Focal Clear headphones
Nov 17, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #631 of 12,543
I've heard the HD800. Definitely the best option for classical, but overkill for metal and underwhelming for any bass-focused music. The Focal Clear sounds like the better all rounder.

I'm hoping the Clear does very well for fast and layered(?) metal, something like Ne Obliviscaris.
Hey I am listening to Ne Oblivicaris per your request with the Clears on. You said that the HD800 was "overkill" for metal and underwhelming for bass focused music. I am guessing that you wanted more punch with the bass from the HD800? What did you mean by "overkill" so I could try to help you out with this.

Listening to "Libera pt 1. Saturne spheres" by Ne Oblivicaris its crazy how good the Utopia is with the kick drums... I am A/Bing them with the Clear and this is one easy way to hear what you are paying the difference for. The speed of the Utopia is just silly good.

Ok- after A/Bing the Clear with the Elear on a really fast section of "Libera pt 1. Saturne spheres" (at 4:30 to be exact) I feel the Clear has slightly better separation. I don't know if its because it "just does" or because the Elear's bass bleeds just a little bit more therefore the separation is more difficult to establish.

By the way I am not a metal head by any account (nor do I ,like screaming ha), but I think people should listen to that song starting at 5:05 to about 7:00 minutes in. Simply gorgeous instrumentation!

Nov 17, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #632 of 12,543
Currently burning in my Clear's--about 38 hours so far. I wasn't going to listen to them until at least 50 hours, but I broke down a couple of hours ago.

I already own the Utopia and the Elear, and can say that these are definitely different than both. I won't bother with comparisons since my ears are different than yours, but will say that I am happy and won't be getting rid of the other two since they are all very different sounding. Utopia is still the best by a wide margin in terms of sound and comfort. The Clear will be used in my secondary listening location (living room) and the Elear will now travel with me when I'm on the road for work.

If you're on the fence, I'd say find a way to listen to them. Try to focus less on a comparison against other cans and more on whether you like the way THEY sound. I think we spend WAY too much time with comparisons in this hobby and not enough time just listening and enjoying what we hear.

If we don't compare then all these threads are dead.

Nov 17, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #633 of 12,543
So I think I am going to take the second Clear single ended cable and put it on the Elear demo we have here (that or the balances hmmm)REALLY coming in handy now. Glad they kept the connectors the same as the Elear...
711C83A5-5AE4-4F3B-8800-1C3F1F21830E.jpeg
I’m tired of looking like this!!!!
9EFABE42-7154-4297-B5A5-E89021B0E0CC.gif

Nov 17, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #634 of 12,543
Hey I am listening to Ne Oblivicaris per your request with the Clears on. You said that the HD800 was "overkill" for metal and underwhelming for bass focused music. I am guessing that you wanted more punch with the bass from the HD800? What did you mean by "overkill" so I could try to help you out with this.

Listening to "Libera pt 1. Saturne spheres" by Ne Oblivicaris its crazy how good the Utopia is with the kick drums... I am A/Bing them with the Clear and this is one easy way to hear what you are paying the difference for. The speed of the Utopia is just silly good.

Ok- after A/Bing the Clear with the Elear on a really fast section of "Libera pt 1. Saturne spheres" (at 4:30 to be exact) I feel the Clear has slightly better separation. I don't know if its because it "just does" or because the Elear's bass bleeds just a little bit more therefore the separation is more difficult to establish.

By the way I am not a metal head by any account (nor do I ,like screaming ha), but I think people should listen to that song starting at 5:05 to about 7:00 minutes in. Simply gorgeous instrumentation!

Thanks for the impressions! Much appreciated!

By overkill, I just mean how harsh it sounds with certain metal recordings through the already bright HD800 (especially if we are talking about Black Metal). And you are right, more punch from the bass is what I expect. I love bass. Your comment on the speed of the Utopia has me really curious, but it's way out of budget unfortunately! :dizzy_face:

Ne Obliviscaris is really great. From that album, Eyrie is possibly my favorite song. I'm listening to it again now lol :beyersmile:

Nov 17, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #635 of 12,543
So I think I am going to take the second Clear single ended cable and put it on the Elear demo we have here (that or the balances hmmm)REALLY coming in handy now. Glad they kept the connectors the same as the Elear...

I’m tired of looking like this!!!!

Do you feel like just headphone alone nothing else cable case ect. Do you think that the clear is worth the extra cash over the elear is it really a $500 better sound in your honest opinion?

Nov 17, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #636 of 12,543
Do you feel like just headphone alone nothing else cable case ect. Do you think that the clear is worth the extra cash over the elear is it really a $500 better sound in your honest opinion?
The Clear sounds way better to me, it's more comfortable and comes with awesome accessories. You just can't beat this deal for $1,500.00

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #637 of 12,543
Hi everyone,

Indeed all 3 drivers are different but to be more specific:
Utopia Be // Formerless aluminum voicecoil
Elear Aluminum/magnesium // Formerless aluminum voicecoil
Clear Aluminum/Magnesium // Formerless copper voicecoil

Regards,
Marine, Community Manager Focal
Looking forward to the Clutopia! :)
Copper voicecoil... or silver? :-D

Nov 17, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #638 of 12,543
Currently burning in my Clear's--about 38 hours so far. I wasn't going to listen to them until at least 50 hours, but I broke down a couple of hours ago.

