Focal Clear headphones
Nov 17, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #616 of 12,550
Let's not forget the elears were $799 in September. $800 compared to $1500 dang $700 difference... I dunno man I honestly don't think so but yes it comes down to taste both are great headphones.... But is it $700....ehhh....

Nov 17, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #617 of 12,550
Let's not forget the elears were $799 in September. $800 compared to $1500 dang $700 difference... I dunno man I honestly don't think so but yes it comes down to taste both are great headphones.... But is it $700....ehhh....

For a newcomer to Focal like me, Clear was the obvious choice, even from a value ($$$) viewpoint... here's my formula:
  • The 2 extra cables (although I won't use one of them) + gorgeous case worth a few hundred dollars alone - I give it a value of $300-$350 the least.
  • Its also fair to add a value for the improved and latest technology (that after the initial negation period will prove its value, call this blind Brand trust :darthsmile:) - I give it a safe 10% value over the previous model, around $100

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #618 of 12,550
For a newcomer to Focal like me, Clear was the obvious choice, even from a value ($$$) viewpoint... here's my formula:
  • The 2 extra cables (although I won't use one of them) + gorgeous case worth a few hundred dollars alone - I give it a value of $300-$350 the least.
  • Its also fair to add a value for the improved and latest technology (that after the initial negation period will prove its value, call this blind Brand trust :darthsmile:) - I give it at safe 10% value over the previous model, around $100
The pads are improved as well and will cost more than replacement Elear pads, but obviously not as much as Utopia pads. You can probably add another $50 there :). The sum of the parts make the headphone.

Nov 17, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #619 of 12,550
  • Its also fair to add a value for the improved and latest technology (that after the initial negation period will prove its value, call this blind Brand trust :darthsmile:) - I give it at safe 10% value over the previous model, around $100

I agree with you and I am in this case :wink: I think it worth the extra money.
But before I have to decide if I should upgrade from my Sennheiser HD600 to the HD800 or this new Clear --'

Nov 17, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #620 of 12,550
I agree with you and I am in this case :wink: I think it worth the extra money.
But before I have to decide if I should upgrade from my Sennheiser HD600 to the HD800 or this new Clear --'
Those 3 are completely different listening experiences, depends on your personal preference really.

Nov 17, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #621 of 12,550
Those 3 are completely different listening experiences, depends on your personal preference really.

For what I have read, all of them are quite neutral (even if the hd800 is a bit brighter than the 2 others).
Because I am listening to almost everything, from classical to heavy metal I would like to find headphone good for all kind of music.

Nov 17, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #622 of 12,550
For what I have read, all of them are quite neutral (even if the hd800 is a bit brighter than the 2 others).
Because I am listening to almost everything, from classical to heavy metal I would like to find headphone good for all kind of music.

I've heard the HD800. Definitely the best option for classical, but overkill for metal and underwhelming for any bass-focused music. The Focal Clear sounds like the better all rounder.

I'm hoping the Clear does very well for fast and layered(?) metal, something like Ne Obliviscaris.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #623 of 12,550
I've heard the HD800. Definitely the best option for classical, but overkill for metal and underwhelming for any bass-focused music. The Focal Clear sounds like the better all rounder.

I'm hoping the Clear does very well for fast and layered(?) metal, something like Ne Obliviscaris.

That is why I am reading all the review I can find to make my choice ^^
Also because the Clear is only 55Ohms, it might better suits my Fiio X7 II. Even if it can power the hd800 if the volume/gain are turned high.
Now I am waiting for the review of www.innerfidelity.com (I just like his reviews :wink: )

Nov 17, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #624 of 12,550
All 3 drivers are different. Utopia Be/Formerless voicecoil
Elear Aluminum/magnesium. Standard copper voicecoil
Clear Aluminum/Magnesium NEW copper voicecoil Technology

Hi everyone,

Indeed all 3 drivers are different but to be more specific:
Utopia Be // Formerless aluminum voicecoil
Elear Aluminum/magnesium // Formerless aluminum voicecoil
Clear Aluminum/Magnesium // Formerless copper voicecoil

