Focal Clear headphones
Apr 2, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #11,806 of 12,651
advice needed: have a friend with a new set of OG Clears. He wants to spend up to $600 on a desktop. Not into pure tubes but hybrid or ss. wants an analog leaning amp but with good detail, solid low bass, and a transparent harmonically rich treble (don't we all). He may also get a HE-6 SE to go with it. IMO his DAC isn't good (Sabre junk). So I told him get a Jot 2, run it in balanced, and snag a Modi MB 2.

Other ideas?

I'd get an ifi Zen CAN at this price point and just call it a day - the synergy is very good with the Clear OG. You're only going to get marginal improvement from $300-$600.

Edit --> sorry was behind on the thread. The LP is a great choice - although likely above the $600 budget when you factor in great tubes :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #11,808 of 12,651
Such a good morning. And one of my favourite pairings for Clear OG. ZDT Jr adds even more dynamics to the Clear sound, so watch your ears.

iFi Zen Stream -> Hegel HD12 - > Eddie Current ZDT Jr - Focal Clear

Focal_Clear_ZDT_Jr_Xinhs_SilverBlue_8Core.png

Apr 6, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #11,809 of 12,651
Such a good morning. And one of my favourite pairings for Clear OG. ZDT Jr adds even more dynamics to the Clear sound, so watch your ears.

iFi Zen Stream -> Hegel HD12 - > Eddie Current ZDT Jr - Focal Clear

Dam look at those fresh pads. I have an extra pair but my first ones are still fine, just not as minty. They look nice all white.

Apr 8, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #11,811 of 12,651
Changed my mind, couldn't part with them.
Having just switched back to Focal Clear to play the end of The Last Of US Pt 1 yesterday, agree with you. The dynamics and detail punch through like not much else I have.

After 6 hours of use the treble can get fatiguing, but it's good to have the option.

Apr 8, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #11,812 of 12,651
Playing with Clear/LP combo lately.
Also, I have been playing the crap out of this new to me album for the past month.

20230408_165135.jpg

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #11,813 of 12,651
If Focal Clear OG driven by Liquid Platinum with NOS E88CC tubes is ‘stratospheric’, then….
D8950859-3E21-4996-AAFE-B0DA40E162AC.jpeg
…. with NOS long-plate 12AU7 tubes (on adapters) Focal Clear OG becomes ‘ionospheric’ … 😲🤪😀.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #11,814 of 12,651
So I have the Utopia and adore it but...somehow, I miss my OG Clear (sold after getting the Utopia). How is this possible?!

It for sure was a better pair for use while working (Utopia too detailed and involving - requires attentive listening). It had an airy quality that was beguiling too, and some of the best bass I've ever heard in an open back. That's not to say it's better or as good as the Utopia at all, but I'm wondering if there's a case for owning both...

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #11,815 of 12,651
So I have the Utopia and adore it but...somehow, I miss my OG Clear (sold after getting the Utopia). How is this possible?!

It for sure was a better pair for use while working (Utopia too detailed and involving - requires attentive listening). It had an airy quality that was beguiling too, and some of the best bass I've ever heard in an open back. That's not to say it's better or as good as the Utopia at all, but I'm wondering if there's a case for owning both...
You are answering your query ….

Apr 12, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #11,816 of 12,651

I got the Elear after Clear and Utopia... just get the Elear and be done with it folks...

Apr 12, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #11,819 of 12,651
Interesting angle...! Probably won't be doing that though haha
If one gets the chance, since the Elear are discontinued, it's an eye opener. Elear is less harsh on top than both the Clear and Utopia, while having a better punch than Clear. For like around $300 on the used market. No brainer. Elear may even be the strongest in dynamics. Utopia feels over damped while the Clear feels loose in comparison.

Apr 12, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #11,820 of 12,651
If one gets the chance, since the Elear are discontinued, it's an eye opener. Elear is less harsh on top than both the Clear and Utopia, while having a better punch than Clear. For like around $300 on the used market. No brainer. Elear may even be the strongest in dynamics. Utopia feels over damped while the Clear feels loose in comparison.
I had Clear and Elear in house at the same time, and I had a harder time than expected choosing which to keep. If I still had an office setup, I would have kept the Elear for that. Elear with Clear/ZMF pads or if feeling spicy the Sendy Aiva pads really do sound great. I mean, I kept the Clears, but to me they aren't a huge leap up. On my source chain and my ears, YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back