Focal Clear headphones
Mar 22, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #11,791 of 12,593
Lazy day today and I don't feel like showering since I am not going out. Since I will be extra oily today I decided to put on the Dekoni pads. The Clear pads are already starting to discolour. So...

20230322_131340~2.jpg

Mar 22, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #11,792 of 12,593
** Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin:5B4D9E57-3748-4BC0-9F82-039B08AC0F6F.jpeg
Very nice. For the whole day I used the Dekoni pads and they were quite awesome. And Very comfortable. :thumbsup:

Mar 25, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #11,793 of 12,593
Geekria on Amazon. It is the headband cover stated for Audio-Technica ATH-M50X. It fits Clear OG.☑️
Very happy with the headband but tellyawhat, it's a very tight fit and was a bit of a chore to put on. At 1st, I wasn't sure if I had the right band but after playing with it for a bit I got it just right! The other headband that seems popular is the woven wool one. Man, I think they look hideous! Looks like an old grandma sweater!:wink:

Mar 30, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #11,794 of 12,593
After listening to the Clear OG a few times at my local HiFi shop, I'd always written it off - it never seemed like my thing at the time. The soundstage was small, the detail was there but it wasn't mindblowing like the Arya, it was a little warm with a bit of a sharpness in the treble - these were some of the things I thought at the time. But I never feel like the auditions you have at HiFi shops and other places tell the full story. So I wanted to buy a pair and give it a honest shot before I write them off for sure. I'm really glad I did, there's so many qualities I'm hearing now that were not at all apparent during my previous auditions. Admittedly I'm a planar and estat fanatic - which have their own strengths, but there's some real magic to be had with these headphones; namely the ability to render textures, the macro and microdynamic ability, the weight and tactility that everything has. I can go on, but what I was sure was going to be a catch and release of a headphone I thought I wasn't really a fan of, but still curious about, has become something I'm seriously considering keeping in the long haul.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #11,795 of 12,593
After listening to the Clear OG a few times at my local HiFi shop, I'd always written it off - it never seemed like my thing at the time. The soundstage was small, the detail was there but it wasn't mindblowing like the Arya, it was a little warm with a bit of a sharpness in the treble - these were some of the things I thought at the time. But I never feel like the auditions you have at HiFi shops and other places tell the full story. So I wanted to buy a pair and give it a honest shot before I write them off for sure. I'm really glad I did, there's so many qualities I'm hearing now that were not at all apparent during my previous auditions. Admittedly I'm a planar and estat fanatic - which have their own strengths, but there's some real magic to be had with these headphones; namely the ability to render textures, the macro and microdynamic ability, the weight and tactility that everything has. I can go on, but what I was sure was going to be a catch and release of a headphone I thought I wasn't really a fan of, but still curious about, has become something I'm seriously considering keeping in the long haul.
Glad you're able to enjoy the magnificence of the Clear.

The way I feel now ... you can have my Clear when you pry them from my cold, dead hands (or take them off my cold, dead ears).

Mar 30, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #11,796 of 12,593
advice needed: have a friend with a new set of OG Clears. He wants to spend up to $600 on a desktop. Not into pure tubes but hybrid or ss. wants an analog leaning amp but with good detail, solid low bass, and a transparent harmonically rich treble (don't we all). He may also get a HE-6 SE to go with it. IMO his DAC isn't good (Sabre junk). So I told him get a Jot 2, run it in balanced, and snag a Modi MB 2.

Other ideas?

Mar 30, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #11,797 of 12,593
advice needed: have a friend with a new set of OG Clears. He wants to spend up to $600 on a desktop. Not into pure tubes but hybrid or ss. wants an analog leaning amp but with good detail, solid low bass, and a transparent harmonically rich treble (don't we all). He may also get a HE-6 SE to go with it. IMO his DAC isn't good (Sabre junk). So I told him get a Jot 2, run it in balanced, and snag a Modi MB 2.

Other ideas?

Fiio K7 is a good bang-for-the-buck option that is fully balanced with dual AKM dac chips. I use mine with the Clears and do not hear any harshness on the high end, but of course, maybe my ears are just getting old LOL.

Mar 30, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #11,798 of 12,593
Fiio K7 is a good bang-for-the-buck option that is fully balanced with dual AKM dac chips. I use mine with the Clears and do not hear any harshness on the high end, but of course, maybe my ears are just getting old LOL.
K9 perhaps? Initially AKM chips, and then ESS. EDIT: As I look on Amazon, both versions are available, the AKM is $679.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #11,799 of 12,593
The K9 Pro with the AKM chips has been discontinued since last year, but you might be able to snag one if you are lucky. I had the K9 Pro ESS version and thought it was very good, albeit somewhat overpriced. I honestly didn't see a huge sound difference (or at least, one worth the several hundred dollar price difference) between the K7 (with a PL50 linear power supply) and the K9 Pro ESS. That said, if you need bluetooth, XLR inputs / outputs, etc., the K9 Pro offers that and the K7 does not.

Mar 30, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #11,800 of 12,593

Other ideas?
The Liquid Platinum is fantastic with Clear OG. For tubes, I have been using Valvo E88CCs (no adapters) in one LP; in the other LP, Lansdale ‘long plate’ 12AU7s (with adapters). LP is on sale at $339 (before tax etc).

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #11,801 of 12,593
Thanks so far. The amp should just be an amp, no DAC. Not sure about desire for tube rolling either

Mar 30, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #11,802 of 12,593
Its not a very popular option but I highly recommend the Loxjie p20 hybrid tube amp.

Excellent amp for the price and with a upgraded power supply and caps, it yields a really nice improvement without breaking the bank.

Apr 2, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #11,804 of 12,593
Thanks so far. The amp should just be an amp, no DAC. Not sure about desire for tube rolling either
He bought a Liquid Platinum. Thanks all.

Apr 2, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #11,805 of 12,593

Users who are viewing this thread

Back