Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Oct 18, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #708 of 2,126
Picked up a pair of Focal Clear MG on Saturday after auditioning them and comparing them to the Utopia, Audeze LCD-4, and the Meze Empyrean. They are a Spectacular pair of headphones indeed.

They are very capable indeed. They have their own character and it's quite immersive.

Oct 18, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #709 of 2,126
I'm becoming quite tempted by a pad swap just to mess around. It seems like there's good consensus on the sheepskin fenestrated, now also the stellia pads? Would be interesting to hear any more detail as pads definitely look like a bit of a weird spot with the MGs by default.

Oct 18, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #710 of 2,126
I'm becoming quite tempted by a pad swap just to mess around. It seems like there's good consensus on the sheepskin fenestrated, now also the stellia pads? Would be interesting to hear any more detail as pads definitely look like a bit of a weird spot with the MGs by default.

I'll try to do a bit of a comparison when I get the chance. Didn't really listen that much with stock pads. All I know is that dekoni Stellia pads feel great and the HP sounds good with them.

Oct 18, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #711 of 2,126
After half a year of listening to music the Clear Mg, specifically looking for tracks that sound especially impressive on it in particular, I've landed on my winner.

The album Inner G by Zebbler Encanti Experience is the most amazing sounding technical marvel I've heard so far on these. The production on this album is seriously nuts.

Especially so, the last track of the album - Puzzle of Egos. The crescendo of the track, at 2:45, is a shining example of the Mg's technical capability.

Tidal Link:
https://tidal.com/browse/track/54284910

Spotify Link:

YouTube (Not recommended, compression really hits this track):

That final crescendo is the most technically demanding musical segment I've heard. Every other headphone and sound system I've listened to it on falls apart trying to hold the fast pulsing bass together while retaining the clarity and consistency of the highs. It sounds muffled or inconsistent on everything but the Mg's.

I recommend the whole album as each track is distinctly different yet impressive.

Oct 18, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #712 of 2,126
I've been using the Dekoni Stellia limited pads for months. First with my OG and now with my MG. They are a fantastic pad. Extremely comfortable and me personally love what they do for the sound. It's almost as if there's a refinement to the sound.
I never thought of the Clear mg/og to sound hashy. What I mean is the lower treble and upper mids kinda add a longer decay with the stock pads. Not that is sounds bad but that presence seems to dominate and collapse some space and overall imaging.
Once I move to the Stellias, everything is much more coherent and cuts through even more
precisely.
Definitely a boost in depth perception and pin point accuracy. Sounds a lot more holographic and dimensional.

The Stellias definitely add a dampening factor and imo it's a huge bonus on top an already amazing can(s)

Oct 18, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #713 of 2,126
I ended up getting the Meze 99 OFC cables for my Clear MGs. Really impressed with the sound, though I've got lots of other things going on also affecting the sound, but it sounds great. Only problem, and I wonder if others have this, the cables keep getting loose and the sound goes out if you move around too much. Especially just sitting up. I spent forever laying down and it was fine, only when I got up and moved around suddenly it happened often enough that I can tell it's a serious design flaw. They barely even plug into the headphones, kind of feel like they're just barely plugged in and dangling?

Anyone else have this issue? It's so odd to me how they don't seem to snap in at all, like what is with that design choice. Great otherwise, but if I'm gonna be going through this every time I use them I'll likely be inclined to find some other cables specifically made for the MGs that actually snap right in there.
Have you double checked that the cable is totally plugged into your headphones? I have this cable and find I have to push much harder than I expected, I had a similar problem to you until I did.

Oct 18, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #714 of 2,126
I've been using the Dekoni Stellia limited pads for months. First with my OG and now with my MG. They are a fantastic pad. Extremely comfortable and me personally love what they do for the sound. It's almost as if there's a refinement to the sound.
I never thought of the Clear mg/og to sound hashy. What I mean is the lower treble and upper mids kinda add a longer decay with the stock pads. Not that is sounds bad but that presence seems to dominate and collapse some space and overall imaging.
Once I move to the Stellias, everything is much more coherent and cuts through even more
precisely.
Definitely a boost in depth perception and pin point accuracy. Sounds a lot more holographic and dimensional.

