Focal Clear headphones
Jun 13, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #11,866 of 12,651
* The (very close second) setup referred to in post #11,859 *
A2F31B29-FB1E-41C1-A479-538A855A6A10.jpeg

Tesla ECC802S pair + Liquid Platinum + Forza Audio Works Noir Hybrid HPC + Focal Clear OG ===== 🎼😀🎶 … with balance, detail, dynamics, excitement, force, heft … and w-i-d-e soundstage. What’s missing: driver collapse, compression, etch, stridency …

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #11,867 of 12,651
Is anyone else's clears creaky? Plastic is very creaky around top left side of the headband when worn. its only 2 months old probably less than 10 hours total play time. Not very impressed with the quality at all... would have been perfect if the headband didn't feel so cheap... trying to get rid of it asap for an LCD-X

Jun 19, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #11,868 of 12,651
Is anyone else's clears creaky? Plastic is very creaky around top left side of the headband when worn. its only 2 months old probably less than 10 hours total play time. Not very impressed with the quality at all... would have been perfect if the headband didn't feel so cheap... trying to get rid of it asap for an LCD-X
Mine too, creakiness aside the build are very durable and solid though

Jun 19, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #11,869 of 12,651
Is anyone else's clears creaky?** Plastic is very creaky around top left side of the headband when worn. its only 2 months old probably less than 10 hours total play time. Not very impressed with the quality at all... would have been perfect if the headband didn't feel so cheap... trying to get rid of it asap for an LCD-X
** No. Sometimes my ears are creaky … 🧐😳 EDIT: I use a headband cover to keep the headband clean; it also dampens any vibration that the headband might transmit. No creaking. All music.
C6E21CCA-49BF-49A5-B937-F7856D9C1695.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #11,872 of 12,651
After enjoying the HD660S for a while, with a journey that started in 2007 with the Audio Technica AD700 and going through many mid-range headphones, I am upgrading to my end-game Focal Clear. It has shipped and I await its arrival.

I'll be connecting it directly to my PC soundcard (I do plan to get a DAC/AMP somewhere down the line in the years ahead), which is a Creative Sound Blaster Z, so for now it will run unbalanced. Since the headphone does not arrive with a 3m cable that ends in a 3.5mm plug, I will have to use an adapter.

I could just get a 1/4 to 3.5mm, but I would rather not risk a cable break at the back of the PC with a long extension towards the wall. So, I am thinking of getting this 4-Pin XLR to 3.5mm (linked below), just wanted to confirm if this will be fine to connect to the 3m XLR cable that comes with the Focal Clear?

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B0B465M3VH/

EDIT: Actually, found this that arrives within 2 days, instead of having to wait almost a month for the above to ship from the US.

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0BL3XRDM9

I do worry about the quality of the latter though, so if it's recommended to order XLR to 3.5mm I linked first in terms of quality, as it uses a 22AWG copper cable, I will order it and then not worry about when it arrives.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #11,873 of 12,651
After enjoying the HD660S for a while, with a journey that started in 2007 with the Audio Technica AD700 and going through many mid-range headphones, I am upgrading to my end-game Focal Clear. It has shipped and I await its arrival.

I'll be connecting it directly to my PC soundcard (I do plan to get a DAC/AMP somewhere down the line in the years ahead), which is a Creative Sound Blaster Z, so for now it will run unbalanced. Since the headphone does not arrive with a 3m cable that ends in a 3.5mm plug, I will have to use an adapter.

I could just get a 1/4 to 3.5mm, but I would rather not risk a cable break at the back of the PC with a long extension towards the wall. So, I am thinking of getting this 4-Pin XLR to 3.5mm (linked below), just wanted to confirm if this will be fine to connect to the 3m XLR cable that comes with the Focal Clear?

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B0B465M3VH/

EDIT: Actually, found this that arrives within 2 days, instead of having to wait almost a month for the above to ship from the US.

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0BL3XRDM9

I do worry about the quality of the latter though, so if it's recommended to order XLR to 3.5mm I linked first in terms of quality, as it uses a 22AWG copper cable, I will order it and then not worry about when it arrives.
Stock it actually comes with a 3.5mm terminated cable and a 6.35mm screw on adapter, as well. Both the Pro and Standard model of the Clear. So you could alternatively get a 3.5mm to 3.5mm extension cord? Less bending than an adapter for sure.

Jul 11, 2023 at 5:39 AM Post #11,874 of 12,651
Stock it actually comes with a 3.5mm terminated cable and a 6.35mm screw on adapter, as well. Both the Pro and Standard model of the Clear. So you could alternatively get a 3.5mm to 3.5mm extension cord? Less bending than an adapter for sure.

That's the 1.2m cable, right?

From my understanding there are three cables that come with it:

1 x 1.2m with 3.5mm stereo jack
1 x 3m with 6.35mm stereo jack
1 x 3m with XLR 4 pin symmetrical

I want to use the bolded one above, so does that terminate in a 3.5mm with a screw on adapter to 6.35mm? It doesn't look that way from the pictures and videos I have seen. It just terminates in a 6.35mm. The 1.2m cable that terminates in a 3.5mm is too short for my use case.

Jul 11, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #11,875 of 12,651
That's the 1.2m cable, right?

From my understanding there are three cables that come with it:

1 x 1.2m with 3.5mm stereo jack
1 x 3m with 6.35mm stereo jack
1 x 3m with XLR 4 pin symmetrical

I want to use the bolded one above, so does that terminate in a 3.5mm with a screw on adapter to 6.35mm? It doesn't look that way from the pictures and videos I have seen. It just terminates in a 6.35mm. The 1.2m cable that terminates in a 3.5mm is too short for my use case.
That's why i suggested an extension cord, instead of an adapter which would be much heavier on the PCI card output.

Jul 11, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #11,876 of 12,651
That's why i suggested an extension cord, instead of an adapter which would be much heavier on the PCI card output.

Thank you for the reply. Headphone arrives in a couple of weeks.

So, anyone here from the first few years? 2017, 2018, even 2019 folk.

What are some things you wish you knew early when taking care of them, cleaning them, etc?

I purchased a headband cover.

Jul 13, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #11,877 of 12,651

What are some things you wish you knew early when taking care of them, cleaning them, etc?

Nothing you do will keep them clean in the long run, just enjoy them.

Jul 13, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #11,878 of 12,651

Pads are replaceable, so just enjoy them. Headband is not replaceable so a headband cover is a must to preserve it.
Nothing you do will keep them clean in the long run, just enjoy them.
That's what I did, now, looking back, I would get a headband cover just to preserve it to retain resale value. I have them since 2017 and still rocking them with no issue, keepers for sure.

Jul 13, 2023 at 5:12 AM Post #11,880 of 12,651
Pads are replaceable, so just enjoy them. Headband is not replaceable so a headband cover is a must to preserve it.

That's what I did, now, looking back, I would get a headband cover just to preserve it to retain resale value. I have them since 2017 and still rocking them with no issue, keepers for sure.
Just be mindful of the type of headband cover. I originally bought a zipper cover and after using it for a few month discovered that the zipper left some pretty deep indents where the zipper touched the top of the headband. Since then I have switched to using button covers instead for both the clear and utopia with no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back