Focal Clear headphones
May 24, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #9,541 of 12,651
I got Ananda and sold it, partly because it lacked too much dynamics but also because those huge egg-shaped pads weren't very comfortable and the positioning affected the SQ too much. I would definitely have the same problems with Arya.

I use UAPP with bit perfect most of the time, so the EQ I would prefer to avoid and HD 800s without EQ might be unpleasant.

I had identified Focal Clear as the ideal headphone ... the alternatives I see would be the cheaper Senn HD 600 / 600S but maybe it can't compete with the Clear, something like AKG K812 or closed options like a Sony MDR-Z1R.

I'd like to watch RAD-0 or Diana too, but they are too expensive.
I just bought and received a Clear OG and it sounds really good and has deep bass. It is a very satisfying listen. The only problem is that I also own a ZMF Verite Closed. When I A/B tested the Clear OG and the ZMF VC, the VC beat it in every category. The VC has a much bigger sound stage and much better treble response. I expected the Clears to win out in punch and slam and clarity, but the VC is better. So, I am probably going to sell the Clears and get a Utopia.

May 24, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #9,542 of 12,651
I got Ananda and sold it, partly because it lacked too much dynamics but also because those huge egg-shaped pads weren't very comfortable and the positioning affected the SQ too much. I would definitely have the same problems with Arya.

I use UAPP with bit perfect most of the time, so the EQ I would prefer to avoid and HD 800s without EQ might be unpleasant.

I had identified Focal Clear as the ideal headphone ... the alternatives I see would be the cheaper Senn HD 600 / 600S but maybe it can't compete with the Clear, something like AKG K812 or closed options like a Sony MDR-Z1R.

I'd like to watch RAD-0 or Diana too, but they are too expensive.
If PEQ is not an option then imo "out of the box" dynamics and all rounder performance would be good on sony, fostex, and focal, and perhaps a little less dynamic Sennheiser six hundred series (because imo a little less punchy). There are other too, but more picky about downstream synergy.

May 24, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #9,543 of 12,651
I just bought and received a Clear OG and it sounds really good and has deep bass. It is a very satisfying listen. The only problem is that I also own a ZMF Verite Closed. When I A/B tested the Clear OG and the ZMF VC, the VC beat it in every category. The VC has a much bigger sound stage and much better treble response. I expected the Clears to win out in punch and slam and clarity, but the VC is better. So, I am probably going to sell the Clears and get a Utopia.
Hugo 2 + Cayin C9?

May 24, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #9,544 of 12,651
May 24, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #9,545 of 12,651
If you don't mind having to use parametric equalization, the HD800/S/XX + PEQ is a perfect alternative for the Clear. Or one could just settle for something more reasonable and great all-rounder like HD650 / 660 / 600.
I'm going to second the idea that the OG Clears are cut from the same cloth as the HD 660S, fit, pads, and sound signature are all very similar, with the OG Clears just being a bit more detailed with better bass to my ears.

May 24, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #9,546 of 12,651
I currently own the HD 6XX's, and owned (now returned) the ATH R70X. I liked the ATH R70X for it's neutral sound and wide(r) soundstage compared to the HD 6XX's, but the clarity on the 6XX's got me. That said, I'm looking to upgrade, and have been on the fence between the Focal Clear's and HD 800s (or 8XX if and when it releases). Unfortunately, I don't have access to a shop that I can test both, so I'm simply going off of what I can find on the interwebs... I've read that the Focal Clear's would be a direct upgrade from the 6XX/650's, but I am looking for something that provides a wide soundstage... Recommendations? Thank you in advance!
I have no experience with the HD6XX but have compared the Clear Pro OG and the Sennheiser HD800S extensively.
If you are after a wide soundstage, the HD800S is supposedly the very best there is, and it's really wide, deep and precise.
It's phenomenal with orchestra, you really get the feeling of sitting in the 10th row rather than really close up to the orchestra.

The Clear has a much more intimate stage, at best jazz club size IMO, and I am already using it with a DAC that's really good in terms of stage.

Tonality wise they are quite different too, the Clear is a slightly warm, punchy headphone with really good balance and very versatile. The HD800S is brighter, very detailed and can sound a bit thin. Again, I find the HD800S great with classical, but the Clear is more versatile.

If they were the same price I'd take the HD800S, since I got the Clears for 60% of the HD800S' price I went with them.
Hope that helps

May 24, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #9,547 of 12,651
The Clear can't handle too much of an increase in the bass response without hitting it's mechanical clipping limit (although it does seem to be a bit situational and possibly even unit to unit).
OK this makes sense, thanks a lot for explaining :beerchug:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 25, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #9,548 of 12,651
I have the HD650, 6xx, and Clear. The Clear is not as warm as the 650 but is more detailed and dynamic. It is not as dry as the HD800, but more musical and neutral. It is far easier to drive than any Sennheiser.

May 26, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #9,552 of 12,651
In general use, is there a rule of thumb for how much I can EQ the sub-bass on my OG focal clear without having to fuss with any clipping? I was thinking maybe 3-5 decibel at 20hz from a Loki+?

Overall, I am quite pleased with the focal clear. They are about as bright as I can go, and I enjoy the tuning. In large part, I am fine with not EQing them any and running them balanced out of my jot 2, bifrost 2 combo. However, I also have a loki running out of the bifrost 2 se and into the jot2 se - so every now and then I'd like to EQ the bass.

May 26, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #9,553 of 12,651
In general use, is there a rule of thumb for how much I can EQ the sub-bass on my OG focal clear without having to fuss with any clipping? I was thinking maybe 3-5 decibel at 20hz from a Loki+?

Overall, I am quite pleased with the focal clear. They are about as bright as I can go, and I enjoy the tuning. In large part, I am fine with not EQing them any and running them balanced out of my jot 2, bifrost 2 combo. However, I also have a loki running out of the bifrost 2 se and into the jot2 se - so every now and then I'd like to EQ the bass.

+2,5db 100hz low shelf worked best for me

May 28, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #9,554 of 12,651
I bought Focal Clear Professional after many doubts, I will use it combined with IFI Micro IDSD Black Label.

I've always read excellent feedback on pairing.

I bought it used from a Headfier, it is in perfect condition and with about 50 hours of use, but without warranty.

How many years have you had your Clear? Never any problem?

May 29, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #9,555 of 12,651
I bought Focal Clear Professional after many doubts, I will use it combined with IFI Micro IDSD Black Label.

I've always read excellent feedback on pairing.

I bought it used from a Headfier, it is in perfect condition and with about 50 hours of use, but without warranty.

How many years have you had your Clear? Never any problem?
You should still have some remaining factory warranty. I believe it has a 3 year warranty. I've had mine for a year and a half and no issues whatsoever. I use mine at least 2 to 3 hours a day and longer on the weekends. I've never been able to get mine to clip either. Even at insane volumes with ridiculous bass heavy EDM.

My only gripe would be the pads but my remedy was the Dekoni Limited Stellia pads. Half the price and twice the quality.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Clear OG.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back