The Stellias definitely add a dampening factor and imo it's a huge bonus on top an already amazing can(s)

What's the potential difference in build up of reflections vs using fenestrated pads? Also, is pad warmup a thing for them too?

Oct 20, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #715 of 2,126
Okay SO. It's been a busy week trying to figure out what the heck happened. I wanted to post here because many of you tried to help and it's useful for everyone to know what I learned. My journey with the Clear MGs seems mostly concluded with some remaining questions along with a bittersweet ending which was me returning them to the vendor.

However I returned them not because of the original problem I posted here about. The source of that problem was that the headphones sounded absolutely grating because they were not burned-in enough. I'm fairly certain that every review I've seen so far that complained the headphones seriously attack the ears is likely because they were brand new when reviewed and/or burn in was not done properly. Actually the thing that tipped me off to idea of incomplete burn-in was the first several pages of this very thread and particularly Nomax's video of the driver visibly moving with the volume. I realized that my driver at the time did not stretch out nearly that much under bass.

In the Focal manual that comes with the Clear MGs, it clearly states to burn these in for 48 hours before use. I did this, however I realized that I did not do this loud enough. I totally underestimated the amount of volume and bass that these drivers need to break in which is to say, louder than I would ever listen to music and scary with the reputation of the fragility of the previous Clears' drivers.

After I burned them in properly this time, it totally transformed the sound. Then I encountered a new problem- it was no longer the headphone I thought I was buying and has a particular vocal warmness and centeredness? that just doesn't work with my ears. It wasn't grating anymore but hilariously, it lost detail that it had before the break in. Particularly, the newfound punchy and slammy bass was masking that detail just a bit too much for me. Also it had a vocals/mids-straight-down-the-ear-canal that is uncomfortable for me as warm as they may be. This may be because I already fried my ears testing and troubleshooting this while it was grating in various ways over the past week but regardless I gave up. I also still can't rule out that some of the things that still felt off to me afterwards were because of my particular unit. I concluded after hundreds of miles of driving to different audio places and way too many different amps and dacs that I need to look elsewhere despite the fact this headphone is amazing in other respects. Alas, I'm washing my hands of it.

When someone else in the future comes in here and complains about how unpleasant and fatiguing this headphone is- definitely tell them to burn it all the way in.

Anyway, I'm glad this headphone works for other people and I respect the sound it makes. It's beautiful in its own way but unfortunately I have to continue my search.
Maybe I'll look at the Aryas again.
Or straight to Utopia?

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #717 of 2,126
Okay SO. It's been a busy week trying to figure out what the heck happened. I wanted to post here because many of you tried to help and it's useful for everyone to know what I learned. My journey with the Clear MGs seems mostly concluded with some remaining questions along with a bittersweet ending which was me returning them to the vendor.

However I returned them not because of the original problem I posted here about. The source of that problem was that the headphones sounded absolutely grating because they were not burned-in enough. I'm fairly certain that every review I've seen so far that complained the headphones seriously attack the ears is likely because they were brand new when reviewed and/or burn in was not done properly. Actually the thing that tipped me off to idea of incomplete burn-in was the first several pages of this very thread and particularly Nomax's video of the driver visibly moving with the volume. I realized that my driver at the time did not stretch out nearly that much under bass.

In the Focal manual that comes with the Clear MGs, it clearly states to burn these in for 48 hours before use. I did this, however I realized that I did not do this loud enough. I totally underestimated the amount of volume and bass that these drivers need to break in which is to say, louder than I would ever listen to music and scary with the reputation of the fragility of the previous Clears' drivers.

After I burned them in properly this time, it totally transformed the sound. Then I encountered a new problem- it was no longer the headphone I thought I was buying and has a particular vocal warmness and centeredness? that just doesn't work with my ears. It wasn't grating anymore but hilariously, it lost detail that it had before the break in. Particularly, the newfound punchy and slammy bass was masking that detail just a bit too much for me. Also it had a vocals/mids-straight-down-the-ear-canal that is uncomfortable for me as warm as they may be. This may be because I already fried my ears testing and troubleshooting this while it was grating in various ways over the past week but regardless I gave up. I also still can't rule out that some of the things that still felt off to me afterwards were because of my particular unit. Alas, I'm washing my hands of it.