Regards,
Marine, Community Manager Focal

Focal Stay updated on Focal at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.focal.com/us/
Nov 17, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #625 of 12,550
That is why I am reading all the review I can find to make my choice ^^
Also because the Clear is only 55Ohms, it might better suits my Fiio X7 II. Even if it can power the hd800 if the volume/gain are turned high.
Now I am waiting for the review of www.innerfidelity.com (I just like his reviews :wink: )

X7 ii drives Clear easily in high gain. plenty of room for volume and very dynamic. I'm referring to AM3A single ended, maybe an upgrade to AM5 would be more confortable but I think even better would be to get a new balanced cable (2.5mm TRRS) for Clear, that is something I'm very curious since Focal inself recommends to use it balanced - maybe cost wyse a better option, the save of not buying AM5 would help the purchase of the new cable.

Anyway, it sounds already great single ended with AM3A

My 2 cents

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #626 of 12,550
Hi everyone,

Indeed all 3 drivers are different but to be more specific:
Utopia Be // Formerless aluminum voicecoil
Elear Aluminum/magnesium // Formerless aluminum voicecoil
Clear Aluminum/Magnesium // Formerless copper voicecoil

Regards,
Marine, Community Manager Focal
Thank you for the clarification Marine, and the new CLEAR is terrific. I love it.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #627 of 12,550
X7 ii drives Clear easily in high gain. plenty of room for volume and very dynamic. I'm referring to AM3A single ended, maybe an upgrade to AM5 would be more confortable but I think even better would be to get a new balanced cable (2.5mm TRRS) for Clear, that is something I'm very curious since Focal inself recommends to use it balanced - maybe cost wyse a better option, the save of not buying AM5 would help the purchase of the new cable.

Anyway, it sounds already great single ended with AM3A

My 2 cents
Based on my experience, it would be better buying AM5 instead of balanced cables. X7mk2/AM5 combo easily rivals against SP1000Cu. Also you will get the power to drive full size cans like HE1kv2 and HD800S.

Nov 17, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #628 of 12,550
Currently burning in my Clear's--about 38 hours so far. I wasn't going to listen to them until at least 50 hours, but I broke down a couple of hours ago.

I already own the Utopia and the Elear, and can say that these are definitely different than both. I won't bother with comparisons since my ears are different than yours, but will say that I am happy and won't be getting rid of the other two since they are all very different sounding. Utopia is still the best by a wide margin in terms of sound and comfort. The Clear will be used in my secondary listening location (living room) and the Elear will now travel with me when I'm on the road for work.

If you're on the fence, I'd say find a way to listen to them. Try to focus less on a comparison against other cans and more on whether you like the way THEY sound. I think we spend WAY too much time with comparisons in this hobby and not enough time just listening and enjoying what we hear.

Nov 17, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #629 of 12,550
Currently burning in my Clear's--about 38 hours so far. I wasn't going to listen to them until at least 50 hours, but I broke down a couple of hours ago.

I already own the Utopia and the Elear, and can say that these are definitely different than both. I won't bother with comparisons since my ears are different than yours, but will say that I am happy and won't be getting rid of the other two since they are all very different sounding. Utopia is still the best by a wide margin in terms of sound and comfort. The Clear will be used in my secondary listening location (living room) and the Elear will now travel with me when I'm on the road for work.

If you're on the fence, I'd say find a way to listen to them. Try to focus less on a comparison against other cans and more on whether you like the way THEY sound. I think we spend WAY too much time with comparisons in this hobby and not enough time just listening and enjoying what we hear.

People like comparisons, especially in reviews, since it can be really helpful when deciding on a new set that you can't audition first. Plus, if you don't plan on (or want to) own multiple pairs comparisons are the best way to decide on the set for you.

Nov 17, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #630 of 12,550
Based on my experience, it would be better buying AM5 instead of balanced cables. X7mk2/AM5 combo easily rivals against SP1000Cu. Also you will get the power to drive full size cans like HE1kv2 and HD800S.

Thanks for feedback! Maybe I get a good deal on AM5, I think it worths although OTG I'll use more often my Angie II than Clear ... I suppose... :thinking: ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back