Focal Clear headphones
May 16, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #9,511 of 12,633
Nope, never had any clipping during normal use. And I do push them quite hard and with extreme bass boost for movies and edm etc... Like both loud and heavy on the bass boost.

I managed to make them clip once, for test, I had to push them way louder then my ears can take, and with extreme bass boost, posted about it here.

May 16, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #9,512 of 12,633
Nope, never had any clipping during normal use. And I do push them quite hard and with extreme bass boost for movies and edm etc... Like both loud and heavy on the bass boost.

I managed to make them clip once, for test, I had to push them way louder then my ears can take, and with extreme bass boost, posted about it here.
I believe it's unit variation. Some have had luck swapping / exchanging for new sets and have not run into clipping after that - so more than likely listening same tracks at the same volume.

May 17, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #9,514 of 12,633
I've started getting this crackling sound on lower frequencies with my Clear recently :-/ I've been some reports of similar issues from other people online. Is this necessarily an issue with drivers? I've already taken steps to get it repaired as they are still covered but warranty but I thought it would be good to check here, just in case.

May 17, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #9,515 of 12,633
I've never heard this crackling sound, but Amir (Audio Science Review) heard the crackling sound during his listening tests: "First and second tracks sounded good and then BAM! The headphone jumped its gap resulting in nasty static/crackling sound. The kind of sound that stops your heart beating for a few seconds! Basically the driver is running out of travel and going outside of the magnetic field and then jumping back suddenly. I hear this routinely in cheap bookshelf speakers when driven by high amplification and deep bass. I could get this to happen even in instrumental/female vocal tracks!"

I have no idea whether this issue occurs only on certain units or when people turn up the volume WAY LOUD.

ASR Review of Focal Clear

May 17, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #9,516 of 12,633
I've started getting this crackling sound on lower frequencies with my Clear recently :-/ I've been some reports of similar issues from other people online. Is this necessarily an issue with drivers? I've already taken steps to get it repaired as they are still covered but warranty but I thought it would be good to check here, just in case.
This matches the driver issues I ran into on my Elears. Focal and my local dealer handled it very smoothly and gracefully and the headphones work perfectly now and sound amazing.

May 17, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #9,517 of 12,633
This matches the driver issues I ran into on my Elears. Focal and my local dealer handled it very smoothly and gracefully and the headphones work perfectly now and sound amazing.
Good to hear! Did they repair or replace your faulty unit? How long did it take?

May 17, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #9,518 of 12,633
Good to hear! Did they repair or replace your faulty unit? How long did it take?
Focal replaced both headphone drivers to ensure matching. I think it took about five weeks, given the pandemic.
I only covered shipping, a nominal $20.

May 19, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #9,519 of 12,633
Have you had clipping problems with your Focal Clear?

Or is it true that it only occurs at extreme volumes?

* I never use EQ
I need to push the volume way beyond comfort level.
Only exception: my AVR has a nasty +10dB hump @50Hz due to a high output impedance. Coupled with movies high dynamic range and quiet dialog levels, I got them to hit Xmax w/o going excessively loud.

That's a thing of the past though, now that I use my ADI-2 for all things headphone.

May 19, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #9,520 of 12,633
Got mine. Just fantastic. Exactly the sound I’ve been looking for for years.

Odd thing though- no matter the listenjng level my ears ache like ive been listening to them incredibly loud. I take them off and get that stuffy ear feeling. None of my other cans do this. Even loud.

its a bit like ANC ear pressure turned up to 11

(other being 580, 6xx, meze 99c, lcd-gx, 95x

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #9,521 of 12,633
Got mine. Just fantastic. Exactly the sound I’ve been looking for for years.

Odd thing though- no matter the listenjng level my ears ache like ive been listening to them incredibly loud. I take them off and get that stuffy ear feeling. None of my other cans do this. Even loud.

(other being 580, 6xx, meze 99c, lcd-gx, 95x
The thing about the clear is they're extremely...well.... clear. Lol. You might find yourself listening louder than your other cans not realizing it because of their transparency.

May 19, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #9,522 of 12,633
The thing about the clear is they're extremely...well.... clear. Lol. You might find yourself listening louder than your other cans not realizing it because of their transparency.
That’s -very- possible. I had that issue when i went from cheap speakers in my old car to a Focal Utopia setup.

May 19, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #9,524 of 12,633
I need to push the volume way beyond comfort level.
Only exception: my AVR has a nasty +10dB hump @50Hz due to a high output impedance. Coupled with movies high dynamic range and quiet dialog levels, I got them to hit Xmax w/o going excessively loud.

That's a thing of the past though, now that I use my ADI-2 for all things headphone.

Do you use the Adi 2's EQ , or do you just run it as a straight Dac-Amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back