When someone else in the future comes in here and complains about how unpleasant and fatiguing this headphone is- definitely tell them to burn it all the way in.

Anyway, I'm glad this headphone works for other people and I respect the sound it makes. It's beautiful in its own way but unfortunately I have to continue my search.
Maybe I'll look at the Aryas again.
Or straight to Utopia?
Thanks for sharing your journey, I feel like these need more burn in than most due to how much driver excursion they have.

Within Focal it sounds like you're looking for that Utopia sound, which I've heard has less bass/ slam but more detail.

I recently got the Arya v3s (stealth magnet) and loved how they sounded. On v3 they increased the low end and slam a little and toned down the highs harshness, while tightening the soundstage. I would say for laid back listening I prefer them for most music over the Mg because of how inviting and comfortable they are. BUT...

After going through two pairs of them I had to return them once and for all, after both had channel imbalance issues - and support didn't want to help me find a "proper" pair. Such a shame...

So I said screw it and just ordered the ZMF Verite Limited Blackwood to fill my desire for an easy listening can with fantastic soundstage.

I love my Mg's but boy do they demand your attention.

Can't wait to hear the Verite.

Also, I love that you listened to that album! That made my day.

Oct 20, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #718 of 2,126
Thanks for sharing your journey, I feel like these need more burn in than most due to how much driver excursion they have.

Within Focal it sounds like you're looking for that Utopia sound, which I've heard has less bass/ slam but more detail.

I recently got the Arya v3s (stealth magnet) and loved how they sounded. On v3 they increased the low end and slam a little and toned down the highs harshness, while tightening the soundstage. I would say for laid back listening I prefer them for most music over the Mg because of how inviting and comfortable they are. BUT...

After going through two pairs of them I had to return them once and for all, after both had channel imbalance issues - and support didn't want to help me find a "proper" pair. Such a shame...

So I said screw it and just ordered the ZMF Verite Limited Blackwood to fill my desire for an easy listening can with fantastic soundstage.

I love my Mg's but boy do they demand your attention.

Can't wait to hear the Verite.

Also, I love that you listened to that album! That made my day.
I've actually heard a suggestion the lower soundstaging may be related to channel imbalance and QC over some of the units rather than any extremes of compression or change. I'd like to hear them as I think V3s could be a nice complement to the MGs.

Similarly though, I think Auteurs might be too, with their thickness and weight, for a punchier experience. I'm surprised that people think the MGs are that demanding - I find they don't have quite enough bass volume or strong enough slam (it creates it authentically, but it's not really a thunderous, rockout experience). I also find some of that upper midrange dip can chill them out a fair bit - they never quite scream in my ears like Aryas ever did. But they also don't have the punch of my Eikons, at least in the sense of scale of bass - they go deeper, and can slam damn hard (the intro to m.A.A.d city comes to mind) but don't produce nearly as much comparatively. Yet somehow, they also feel more 'boosted' in the bass than the Eikons, despite being so articulate. I think driver differences play a part there.

Verite is super nice, though a bit out of the range the MGs are playing at. That's a real headphone to settle at.

Oct 20, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #719 of 2,126

Yeah while I was out plugging these Clears into $16k amps to see if anything was going to improve for me, I got a chance to listen to some Utopias [that, importantly, were already burned in] and they sounded exciting from the short amount of time I got to spend with them.

And did you go through Hifiman proper or a distributor?

Oct 20, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #720 of 2,126
Yeah while I was out plugging these Clears into $16k amps to see if anything was going to improve for me, I got a chance to listen to some Utopias [that, importantly, were already burned in] and they sounded exciting from the short amount of time I got to spend with them.

And did you go through Hifiman proper or a distributor?
I would love to try the Utopia someday, very cool!

Yep I got them through the HiFiMan official Amazon store a week after the stealth magnets came out. Even then support wouldn't help me.

Maybe someday in the distant future when I've forgiven them I'll try another pair. The sub bass was amazing and the upper mids were so sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back