Focal Clear headphones
Feb 1, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #8,686 of 12,651
Feb 1, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #8,688 of 12,651
Feb 2, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #8,689 of 12,651
For those interested in the Dekoni Pads check out this video:
Velour pads starts at 9:00

Feb 2, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #8,691 of 12,651
If one can use high fidelity parametric EQ software, like Equalizer APO + PEACE, try it, do it, it's free, plenty of presets from measurement sites to be found online, that one can easily tailor to preference (see my profile for links). It's magic, magic I tell you.

As for pads, deeper pads with more air for the ear lobe and more distance from the driver, like my old busted Clear pads. :relieved:

Feb 2, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #8,692 of 12,651
If one can use high fidelity parametric EQ software, like Equalizer APO + PEACE, try it, do it, it's free, plenty of presets from measurement sites to be found online, that one can easily tailor to preference (see my profile for links). It's magic, magic I tell you.

As for pads, deeper pads with more air for the ear lobe and more distance from the driver, like my old busted Clear pads. :relieved:
Yup, I know I keep posting again and again how much of a game changer EQ is, but it is especially true with a headphone as technically capable as the Clear. I find the Clear just a bit too peaky at 5.5 and 10.5 kHz. But with the right EQ settings, I can get rid of those peaks and it sounds nice and smooth. I honestly don't know if I could live without EQ APO now that I've used it regularly for a while, it really is magic.

Feb 2, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #8,693 of 12,651
is there anyone who replaced stock cable with whatever cable and instantly noticed better sound? im still wondering if i should incest into after market cable

Feb 2, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #8,694 of 12,651
Yes, so true, one can really tell how capable a headphone really is by the way it takes EQ. I put up to 18 and 6 dB from 20 to 75Hz and blast the hell out of my Clear. It just stays so clean and composed it's really wonderful. Bottomless dynamics. HD800 is also really great for EQ. And it's really easy to EQ to preference such linear headphones.

That said, there are some aspect that can be addressed only by pad rolling, like distance from ear to driver, volume, pad to head conduction (aka bone conduction) and of course how overall transparent, free of reflections the pads are.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #8,695 of 12,651
is there anyone who replaced stock cable with whatever cable and instantly noticed better sound? im still wondering if i should incest into after market cable

Yes.
Described it here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-hugo-2-the-official-thread.831345/post-15974430
The cable I use is the beyerdynamic Connection Cable T1 1,4 m

When I got the Clear Pro I first used them with the spiral cable for convenience, but later did some comparisons and the beyerdynamic cable sounds more open and refined. Since then I use that cable.
Never tested the cables with other sources though, so I can't tell you what influence that might have.

Feb 2, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #8,696 of 12,651
Yesterday I needed an RCA pair to install on my Cavalli CTH, had an Audioquest Red River 1 meter RCA cable priced at $180 linked to my Violectric amp and had a dust collecting cable "Monster cable THX intended for RGB video transmission probably priced around $25 when I bought it....And guess what ? no audible difference between the 2 cables, I even used 1 RCA from each brand on different left and right sides at the same time and tried hard to hear any difference just not to feel an idiot shelling $180 on a cable but still nothing :frowning2:
Probably cable upgrading is a hoax when it come to sound for short distances but still I would always buy the more expensive ones same like all of you :)

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #8,698 of 12,651
Never seen any audible difference in cabling other than thicker gauge for long speaker runs but sometimes I have bought just for the looks sadly.
Exactly but probably when it comes to floor standing speakers cables matter especially that floor standing speakers are normally apart for a distance where a bad cable would affect the impedance and the voice.
At least I like to believe so knowing how much I spent on my speaker’s cables 😂😂

Feb 3, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #8,700 of 12,651
Can we espect pretty big discounts on the Clears if Focal launches a successor? The big question will be if its best to get the Clears or the successor.

Since you can get the current Clears for around 900-1000€ instead of 1400-1500€, i would go with the OG one.
When the Clear MG hits the market, there gonna be some review, in hope that there is no major flaw or driver variation.
Even then you still gonna have to pay the full price, you won't gonna get the new Clear as "cheap" as the current version is, for a long time.
Who says that the Clear MG aren't higher priced, like 2k+, then it's already another price bracket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back