Focal Clear headphones
Jan 2, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #10,263 of 12,550
I've had the Focal Clear Pro for more than a year now and still love the detailed, clear and accurate sound!

When I decided for the Focal Clears I was comparing them against the Sennheiser HD800S and the Hifiman Arya.
I remembered liking the Arya a lot and if the Clear had not been discounted it would have been a more diffcult decision.
Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I found an Arya for a price too good to pass, so I bought it.

I have been listening to the Arya driven by the CHORD Hugo 2 for days, and enjoyed the wide open stage, high levels of detail and great separation.
But honestly, when I compare it to the Focal Clears I notice the limited dynamics of the Arya, which just makes the abilities of the Clears stand out.
The Clears have such an accurate and quick leading edge of the notes that there's a lot more PRAT in the music.
I also noticed the actually really good imaging, the stage is not as wide for sure, but with a good recording the stage is very believable and accurate.

Long story short - having the Arya at hand just makes me appreciate how good the Clears really are!

Cheers!

Jan 2, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #10,264 of 12,550
I've had the Focal Clear Pro for more than a year now and still love the detailed, clear and accurate sound!

When I decided for the Focal Clears I was comparing them against the Sennheiser HD800S and the Hifiman Arya.
I remembered liking the Arya a lot and if the Clear had not been discounted it would have been a more diffcult decision.
Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I found an Arya for a price too good to pass, so I bought it.

I have been listening to the Arya driven by the CHORD Hugo 2 for days, and enjoyed the wide open stage, high levels of detail and great separation.
But honestly, when I compare it to the Focal Clears I notice the limited dynamics of the Arya, which just makes the abilities of the Clears stand out.
The Clears have such an accurate and quick leading edge of the notes that there's a lot more PRAT in the music.
I also noticed the actually really good imaging, the stage is not as wide for sure, but with a good recording the stage is very believable and accurate.

Long story short - having the Arya at hand just makes me appreciate how good the Clears really are!

Cheers!
Good summary, this is why I went with the Clears mainly. The Arya's might have a very nice stage but I sometimes tend to think that, while impressive for a while, eventually you become accustomed to it and it sounds less special. And the Clear's tuning seemed much closer to my preference. The Arya tends to be described as lean and that's not really my thing.

And, like you said, tough to beat the Clear at it's current price. Being easier to drive is a plus as well. Don't have to go source chasing with the Clears.

Jan 2, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #10,265 of 12,550
If you're interested I made a 3D printable adapter a while back.
Is it as strong or durable as those found on the official Focal or Drop Elex pads?

Over in the Elegia thread, someone posted a link to a 3D printed adapter on eBay for ~$12 but quite flimsy.

My pad adapter came in from eBay. This allowed me to pad-roll with a few standard oval pads. One pad especially sounds fantastic, and tops all other previous pads for me - including the Dekoni Sheepskin and even the Dekoni Stellia Limited Edition.

I used this adapter at ~$12:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174976680275?var=474125076754

Maybe I should try find someone with old worn out Focal pads that are no longer in use.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #10,266 of 12,550
Is it as strong or durable as those found on the official Focal or Drop Elex pads?

Over in the Elegia thread, someone posted a link to a 3D printed adapter on eBay for ~$12 but quite flimsy.

Depends on what material you have them printed in. Nylon is quite strong and a bit flexible.

Jan 2, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #10,267 of 12,550

Maybe I should try find someone with old worn out Focal pads that are no longer in use.
Did he ever elaborate what oval pad he preferred to the Dekonis? I actually have some old clear pads worth cannibalizing lol. I wouldn't mind rolling other pads. There's a schiit ton out there.

Jan 2, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #10,268 of 12,550
Did he ever elaborate what oval pad he preferred to the Dekonis? I actually have some old clear pads worth cannibalizing lol. I wouldn't mind rolling other pads. There's a schiit ton out there.
Yeah, click on that post and it'll take you to these weird sort of oval pads:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DJ52CFF

For me, I'm thinking ZMF Ori or something similar of size to try. Mainly after the larger ear opening over the Focal / Dekoni oval ones (62mmx48mm).

Jan 2, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #10,269 of 12,550
Yeah, click on that post and it'll take you to these weird sort of oval pads:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DJ52CFF

For me, I'm thinking ZMF Ori or something similar of size to try. Mainly after the larger ear opening over the Focal / Dekoni oval ones (62mmx48mm).
I'm thinking the same thing myself. Something a little bigger in the opening and possibly a little thicker to push the ear further away from the driver.
Should be a fun experiment lol

Jan 2, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #10,270 of 12,550
I'm thinking the same thing myself. Something a little bigger in the opening and possibly a little thicker to push the ear further away from the driver.
Should be a fun experiment lol
Or just use a pair of really stale doughnuts between head & existing earpads…😜🤪

Jan 3, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #10,271 of 12,550
Are the mounting rings the same with the Elex pads and the official Clear pads? Looking into some cheap pads to destroy and harvest the mounting rings for use with some 3rd party ear pads.
It is, but $60 is such a waste for just the mount. The 3d printable one would significantly be cheaper.

That's actually a common comparison between both as they used to be in the same price range. With the Clear now around sub-$1000 at headphones.com as it's discontinued and it being the last few batches, while Arya is still around $1500 bnew except when you buy used.

Resolve made a good comparison between both, and it's similar to my own experience w/ my Arya v1. Clears had a lot more nuance and punch w/ the bass and as far as dynamics go, it's really one of the best out there for its price. Arya even with its better sub-bass extension, still was quite limp in that regard, which IME was the same as how I felt with the HEKv2, and I think all egg-shaped Hfms are like that with the exception of the Susvara. Arya might have some slight lead in detail and stage, but that very slight thing is not enough for it to overtake how much impact the Clear does for me personally.

If it wasn't for the metallic timbre Focal cans have, the Clear would be the overall the best all-rounder for this price range.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #10,273 of 12,550
Hi received a pair of clear pros about 3 weeks ago and i am really blown away.
Question is does the nail in the ear treble spike that occasionally invades reduce with burn in?
Am running it conjunction with a schitt asgard 3 and modius combination.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #10,274 of 12,550
Hi received a pair of clear pros about 3 weeks ago and i am really blown away.
Question is does the nail in the ear treble spike that occasionally invades reduce with burn in?
Am running it conjunction with a schitt asgard 3 and modius combination.
Thanks in advance
How many hours do you have on them? Me personally when I had them never had the treble issue that you're experiencing. I do use a tube hybrid amp(mjolnir 2) though.

The Clear OG and MG do smooth out when you start getting close to the 30 hour mark. I burned mine in running them 24/7 with bass heavy tracks at listening levels for 2 days and even after 24 hours there was a noticeable difference from out of the box.

Jan 6, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #10,275 of 12,550
How many hours do you have on them? Me personally when I had them never had the treble issue that you're experiencing. I do use a tube hybrid amp(mjolnir 2) though.

The Clear OG and MG do smooth out when you start getting close to the 30 hour mark. I burned mine in running them 24/7 with bass heavy tracks at listening levels for 2 days and even after 24 hours there was a noticeable difference from out of the box.
Many thanks for your help. Probably less than 12 hours all up. Have been letting them run sitting on the desk for a few hours. Don't cop the spike all that often but when it happens it can be obvious.
Are you using any form of EQ.
Many thanks again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back