Focal Clear headphones
Dec 29, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #10,248 of 12,543
Headphones.com, and they just informed me via email that this is "...considered general wear and tear so it would not fall under a warranty repair with Focal." Nice.
Have you tried going to NAIM Focal directly for the repair? Maybe they'll be more responsive to you. I'm surprised at headphones.com for not helping you out, they're usually very supportive. I hope this isn't a new trend for them.

Dec 29, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #10,249 of 12,543
Call me crazy, but the legibility of the label on my headphones never changed the sonic qualities/abilities.
You're correct in that regard. But owning something involves more than it's basic intended use. Having the lettering coming off affects things like resale value, pride of ownership, etc. Though it has nothing to do with the ability of the headphone to play music, it still has an impact on the overall ownership experience. Plus personal preference comes into play big here. Some will be bothered to no end about it, others won't blink an eye.

Dec 29, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #10,252 of 12,543
Have you tried going to NAIM Focal directly for the repair? Maybe they'll be more responsive to you. I'm surprised at headphones.com for not helping you out, they're usually very supportive. I hope this isn't a new trend for them.

I agree, the Headphones.com guys are (usually) extremely helpful / quick to jump on a problem. I'm wondering if the issue is that Focal defines what falls under "warranty" and this issue (right or wrong) is non-mechanical ? We all agree it's unacceptable - but seems like more of a Focal issue in how warranty defect /support might be defined?

Would suggest calling the headphones.com folks if you are currently back/forth over email. Odd situation - never seen/heard of this with Clears.

Dec 29, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #10,253 of 12,543
That will be my next option should I not be able to convince headphones.com that this is a defect and not "wear and tear." I mean it's not like I'm asking for them to replace the headphones - I just want to replace the defective badges. If they're removable via the 3 hex screws, I can just do it myself. If it's more complicated than that, I would have to send them back, but again, I just want the cosmetic issue dealt with so I doubt it would be a big deal for Focal to address.

Dec 29, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #10,254 of 12,543
I agree, the Headphones.com guys are (usually) extremely helpful / quick to jump on a problem. I'm wondering if the issue is that Focal defines what falls under "warranty" and this issue (right or wrong) is non-mechanical ? We all agree it's unacceptable - but seems like more of a Focal issue in how warranty defect /support might be defined?

Would suggest calling the headphones.com folks if you are currently back/forth over email. Odd situation - never seen/heard of this with Clears.
It's very possible that this issue doesn't fall under the warranty specifications, and if not, I understand. So if that's the final word from headphones.com, I will attempt to appeal directly to Focal to see if they can address it anyway since it's clearly a defect. It is surely an odd issue - which is usually the kind of thing that ends up happening to me, so I'm not really too surprised. :p

Dec 29, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #10,255 of 12,543
It's very possible that this issue doesn't fall under the warranty specifications, and if not, I understand. So if that's the final word from headphones.com, I will attempt to appeal directly to Focal to see if they can address it anyway since it's clearly a defect. It is surely an odd issue - which is usually the kind of thing that ends up happening to me, so I'm not really too surprised. :p

Thats right, but still consider calling Headphones.com. Irregardless, you've invested here (with their company/brand) and you need not settle for something that is sub-perfect. Not sure how long ago you purchased, but just recognize Headphones.com hands might be somewhat tied - in that Focal may reject any warranty (ticket) request if "cosmetic". You may also want to consider pushing on Focal directly...assuming these were sold as new / under warranty...this certainly seems unusual/absurd. Good luck and let us know how you net out.

Dec 29, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #10,256 of 12,543
Hey guys, Alan from headphones.com here. Let me go ahead and reach out to Focal to see if they would any options for the badge replacement.

The usual route of having the headphones sent in for a warranty repair is not exactly the fastest route to get this swapped and hopefully by replacing it yourself does not say void anything warranty related. Some companies can be a bit of stick in the mud regarding what will and will not void a warranty.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Dec 29, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #10,257 of 12,543
Hey guys, Alan from headphones.com here. Let me go ahead and reach out to Focal to see if they would any options for the badge replacement.

The usual route of having the headphones sent in for a warranty repair is not exactly the fastest route to get this swapped and hopefully by replacing it yourself does not say void anything warranty related. Some companies can be a bit of stick in the mud regarding what will and will not void a warranty.
Thank you, Alan. Also thank you to April at headphones.com for following up again with me and apologizing for not checking with Focal first before writing my situation off as normal wear and tear. I look forward to finding out what Focal has to say. Much appreciated!

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #10,258 of 12,543
Guess it makes sense why the Elex pads on Drop are on perpetual sale at $60 versus Clear pads at $100 atm in headphones.com. it's noticeably less dense, I can't definitively know how much it affects tuning since I don't have any measuring rig, for now I can't really hear much difference.
20211225_153820.jpg

Ngl though, I like this color scheme than red. Reminds me of the Elear, which I really liked aesthetically.
20211225_153048.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #10,259 of 12,543
Guess it makes sense why the Elex pads on Drop are on perpetual sale at $60 versus Clear pads at $100 atm in headphones.com. it's noticeably less dense, I can't definitively know how much it affects tuning since I don't have any measuring rig, for now I can't really hear much difference.
Are the mounting rings the same with the Elex pads and the official Clear pads? Looking into some cheap pads to destroy and harvest the mounting rings for use with some 3rd party ear pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back