Focal Clear headphones
Dec 14, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #10,216 of 12,550
The reason I ask- and why I am posting in this string rather than an Elear string: Focal replaced the drivers in my Elears earlier this year, and they sounded so good afterwards it made me wonder: Might they have replaced the failed drivers with Clear drivers if they no longer had Elear drivers in stock? Surely they would have run out of Elear parts by now?
It depends on what they replace, no? Depends why the driver failed. I dont see why theyd replace the actual driver dome itself as that surely didnt shatter?

Dec 14, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #10,217 of 12,550
It depends on what they replace, no? Depends why the driver failed. I dont see why theyd replace the actual driver dome itself as that surely didnt shatter?
Great point. My Elears suffered the dreaded bass issue- one side started “breaking up” (buzzing/crackling during deep bass notes) even at low volumes. Focal “replaced the drivers” (my dealer’s wording) on both sides to ensure balance between the two sides.

To your point, I don’t know that Focal replaced the entire driver on each side, if it was easier/lower-cost/reliable to execute a partial replacement… but regardless they sound glorious now, and I’m unsure how much of a step up it would be to get a pair of Clears… and with COVID, my local dealer isn’t doing auditions (and I don’t blame them!).

Dec 15, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #10,218 of 12,550
Great point. My Elears suffered the dreaded bass issue- one side started “breaking up” (buzzing/crackling during deep bass notes) even at low volumes. Focal “replaced the drivers” (my dealer’s wording) on both sides to ensure balance between the two sides.

To your point, I don’t know that Focal replaced the entire driver on each side, if it was easier/lower-cost/reliable to execute a partial replacement… but regardless they sound glorious now, and I’m unsure how much of a step up it would be to get a pair of Clears… and with COVID, my local dealer isn’t doing auditions (and I don’t blame them!).

Just a thought from a Clear (OG) enthusiast --> If you have arrived at "glory" :angel: with your Elears (regardless of how) --> enjoy for a few months (at least) before jumping. Don't short-change yourself.

:beyersmile:

Dec 15, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #10,219 of 12,550

It’s highly unlikely that your Elear’s drivers have been replaced deliberately with other driver types, considering how much effort goes into the tuning of headphones. Changing something as fundamental as the driver would surely influence the tonal balance and resonances quite a bit.

Considering the difference between the Elear and the Clears - I tested the Elear for about an hour a year ago, and while the first impression was positive I did start to hear the upper midrange dip and treble spike after some time. Something sounded off on certain tracks. Also the staging was quite limited if I remember correctly. Anyway, I disregarded the Elear after that test.

The Clears sounded better to me, more balanced and with a smoother midrange response, more “open” and maybe a bit more textured Top to bottom. That does not mean you would prefer them. I listen to a lot of Classical, Acoustic and Vocal music, where imaging, detail and accurate tonality are very important, and I use a detail and sound stage focused DAC/Amp. With other sources, genres and personal preferences your impressions will likely be different.

2 other points - you Mentioned that the Elears had a driver failure. Do you listening to bassy music at high volume, maybe adding bass with EQ? If that were the case the Clears are maybe a risky purchase, because they are also excursion limited and you can run into issues and arguably damage them when overloading them with loud, sub-bass heavy music.
Secondly, the technical performance of the Clears is likely not that much better than the Elears.

To me the Clears were without doubt the better headphones and worth the price difference, but it sounds like in your case buying blind, without having a chance to compare them is risky. The only reason in favor is that the original Clears are being sold off, and will likely not be available much longer. Otherwise I’d rather try a different brand headphone in your case, maybe a Hifiman Arya. Excellent and quite different flavor of headphone.

Dec 15, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #10,220 of 12,550
Just a thought from a Clear (OG) enthusiast --> If you have arrived at "glory" :angel: with your Elears (regardless of how) --> enjoy for a few months (at least) before jumping. Don't short-change yourself.

:beyersmile:
Great feedback and I agree. Thank you.

Dec 15, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #10,221 of 12,550
It’s highly unlikely that your Elear’s drivers have been replaced deliberately with other driver types, considering how much effort goes into the tuning of headphones. Changing something as fundamental as the driver would surely influence the tonal balance and resonances quite a bit.

Considering the difference between the Elear and the Clears - I tested the Elear for about an hour a year ago, and while the first impression was positive I did start to hear the upper midrange dip and treble spike after some time. Something sounded off on certain tracks. Also the staging was quite limited if I remember correctly. Anyway, I disregarded the Elear after that test.

The Clears sounded better to me, more balanced and with a smoother midrange response, more “open” and maybe a bit more textured Top to bottom. That does not mean you would prefer them. I listen to a lot of Classical, Acoustic and Vocal music, where imaging, detail and accurate tonality are very important, and I use a detail and sound stage focused DAC/Amp. With other sources, genres and personal preferences your impressions will likely be different.

2 other points - you Mentioned that the Elears had a driver failure. Do you listening to bassy music at high volume, maybe adding bass with EQ? If that were the case the Clears are maybe a risky purchase, because they are also excursion limited and you can run into issues and arguably damage them when overloading them with loud, sub-bass heavy music.
Secondly, the technical performance of the Clears is likely not that much better than the Elears.

To me the Clears were without doubt the better headphones and worth the price difference, but it sounds like in your case buying blind, without having a chance to compare them is risky. The only reason in favor is that the original Clears are being sold off, and will likely not be available much longer. Otherwise I’d rather try a different brand headphone in your case, maybe a Hifiman Arya. Excellent and quite different flavor of headphone.

Good advice above for @AudioDuck

What likely occured is your brain took a "sonic break" while your Elears were out for repair. To @surfgeorge point - always important to swap cans every so often to avoid headphone fatigue with your daily drivers.

Right now, I am using my Koss KPH30i (clear)...simply as a palate cleanser...you could consider saving $1k on the Arya idea above and picking up a $30 pair of these Koss :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: best $30 you'll ever spend !

My Focal Clears, ZMFs, etc. are all in their cases taking a rest tonight. Gotta refresh the mind every so often.

Dec 15, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #10,222 of 12,550

Indeed- and my tastes (smooth treble, lush midrange, and deep, high-quality bass) run more towards something like the ZMF Aeolus/Auteur or Audeze’s LCD-3.

I listen to rock, pop, indie, jazz, and some rap and blues. Hence the Arya’s ethereal sound signature (from what I’ve read) would not suit me too well, I reckon. Thankfully all of these are generally in my budget range when pre-loved…

Given that my Elears scratch the dynamic, foot-tapping itch with the forward mids and high PRaT, something more mellow (yet with deep, clean bass) is what I’m going for. And, now that I’ve articulated/realized that, isn’t the Clear, as good as I know it is. 😊

Dec 15, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #10,225 of 12,550
Switched tubes on my Liquid Platinum to some Reflektor NOS, but I think they are not actually NOS. Anyway LP is now performing much better the with Focal Clear. Will need to re-evaluate Liquid Platinum, seems my units EH 6922 stock tubes did not sound good with the Focal Clear. LP is not at ZDT jr level but its closer now. Will post more impressions later with picture of the setup.

Dec 20, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #10,229 of 12,550
Thanks, but I want to keep it. Just need a shorter option for some use cases :)

Halby Cables (Victor) makes custom / hand-crafted with good quality OFC https://www.etsy.com/shop/HalbyCables

By no means is this an "audiophile" cable, but from my experience its a quality cable with really solid performance. Feel free to PM if you'd like suggestions for higher price point options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back