Focal Clear headphones
Apr 12, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #11,821 of 12,651
I love my Clear OG's, but the Elex's are Very close. If the Clear is a nine, the Elex is an eight and a half.

But the Clear does give me three years of warranty and repair work availability after the warranty runs out.

Apr 13, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #11,822 of 12,651
I had Clear and Elear in house at the same time, and I had a harder time than expected choosing which to keep. If I still had an office setup, I would have kept the Elear for that. Elear with Clear/ZMF pads or if feeling spicy the Sendy Aiva pads really do sound great. I mean, I kept the Clears, but to me they aren't a huge leap up. On my source chain and my ears, YMMV.
I kept all three, plus got both a 2017 and 2020 Utopia. It's just crazy the Elear are so good yet depreciated so much and, to my ears, for reasons totally unrelated to their sound performance. Too bad Focal discontinued them, Elear should be Focal's totl killer. Strip down any luxury from the package, price it in the ~$500 msrp bracket, game over. The Drop, Elex thingy, is proof they can offer Elear for sub ~$500, if they wanted that is. Tbh idk how Drop got the exclusive, insane marketing move imo. Especially from a EU customer point of view like myself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Apr 13, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #11,823 of 12,651
I kept all three, plus got both a 2017 and 2020 Utopia. It's just crazy the Elear are so good yet depreciated so much and, to my ears, for reasons totally unrelated to their sound performance. Too bad Focal discontinued them, Elear should be Focal's totl killer. Strip down any luxury from the package, price it in the ~$500 msrp bracket, game over. The Drop, Elex thingy, is proof they can offer Elear for sub ~$500, if they wanted that is. Tbh idk how Drop got the exclusive, insane marketing move imo. Especially from a EU customer point of view like myself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ok you’re making me want to try the Elear now smdh

Apr 13, 2023 at 5:50 AM Post #11,825 of 12,651
To my ears if one likes the HD650, goes Elear. HD800 goes Utopia. Clear og would be somewhere there in between. If one likes the Beyer sound, but without the nastiness that comes with the Beyer highs, go Meze 109 PRO.
I adore the HD650.

There’s somewhere in the U.K. selling them first hand but £899 is a bit punchy…

Apr 13, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #11,826 of 12,651
I adore the HD650.

There’s somewhere in the U.K. selling them first hand but £899 is a bit punchy…
I could live with just the Utopia and HD650... hell, I could live with just the HD650 tbh... I actually did for many years after selling headphones like HD800, LCD2, Beyer T1... $899 for the Elear, no thanks. They went for $600 and less from official dealers regularly. Even before 2019.

Apr 18, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #11,827 of 12,651
IMG_7999.jpeg

Recently got a new cable for my Focal Clear from Hart and hooked up to my THX 789 and noticed when I look at it plugged in from the side it looks a little crooked, almost like it’s bowing downwards a bit. Sorry if it’s a bit hard to tell in the photo. I’ve tried unplugging and plugging it back in a few times, applying some upwards pressure, but it seems to stay in that position which I guess makes sense because it’s XLR.

Aside from it being mildly annoying to look at, especially for someone with OCD, is there anything else unusual about this? I’m assuming it has no affect on sound if I’m not hearing static or cutting out. Like is it possible that one or two of the pins aren’t connected all the way? Just seems a little off visually I guess so wanted to ask about it.

Apr 18, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #11,828 of 12,651
IMG_7999.jpeg

Recently got a new cable for my Focal Clear from Hart and hooked up to my THX 789 and noticed when I look at it plugged in from the side it looks a little crooked, almost like it’s bowing downwards a bit. Sorry if it’s a bit hard to tell in the photo. I’ve tried unplugging and plugging it back in a few times, applying some upwards pressure, but it seems to stay in that position which I guess makes sense because it’s XLR.

Aside from it being mildly annoying to look at, especially for someone with OCD, is there anything else unusual about this? I’m assuming it has no affect on sound if I’m not hearing static or cutting out. Like is it possible that one or two of the pins aren’t connected all the way? Just seems a little off visually I guess so wanted to ask about it.
There is nothing wrong there.
Gravity.

Apr 18, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #11,829 of 12,651
IMG_7999.jpeg

The connection should be fine. It may really be an alignment issue of the XLR socket in the THX 789. The Hart plug can only ‘point’ where the socket ‘points’.

Apr 19, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #11,833 of 12,651
Tested the Nitsch Piety this week with my Clear (OG). Tremendous synergy 🎶:musical_note:🎶

https://nitschsound.com/products/magni-piety
Yes! I found the same synergy. I wanted an affordable alternative to my desktop listening system. Modi/Piety/Clear OG are a great combo.....I'm very surprised that a quality listening experience is available for a very reasonable price!

Leo

Apr 20, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #11,835 of 12,651
Another nice partner is the Valhalla 2.

20230420_110046.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back