Focal Clear headphones
Aug 22, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #4,276 of 12,579
Taking it a step further, there's nothing wrong with saying that we bought a product because we initially liked it (or bought it without trying it), and have come to dislike it. That information can be helpful to others.

Example: I took a chance in buying the M70X, thought it might be a nice step up from the M50X. I initially liked the clarity, but found the bass to be weak. Now I just don't like it in general because other headphones have better clarity and better bass. I have no use for it now, and regret buying it. I haven't sold it because the money isn't worth my time. I haven't given it away to family or friends because I think the bass is too weak for a general listening headphone. My self-esteem isn't overly impacted by admitting to myself and y'all that I made a purchasing mistake, and actually feels kind of good to get that off my chest.

We've all done the same. Maybe posts here should take a queue from Alcohol Anonymous meetings and preface each post with: "My name is ______________ and I'm an audiophile, it's been _____ days since I made a poor purchasing decision". :ksc75smile:

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #4,277 of 12,579
I knew I should've read more before I bought my inferior gray/silver Clears!

Actually, I like the color of the Clears but was restricted to what the retail promotion offered. It just worked out that I was able to dupe everybody that science proves the colors Black/Red sound better. Refer back to the Ferrari reference a few posts back. The vast majority of Ferrari's seen, are Red with Black tires.

:slight_smile:

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #4,278 of 12,579
We've all done the same. Maybe posts here should take a queue from Alcohol Anonymous meetings and preface each post with: "My name is ______________ and I'm an audiophile, it's been _____ days since I made a poor purchasing decision". :ksc75smile:

:smile:

I came to believe that due to my personal audio addiction, that my life had become unmanageable...

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #4,279 of 12,579
After all this talk I wanted to give our pair a look over.

Haven’t really “looked” at that in a bit. I love the sheen ha
1C942161-B754-4C1C-88EE-8E94C5044A19.jpeg

Aug 22, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #4,280 of 12,579

Brilliant post. This really made me belly laugh!

Most of my friends and family think I have a out of control audiophile habit esp when I tell them how much my latest bit of gear cost lol

Aug 22, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #4,281 of 12,579
I had dinner recently with my cousin and his friends, and they asked me what I do to which I responded only as "I sell headphones" to which they didn't think too much of it.

Bit later I mention the headphones we sell and their prices and they basically couldn't comprehend how headphones could cost so much.

Found it little ironic since I know my cousin is a sneakerhead and is spending lots of money on his shoes. We all got our hobbies that make our wallets sad!

Aug 22, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #4,282 of 12,579
I used to think that $100 was kind of expensive for a headphone, as in kind of 'high end'. Slippery slopes in this 'hobby' ...

Aug 22, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #4,283 of 12,579
Some companies are better than others when it comes to such things. I know that Audeze in some cases will charge 50% less for some of the replacement accessories provided that you bought from an authorized dealer and registered your headphone.

Aug 22, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #4,284 of 12,579
I used to think that $100 was kind of expensive for a headphone, as in kind of 'high end'. Slippery slopes in this 'hobby' ...

I also used to have a mental limit where I wouldn't spend over $100 or $150. Over the years it moved up to $250 and then to around $500. It's funny how once you spend over $1K on a headphone or a device (DAC or Amp or DAP) price is less of a deterrent going forward when buying gear.

Aug 22, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #4,286 of 12,579
I had dinner recently with my cousin and his friends, and they asked me what I do to which I responded only as "I sell headphones" to which they didn't think too much of it.

Bit later I mention the headphones we sell and their prices and they basically couldn't comprehend how headphones could cost so much.

Found it little ironic since I know my cousin is a sneakerhead and is spending lots of money on his shoes. We all got our hobbies that make our wallets sad!
Not to mention he probably has a ton of pairs.

You only got 2 feets!!!!!
:grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 22, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #4,287 of 12,579
So if you dropped the added $200 for the Black/Red Clear's...there's an extra set of pads. So it's really like paying for replacement pads up front, but you also get the different color choice.

Aug 22, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #4,288 of 12,579
Hey, if anyone’s interested I just listed my brand new, unopened Clear on the F/S Thread. I had an unfortunate amplifier meltdown that fried my original pair. While I was waiting for the warranty work, my Dealer let me use a loaner pair of Utopia, and darn it, I’m hooked.

I’ve listed them for $1,299.00, and I will cover PayPal and shipping costs.

Aug 22, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #4,289 of 12,579
...I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that all of this info is/was available prior to purchasing these headphones. Buyer beware (and educate yourself before you find something you don't like later and then complain about it).
A bit ironic that you say people should educate themselves pre-purchase, while suggesting that folks shouldn't complain here.
Yep, and just like another poster mentioned, "Expensive toys, expensive repairs."
Very true, in general. But that fact can also affect sales, just ask Jaguar. And while it's generally true, there can be significant variation in such costs, even among premium/luxury brands.

Aug 22, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #4,290 of 12,579
A bit ironic that you say people should educate themselves pre-purchase, while suggesting that folks shouldn't complain here.

Very true, in general. But that fact can also affect sales, just ask Jaguar. And while it's generally true, there can be significant variation in such costs, even among premium/luxury brands.

Not really seeing the irony, but I also didn't say people shouldn't complain. Complain all you want, but if it's something that seems like a complaint that could've been avoided by educating oneself, or a complaint that seems stupid in general, then I may chose to comment on it. Just like the people who chose to complain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back