Focal Clear headphones
May 23, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #9,528 of 12,651
Anyone feel like the OG Clear has way more soundstage than the MG version?
I cannot speak to the Focal Clear Magnesium, but I will attest for the original Focal Clear to a satisfyingly wide soundstage with the stock pads and a wider soundstage with Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads. I have been using the latter out of preference - the stock pads feel too “squishy”.
6FC9D9DA-FBDF-4327-9AD4-8F86F65A256E.jpeg

May 24, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #9,535 of 12,651
I see. Can you please tell me (either here or via PM) in what way this wasn't a good match?

The Clear can't handle too much of an increase in the bass response without hitting it's mechanical clipping limit (although it does seem to be a bit situational and possibly even unit to unit).

May 24, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #9,536 of 12,651
However, this thing is absurd for a 1500 € headset.

It's the only reason I'm still stalling and it's holding me back from buying it.

Because I wouldn't want to waste time with returns and replacements in case of problems and I would never be completely relaxed with heavy bass music or pushing the bass too hard.

May 24, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #9,537 of 12,651
I can say I'll be willing to go through a replacement if that is what it takes to get a sample that doesn't clip too early, I really enjoy my og Clear, I guess I was lucky my doesn't have that issue (2017 batch s/n).

However 1500EUR is more than the og Clear was selling for since mid 2019 (~1000EUR). So keep that in mind about my view on the issue.

If you don't mind having to use parametric equalization, the HD800/S/XX + PEQ is a perfect alternative for the Clear. Or one could just settle for something more reasonable and great all-rounder like HD650 / 660 / 600.

If one doesn't mind going planar, there are plenty of options there too.

May 24, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #9,538 of 12,651
I can say I'll be willing to go through a replacement if that is what it takes to get a sample that doesn't clip too early, I really enjoy my og Clear, I guess I was lucky my doesn't have that issue (2017 batch s/n).

However 1500EUR is more than the og Clear was selling for since mid 2019 (~1000EUR). So keep that in mind about my view on the issue.

If you don't mind having to use parametric equalization, the HD800/S/XX + PEQ is a perfect alternative for the Clear. Or one could just settle for something more reasonable and great all-rounder like HD650 / 660 / 600.

If one doesn't mind going planar, there are plenty of options there too.
I got Ananda and sold it, partly because it lacked too much dynamics but also because those huge egg-shaped pads weren't very comfortable and the positioning affected the SQ too much. I would definitely have the same problems with Arya.

I use UAPP with bit perfect most of the time, so the EQ I would prefer to avoid and HD 800s without EQ might be unpleasant.

I had identified Focal Clear as the ideal headphone ... the alternatives I see would be the cheaper Senn HD 600 / 600S but maybe it can't compete with the Clear, something like AKG K812 or closed options like a Sony MDR-Z1R.

I'd like to watch RAD-0 or Diana too, but they are too expensive.

May 24, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #9,539 of 12,651
I currently own the HD 6XX's, and owned (now returned) the ATH R70X. I liked the ATH R70X for it's neutral sound and wide(r) soundstage compared to the HD 6XX's, but the clarity on the 6XX's got me. That said, I'm looking to upgrade, and have been on the fence between the Focal Clear's and HD 800s (or 8XX if and when it releases). Unfortunately, I don't have access to a shop that I can test both, so I'm simply going off of what I can find on the interwebs... I've read that the Focal Clear's would be a direct upgrade from the 6XX/650's, but I am looking for something that provides a wide soundstage... Recommendations? Thank you in advance!

May 24, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #9,540 of 12,651
I currently own the HD 6XX's, and owned (now returned) the ATH R70X. I liked the ATH R70X for it's neutral sound and wide(r) soundstage compared to the HD 6XX's, but the clarity on the 6XX's got me. That said, I'm looking to upgrade, and have been on the fence between the Focal Clear's and HD 800s (or 8XX if and when it releases). Unfortunately, I don't have access to a shop that I can test both, so I'm simply going off of what I can find on the interwebs... I've read that the Focal Clear's would be a direct upgrade from the 6XX/650's, but I am looking for something that provides a wide soundstage... Recommendations? Thank you in advance!
One quick thought as you are considering the Focal Clear: A pre-owned/demo/open-box Focal Elear with a good cable upgrade (Norne, Synergistic Research, Moon Audio are all good options) is a really phenomenal headphone at the price of the Clear. The sound stage is very good with mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back