Focal Clear headphones
Dec 22, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #10,231 of 12,550
16_Focal_Clear_SMSL_VMV D1SE_Alo_Audio_Rx_MK3-B.jpeg

Focal Clear pairings pt16:
SMSL VMV D1SE + Alo Audio Rx MK3-B

The best and clearest portable amp I ever heard. And gobs of power.

Alo Audio Rx MK3-B works really well with the Focal Clears. Somehow it reminds me of Bladelius speakers amps, the Class A/B ones not the newer Class D amps. Superclean, dynamic, attack, slam, control. Soundstage is larger on some of the other more colorful amps like ZDT Jr, Liquid Carbon and Cavalli Tube Hybrid. But if you want clean pure power and the Clears to truly rock this is the way to go. The bass boost control works amazingly well, adjust to your liking. Perhaps listening for hours would imply some listening fatigue. Haven’t experienced it yet but Clears are already dynamic and adding Rx MK3-B will make it even more so.

I wish Alo Audio reads this and they re-release the Rx MK3-B as a desktop amp. I believe many would appreciate the sound signature. It is such a great, clear, clean, powerful but still natural sounding alternative to THX AAA amps and such. It is like the clarity from THX AAA but with much added weight to midrange and bass, and a more realistic sound. The synergy with some Hifimans like HE-500 is insane. Probably measures poorly but who cares when it sounds like this. Best pairing is hard to drive stuff as there is some hiss on easy to drive headphones, and way to much power for IEMs.

Tablet source is for show. I am usually sourcing from the computer or one of my streamers.

17_Focal_Clear_Liquid_Platinum_SMSL_VMV_D1SE.jpg

Focal Clear pairings pt17:
SMSL VMV D1SE + Monolith Liquid Platinum (Reflektor 6N23P-EV)

The comeback of Liquid Platinum.

So I exchanged the stock EH6922 tubes on the Liquid Platinum to some Reflektor 6N23P-EV from Ebay, maybe NOS maybe not, can’t tell.

Anyway the LP is now a different amp with the Clears. The LP with Clears is not sounding flat and boring anymore, and the soundstage is so much better. LP is getting close to the ZDT Jr. The ZDT Jr is slightly more dynamic and hits harder. And has a bit more sparkle in the treble. Liquid Platinum sounds like it has a softer approach, easier on the ear. But the differences between ZDT Jr and Liquid Platinum are now much more subtle and I enjoy both immensely.

Liquid Platinum + Focal Clears went from “meh” to "yummie":relaxed: and I really cant decide between CTH, Carbon or Liquid Platinum in addition to ZDT Jr. And I got more tubes to cover with the LP.

DACs used mainly SMSL VMV D1se (sweeter), Hegel HD12 (dynamic, harder hitting). Streamed from iFi Zen Stream connected to ethernet, Wifi turned off, USB output, Tidal and Spotify.

Note that the Liquid Platinum is much deeper than the D1SE, but they can be stacked if you add extra feet to the Cavalli amp.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #10,232 of 12,550
Is anyone here driving their Clear/Clear MG with A&K SP1000?

Would love to know what to expect from this combo.

Dec 28, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #10,233 of 12,550
Anyone with OG Clears having issues with the lettering on the ear cup badges fading or rubbing off? I just noticed mine is experiencing this. I tested it by just lightly touching the word "Clear" on one of the badges, and the "C" is now gone. Other sections of various words look like they're fading, too.

I've babied these things since I got them new 9 months ago, and never purposely touch the badges. Looks like defective printing/application to me.

Dec 28, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #10,234 of 12,550
My pair is only a week old but considering I'm planning on returning them, I appreciate knowing about this! Thanks.

Dec 28, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #10,235 of 12,550
Anyone with OG Clears having issues with the lettering on the ear cup badges fading or rubbing off? I just noticed mine is experiencing this. I tested it by just lightly touching the word "Clear" on one of the badges, and the "C" is now gone. Other sections of various words look like they're fading, too.

I've babied these things since I got them new 9 months ago, and never purposely touch the badges. Looks like defective printing/application to me.
I got mine a couple weeks ago and no problems. I just tried rubbing all the lettering to be sure and no change.

Dec 28, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #10,236 of 12,550

I've had this on a pair of elegias and they were replaced by Focal via the retailer for a new pair as it was agreed to be faulty.
The replacement Elegias and my pair of OG Clears do not have the problem, I can rub the lettering as hard as I like and it stays in place.

Hope that helps.

Dec 28, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #10,237 of 12,550
I've had my Clears for almost a year and no issue with letters coming off.

Dec 28, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #10,239 of 12,550

Had mine about 9 months as well and haven’t noticed that. Then again I haven’t tried touching the lettering!

Dec 28, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #10,241 of 12,550
I've had this on a pair of elegias and they were replaced by Focal via the retailer for a new pair as it was agreed to be faulty.
The replacement Elegias and my pair of OG Clears do not have the problem, I can rub the lettering as hard as I like and it stays in place.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for this info. I'm going to pursue replacement with the retailer via the factory warranty. Hopefully they can just provide replacement badges I can switch out - I'd rather not have them replace the cans just for this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back