Focal Clear headphones
Jul 13, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #11,882 of 12,581
Thank you all for the replies.

Yeah, I've purchased a knitted headband cover, looks super comfy, and it uses buttons too (good point about the zipper being an imprint down the line).

I'm also an idiot for my posts earlier because after my 1/4 inch to 3.5mm adapter arrived from Amazon today, I realised/remembered the god damn Sennheiser HD660S I've been using for years already has a very high quality one that came with it and is literally connected to my system 😭

EDIT:

Going through the thread gallery, I noticed this, how much of a sound impact would this have? I like that it can act as extra protection and prevent any dandruff or hairs from going into the drivers.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-clear-headphones.861727/post-13975153

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #11,883 of 12,581
I would like to ask some things.

How suitable is the Focal Elex, Elear, Clear for metal? I heard anecdotes that they have nice bass in addition to nice mids.

Also, what do I lose if I don't buy the Clear, but instead opt for the Elear or the Elex? I don't know anything about the Elex, other than it has slammy bass, but the Elear would not seem to be much different from the Edition XS (by reading the graph and opinions) because even if the bass is nice, the mids are flattened, subdued and it has sibilant treble. What do you say?

Jul 13, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #11,884 of 12,581

How suitable is the Focal Elex, Elear, Clear for metal? I heard anecdotes that they have nice bass in addition to nice mids.

Also, what do I lose if I don't buy the Clear, but instead opt for the Elear or the Elex? I don't know anything about the Elex, other than it has slammy bass, but the Elear would not seem to be much different from the Edition XS (by reading the graph and opinions) because even if the bass is nice, the mids are flattened, subdued and it has sibilant treble. What do you say?
Clear has great macrodynamics, punch, and a fast driver that can keep up with busy passages. There is also a wonderful reproduction of percussions such as drum hits and cymbals (although there is some bass roll-off). It works great with metal. I would EQ the small peak in the mids at 1-1.5k though, as it messes with the timbre of electric guitars.
I don't have experience with Elex or Elear.

Jul 15, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #11,885 of 12,581

I would just get a Grado Hemp for Rock/Metal. If you must bux Focal, avoid the Elex/Elear, they have high driver failure rates. I had one die on me as well. If you have the amp/DAC to back it up, the Clear easily scales higher. Combine it with a RNHP and a warm DAC like Bifrost 2 OG and I bet you wouldn't be disappointed. Since you're from Vienna, you are able to audition the Hemp and other Grados either at the Kopfhörerboutique or Longtone (Longtone has the bigger Grado selection but no other brands).

Jul 16, 2023 at 4:57 AM Post #11,886 of 12,581
Why is it so hard to find measurements for the Dekoni Audio Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin Earpads. Even their official website only has Focal Utopia comparisons.

Anyone got a link to or has comparisons with stock pads?

EDIT:

After reading for a couple of days, the best DAC/AMP Combo I can find within my budget that is GREAT for low impedance headphones is the Topping DX5 Lite, which I just ordered. To be honest, I was going to order the DX3 Pro+ but then I read that it's not perfect with low-impedance headphones. DX5 Lite will also allow me to use the balanced cable.

EDIT 2:

Cancelled the order for the Topping DX5 Lite as I read this on a YouTube reviewer comment:

Headphone output on the front of the unit XLR & 6.25 are both single ended (that front XLR is not balanced).It's just there for convenience. On the back of the unit theXLR is balanced.

EDIT 3:

Purchased the DX5 Lite anyway as there is nothing in this price range that seems better than it after 2 days of research. Seems to outperform even $700+ Stacks.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #11,888 of 12,581
hi, I should buy a clear pro for 600 euros, is it better than the standard clear?
It is the same headphone, just a different colour.

Jul 18, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #11,890 of 12,581
I'm giving some consideration to the Bathys. Still love my Clear and don't expect to give them up. The Bathys would enable me to take Focal quality "on the go."

If anyone here has both, would love to hear how they compare. Thx.

Jul 18, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #11,891 of 12,581
It's the same headphone with different colour and accesories. 600 is a great deal and you get an extra set of pads, which is very useful.
I forgot about the extra set of pads. That and the better colour make it a nice buy. I don't like the accordion cable, but I use the Hart cable system anyway.

Jul 18, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #11,892 of 12,581
I forgot about the extra set of pads. That and the better colour make it a nice buy. I don't like the accordion cable, but I use the Hart cable system anyway.
I like both colours tbh. The sets of pads is which really make the difference to me. And the colour on the pro pads and headband doesn't get as dirty as the grey one.
Cables just suck on both models :)

Jul 18, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #11,893 of 12,581
I like both colours tbh. The sets of pads is which really make the difference to me. And the colour on the pro pads and headband doesn't get as dirty as the grey one.
Cables just suck on both models :)
My pads look so dirty already...
I did buy a headband cover though. I also bought a Very expensive set of Dekoni pads, which are much more practical. Unfortunately I love the feel and sound of the originals, so I will wear them until they go real dark. Then whip out the Dekoni's.
20230320_151708_HDR~2.jpg
20230322_131340~2.jpg

Jul 18, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #11,895 of 12,581
read that the clear pro is a little less defined than the clear, which one of you has had both?
I only have the OG Clear's that I got from Headphones.com. The Pro was not an option.

When they were both new in Canada, the OG Clear sold for $1,995.00, plus tax. The Pro version sold for $1,795.00. All in Canuck bucks of course.

I went with the Elex's (2019, I think) at $599.00US. Cost me about $1,000.00, landed. I made the right choice back then, but now with the Headphones.com pricing I would go with the OG Clear's. Three years of warranty in North America.

Back in the day every single thing I read said the Pro and the regular models were the exact same outside of colour and accessories.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back