I already own the Utopia and the Elear, and can say that these are definitely different than both. I won't bother with comparisons since my ears are different than yours, but will say that I am happy and won't be getting rid of the other two since they are all very different sounding. Utopia is still the best by a wide margin in terms of sound and comfort. The Clear will be used in my secondary listening location (living room) and the Elear will now travel with me when I'm on the road for work.

If you're on the fence, I'd say find a way to listen to them. Try to focus less on a comparison against other cans and more on whether you like the way THEY sound. I think we spend WAY too much time with comparisons in this hobby and not enough time just listening and enjoying what we hear.

You have a point about everyone having different ears. But I think it's OK to compare these since they are the same manufacturer and each is a progression.

From what I'm reading, Clear is indeed the best compromise between the three if you can only own one. They are definitely on my list for a next year buy. The Utopia can be found used for less than $3K and may be my final step in headphone land if I don't try out Audeze also.

BTW, I've been tempted to travel with the Elear too because they don't leak sound like my other open pair. You can hear if you get close and the volume is higher, but my other pair can double as a set of speakers when I step away from them, LOL! Just need to invest in the case.

Nov 17, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #639 of 12,543
You have a point about everyone having different ears. But I think it's OK to compare these since they are the same manufacturer and each is a progression.

From what I'm reading, Clear is indeed the best compromise between the three if you can only own one. They are definitely on my list for a next year buy. The Utopia can be found used for less than $3K and may be my final step in headphone land if I don't try out Audeze also.

BTW, I've been tempted to travel with the Elear too because they don't leak sound like my other open pair. You can hear if you get close and the volume is higher, but my other pair can double as a set of speakers when I step away from them, LOL! Just need to invest in the case.
(In bold @Rchandra)

I think that the Elear is no slouch... I find it very engaging and excellent detail retrieval, and also punchy!

I personally (like @ILLMATIC9108 was saying ) think that the Clear with its accessories/Sound is really really hard to beat for the price.

BUT I am hardpressed to say buy it and keep the Elear as well... I would say it would be worth selling the Elear and getting the Clear though.

With that recommendation you should STIll demo it to make sure I am hearing what your hearing.

Does that make sense?

Nov 17, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #640 of 12,543
Anyone have comments relative to the new Aeon Flow Open?

I'm undecided between AFO, HD800, and Clear. I listen mostly to classical and solo acoustic instrumentals, some jazz/rock/pop/country. My priorities are tonal accuracy, balance, and stage. Bass is a plus for occasional rock/pop/country. I really don't want recessed mid to treble. Good comments on the bass and balance seem to stand out for Clear but I don't think I've heard much about the character of mids/treble. I'm looking forward to reading more impressions. Clear looks very tempting :)

Nov 17, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #641 of 12,543
Anyone have comments relative to the new Aeon Flow Open?

I'm undecided between AFO, HD800, and Clear. I listen mostly to classical and solo acoustic instrumentals, some jazz/rock/pop/country. My priorities are tonal accuracy, balance, and stage. Bass is a plus for occasional rock/pop/country. I really don't want recessed mid to treble. Good comments on the bass and balance seem to stand out for Clear but I don't think I've heard much about the character of mids/treble. I'm looking forward to reading more impressions. Clear looks very tempting :)

I’m in the process of writing a ‘first impressions’ on the Clears and it involves comparing it with the AFO. Can you give me the names of a few songs that you usually listen to? I could listen to them on each and tell you how they sound ( to my ears of course ). I unfortunately only not have the HD800 but when I briefly auditioned it at Source AV, I could tell it was not for me.

Nov 17, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #642 of 12,543
I’m in the process of writing a ‘first impressions’ on the Clears and it involves comparing it with the AFO. Can you give me the names of a few songs that you usually listen to? I could listen to them on each and tell you how they sound ( to my ears of course ). I unfortunately only not have the HD800 but when I briefly auditioned it at Source AV, I could tell it was not for me.

Thanks @jinrawke !!! Some samples that I usually use listed below. I know it could be difficult when you are not familiar with the pieces. Nevertheless, I appreciate any impressions!

Rampal and Kudo
https://listen.tidal.com/album/3003043
Tracks 4, 5, 6. Listening for instrument tones and space among two flutes and orchestral sections.

Martha Argerich
https://listen.tidal.com/album/38981639
Tracks 13-15. Listening for piano (dynamics, complex passages) together with percussive elements

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
https://listen.tidal.com/album/59853985
Listening for vocal and variety of instruments (uke, etc)

Michael Hedges
https://listen.tidal.com/album/661548
Tracks 5 (balance and tone between bass and guitar), 6 (raw acoustic guitar)

Nov 17, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #643 of 12,543
(In bold @Rchandra)

I think that the Elear is no slouch... I find it very engaging and excellent detail retrieval, and also punchy!

I personally (like @ILLMATIC9108 was saying ) think that the Clear with its accessories/Sound is really really hard to beat for the price.

BUT I am hardpressed to say buy it and keep the Elear as well... I would say it would be worth selling the Elear and getting the Clear though.

With that recommendation you should STIll demo it to make sure I am hearing what your hearing.

Does that make sense?

In other words if you're a elear owner it may not really be the total upgrade in terms of sound quality. Bro seriously you're awesome. My next audiophile headphone purchase is gonna be from your store... I hope sennheiser gets a closed back hd800S soon because that will definitely be my next top of the line headphone purchase when that happens. Thanks a ton man you're never rude, you answer questions without the sarcasm. I will definitely definitely purchase that next flagship from you.

Nov 17, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #644 of 12,543

looking forward to this...

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #645 of 12,543
Is the connector on the Clear the same as it is on the Utopia?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back