Focal Clear headphones
Apr 4, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #3,287 of 12,550
Another great review in the latest The Absolute Sound by Steve Stone on the Clear!

Thanks, unfortunately I let my subscription lapse last year, as I have moved more to headphones from my big system. (This has been going on for several years.)

So, any chance you can provide a few pithy quotes from the article? Such as from the Conclusion or other relevant sections? Thanks

Apr 5, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #3,289 of 12,550
Thanks, unfortunately I let my subscription lapse last year, as I have moved more to headphones from my big system. (This has been going on for several years.)

So, any chance you can provide a few pithy quotes from the article? Such as from the Conclusion or other relevant sections? Thanks

Steve found it to be a “high performance, highly musical earphone.” I’m not able cut and paste from the site,
Has anyone tried new Lyr 3 or upgraded Jot with Clear? How's the synergy?

I have a Lyr 3 arriving Monday.

Apr 6, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #3,291 of 12,550
how's these 2 compares to Sennheiser HD 820? anyone try out the Sennheiser for comparison? I always want to know the difference btwn. Sennheiser HD 820 vs. a Berylium headphone
I didn't get to spend much time with the HD820 when I was in CanJam NY. I believe its a closed HD800s essentially.

I regards to comparisons, the Utopia is faster. Sadly that's all I can report on the matter ha.

I will listen to the HD820 again at some point. I just wasn't in the mood to try and push my way through people to be able to hear it longer in NY.

Apr 6, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #3,292 of 12,550
faster would be right, as that's the whole deal behind berylium, it's light and hard, so it response fast.

But to jump to $4K, out of interest, does anyone knows what really is the cost per gram of this material, and how many gram is on their headphone?

Apr 6, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #3,293 of 12,550
I strongly suspect that the machining is much more expensive than the bulk material cost. Beryllium is great, but it's pretty nasty stuff. It's not cheap to protect people from it (and to demonstrate to the relevant authority that you're doing so) while you're shaping it into what you've designed.

Apr 7, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #3,296 of 12,550
i just noticed Massdrop doing a drop of Dekoni focal pads:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dekoni-premium-ear-pads-for-focal

I would like to just give my clears a tad more oomph like the elears had, you guys think pad swapping wil help with that?
And if so which type of pad would be the best. i don't have much experience pad swapping.

I'd also like to know if anyone tried the Elear pads on the clear and if it sounds any good.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 7, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #3,297 of 12,550
i just noticed Massdrop doing a drop of Dekoni focal pads:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dekoni-premium-ear-pads-for-focal

I would like to just give my clears a tad more oomph like the elears had, you guys think pad swapping wil help with that?
And if so which type of pad would be the best. i don't have much experience pad swapping.

I'd also like to know if anyone tried the Elear pads on the clear and if it sounds any good.

Thanks in advance.

I'm with nlwouter. Can anyone explain what might be the audio difference between sheepskin, velour and hybrid. Maybe someone here has some experience with these Dekoni pads?

Apr 7, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #3,298 of 12,550
I'm with nlwouter. Can anyone explain what might be the audio difference between sheepskin, velour and hybrid. Maybe someone here has some experience with these Dekoni pads?
Given that replacement Focal pads are in the $200 range retail, I wouldn't expect a whole lot for $40 from Massdrop.

Apr 7, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #3,300 of 12,550
Price doesn't always mean performance. In addition, the price Focal charges for their replacement pads is absolutely ludicrous.

Yes i was about to say the same thing.

Focal uses there accessories to gain a little bit of extra revenue. The production costs are nowhere near the asking price.

Plus Dekoni is a well known pad manufacturer.

I just want to know what the possible sound change would be from swapping.
i already trust the quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back