Focal Clear headphones
Jul 20, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #11,911 of 12,651
Does the "newer" MG version have a warmer sound and no peaks in the treble, but the detail and clarity remain the same as the original clear?
It is warmer overall and peaks are more tamed, but it has a peak in the air region which can bother some people, specially younger ones.
Detail is the same but because of the tuning, the OG sounds more resolving to me.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #11,914 of 12,651
Concerning the Clear MG vs Clear MG Pro differences debate, my brief and subjective impression is that there is none.
I had the chance to listen to the first for half an hour and the latter for about an hour, not in the same day but at the same dealer with the same fine source (Naim Atom Uniti H/E + Tidal) and the same music program selected. The two versions had a very similar character judging by their relative differences from the references I used: the NDH 30 and the new Utopia (2022). Taking with an experienced member of the personnel he told me that they spent many hours comparing the two demo versions without real success in discerning any meaningful differences. After many days of tests with variable music they ended up completely adapting the statement by Focal: it is exactly the same headphone with just different finish and included accessories because the Pro is expected to be used in different conditions.
This makes perfect sense to me. I cannot exclude the rare possibility of someone actually detecting some very minor differences in a test but this should be random and due to unit to unit variation.

Jul 26, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #11,917 of 12,651
I have a hifiman xs, should I swap for a focal clear mg pro + 480 euros difference?
I listen to metal and rock, which one sounds better for my music?
Clear Mg is definitely more laid back, I haven't heard the XS, but if the Sundara is anything to go by, I would say the Mg, even if more laid back, would be a worthy upgrade to my ears.

Jul 28, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #11,920 of 12,651
today I'm trading a hifiman xs with a focal clear mg pro + 480 euros, is it convenient?
You are the only one who can say that. Personally I wouldn't do that. I rather save a bit more and buy a Clear OG, then compare it against the XS and see what you prefer.

If you are used to the profile of the XS, you are gonna miss some treble extension if you go for the MG, cause it's a bit dark in my opinion, except for the air frequencies.

Aug 1, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #11,923 of 12,651
I took the clear mg pros for 860 euros, I will pilot them with schiit asgard 3 rupert neve and dac smsl do 300, let's hope for the best.
Asgard 3 is really nice, I personally prefer it in low gain and volume past 12 o'clock rather than high gain, while other folks I know sware by high gain, anyhow, to my ears, Schiit and Focals go really well toghether in general.

Aug 1, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #11,924 of 12,651
Asgard 3 is really nice, I personally prefer it in low gain and volume past 12 o'clock rather than high gain, while other folks I know sware by high gain, anyhow, to my ears, Schiit and Focals go really well toghether in general.
I absolutely agree with you, asgard 3 low gain also with hd 650, at high gain there is more impact and power but..there is much more noise in the music, the music is harder to listen to and more tiring.

Aug 1, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #11,925 of 12,651
Focal Clear was the first "high end" headphone I bought when I entered the hobby 2 years ago... after playing with 10 other headphones in those 2 years including Hifiman, DCA, Audeze and ZMF, it's the only one I currently own. To me, it's pretty much perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back