why can't Focal make cables of the same caliber of their headphones? So far I've very happy with them, and I can't think of anything to fault them on. There's a smoothness in the upper mids and highs that takes away the little bit of glare that sometimes showed in the original clear. There's a little more energy in the 'air' region, but I haven't found it harsh or irritating at all. I'll review further after they've really had some time to break in. So far I've tried them with a Chord Mojo and a Bifrost 2/Jot 2 combo in balanced mode and they're great with both setups.

Mar 24, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #186 of 2,149
...songs are recorded with varying amounts of eq'ing and often this can differ from song to song etc. This might lead you to adjusting the software eq with sliders etc in the program...a real pain to do from tune to tune. A hardware eq box u can grab a knob, twist and have instant results...still a pain, but faster than software IMO.
There is no good answer here.
OK, thanks for the explanations. No mystery here then, it's just a matter of convenience.

Mar 24, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #187 of 2,149
Software eq'ing works....good and bad. You can use a supplied profile and apply it via software. This corrects the basic response or tuning of the headphone to more of a flat neutral response curve, But songs are recorded with varying amounts of eq'ing and often this can differ from song to song etc. This might lead you to adjusting the software eq with sliders etc in the program...a real pain to do from tune to tune. A hardware eq box u can grab a knob, twist and have instant results...still a pain, but faster than software IMO.
I have to disagree, at least as far as Sonarworks Ref 4 (or whatever they call it now). The supplied profile will be good for the great majority of your listening, but making adjustments is definitely as quick as turning a knob. Assuming you have the interface at hand while your listening, the same as having your physical Eq device at hand, you just leave your pointer on the adjustments window (with a very small amount of lateral movement required between the two adjustments) and roll your scroll wheel up or down. You don't even have to click on it first. Easy peasy. The only obstacle right now is that they don't yet have a profile for the new Mg's (I've requested one). The one for the OG Clear's sounds pretty good in the meantime, though.

Mar 24, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #188 of 2,149
That's why PEQ profiles based on measurements and target curves come really handy, and yield great results when used correctly. Problem is it's not so accessible because it requires a PC or some other device that has PEQ capable software. Also, folks don't like to do something that requires learning something new and would rather just keep matching components.

But as an example, imagine you don't like the 4kHz deep and 6kHz peak of the og / Mg Clear (from measurements). Easy fix, just two filters like these:

Filter 1: Peak 4700 Hz Gain 6 dB Q 2
Filter 2: Peak 6000 Hz Gain -6 dB Q 4

and you get very precise smoothing of that precise deep and peak shown in the measurements.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #190 of 2,149
@Shooter41 Yes you are right, Foobar does this as well (hover the settings with the pointer and scroll) and it's certainly more precise/complete, but what @adydula pointed out is also true. It's just a matter of convenience (since it's surely quicker in addition to preventing doing mistakes like a bad mouse movement). It's also don't adds some more tricks or magical things in term of quality or other stuffs. So he perfectly answered what I wanted to know.
But thank you as well as @roskodan for clarifying further on that stuff.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #191 of 2,149
The odd thing here is you have a world re-known company like Focal that makes one of the best dynamic headphones in the world and then you spend more bucks for software to "fix" them according to other experts that are making money off this...always amazes me.

Listening to the Clears as is, no matter what version you get to hear what the designer produced and wants you to hear....

I haven't heard from any headphone company state " Here pay me $1500 for my excellent headphone, but they are not perfect you have to buy someone elses EQ software of plug in to really make them perfect!!" Nope the only folks that have a plug in of sorts is Audeze.

Part of taking advantage of the market place and its a great way to make a living...so many add on choices to get you to audio nirvana. LOL.

That said if you like software eq, thats great...the Clears are just fine as is here for me...YMMV

Alex

Mar 24, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #192 of 2,149
The odd thing here is you have a world re-known company like Focal that makes one of the best dynamic headphones in the world and then you spend more bucks for software to "fix" them according to other experts that are making money off this...always amazes me.

Listening to the Clears as is, no matter what version you get to hear what the designer produced and wants you to hear....

I haven't heard from any headphone company state " Here pay me $1500 for my excellent headphone, but they are not perfect you have to buy someone elses EQ software of plug in to really make them perfect!!" Nope the only folks that have a plug in of sorts is Audeze.

Part of taking advantage of the market place and its a great way to make a living...so many add on choices to get you to audio nirvana. LOL.

That said if you like software eq, thats great...the Clears are just fine as is here for me...YMMV

Alex
They do sound just fine without any help but I view apps like Sonarworks the same way I view room correction software in the 2-channel/multichannel realm. It sounds so much better with it that I don't know why you would ever deny yourself such an easy and obvious (to me, anyway) improvement. But I'm certainly not offended if someone says they don't like it.

Mar 24, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #194 of 2,149
Much more precisely and faster in the lows as the first Clear

061CD83B-1EED-489B-A032-E95FCDD45D0B.jpeg

also great couple 👍

65EADC87-5126-448F-93C4-9DDA05B48775.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.but most surpricing for me the Elegia+Celestee pads👍👍 i prefer it over the Stellia

23149D0E-4AB9-4958-8324-465C2994F81D.jpeg
Interesting! I wonder if the Celestee pads are similar to what the Dekoni Sheepskin pads are doing for the Elegia. I love mine vs the original pads.

Mar 25, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #195 of 2,149

Alex
Totally understand and agree with your point. The only funny thing to me is that Focal has the Arche with different presets for their different headphones. Maybe that’s more about impedance matching, but I think it also applies sound profiles IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back