Focal Clear headphones
Nov 16, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #601 of 12,550
Yes, I'm not that familiar with the sound on any of those you mentioned. I'm also in the same boat on upgrading to the Utopia, I have a personal problem with wanting the best available. Don't get me wrong I love the sound of the Clear, but I don't want to miss out on anything with the Utopia.

That is an excellent call. There is a reason why Utopia is the flagship of the company :)

Nov 16, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #602 of 12,550
Yes, I'm not that familiar with the sound on any of those you mentioned. I'm also in the same boat on upgrading to the Utopia, I have a personal problem with wanting the best available. Don't get me wrong I love the sound of the Clear, but I don't want to miss out on anything with the Utopia.

The best is not Utopia, the best is always what's coming after ... so its only reachable in a small window of time. :zap::zap::zap:

Nov 16, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #604 of 12,550
I was listening to some Amy Winehouse 24bit last night and it sounded incredible on the CLEARs. I auditioned her tracks to a few friends and they were blown away by the clarity. These are by no means audiophiles, but the average listener was thoroughly impressed.

Nov 16, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #605 of 12,550

its nice to hear the innovative progression in terms of headphone suspension design. That is why Focal U2op1@ on your head is like

Ferrari-F40-Spitting-Fire-72754.gif

Nov 16, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #606 of 12,550
its nice to hear the innovative progression in terms of headphone suspension design. That is why Focal U2op1@ on your head is like

Ferrari-F40-Spitting-Fire-72754.gif
Yes, SHAMuuu, something like that :wink: lol

Nov 16, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #607 of 12,550
from http://country.focal.com/get.php/media/homes/casques/Whitepaper_Headphones_PC1281.pdf

dinotech.jpg

vs

newtech.png

I say if a headphone is over $999 (2017 and onwards), not talking about past classics. They better have drivers look like the new tech and not dino tech.

Thumbs up to Focal :D stating their specs like OGs, and no fluffy jiggly puff words for dino tech covered in sprinkles and sparkles :D If it is, should be less than $999. Focal defo pumped some soul into their work, all in house, from their Aliens with superior Intellectual property. Focal got it on lockdown.

@ILLMATIC9108 , Miss Amy Winehouse, glad its blowing minds (which it should when designed properly), to your friends.

As always YMMV, IMHO, :)

Nov 16, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #608 of 12,550
With the release of the clears. I wonder if the utopia is due for a upgrade later next year!? I'll be patient till then. And enjoy the elears for the time being. I heard the clears and they are indeed a better sound then the elear but for someone like me who paid the $1000 last year I can't justify spending the $1500 for the clears it's not a $500 better sound. But man I'm not gonna lie the case and the cables and that silver sure do look sweet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a utopia upgrade.

Nov 16, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #609 of 12,550
With the release of the clears. I wonder if the utopia is due for a upgrade later next year!? I'll be patient till then. And enjoy the elears for the time being. I heard the clears and they are indeed a better sound then the elear but for someone like me who paid the $1000 last year I can't justify spending the $1500 for the clears it's not a $500 better sound. But man I'm not gonna lie the case and the cables and that silver sure do look sweet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a utopia upgrade.
Look at this beauty lol :)
20171116_181700.jpg

Nov 16, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #611 of 12,550
Okay, ordered my Clears today, my first venture into Focal, more to come.

Nov 16, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #612 of 12,550
^^^ I guess I am creating Focalstein monster with these swaps.

Anyway, I was very curious how similarly measuring Clear and Elear can sound so different and what contributes to a $400 sonic difference...

My guess is that most of the extra price is because of the included cables and case, although I'm sure some of it is going to recoup R+D cost and possibly material since the voicecoil is copper rather than aluminum (although, that's a pretty tiny amount of copper).

Nov 16, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #613 of 12,550
My guess is that most of the extra price is because of the included cables and case, although I'm sure some of it is going to recoup R+D cost and possibly material since the voicecoil is copper rather than aluminum (although, that's a pretty tiny amount of copper).

Agree, the extra cables and a case plus larger and heavier shipping box would make for the retail price difference. What we have left are slightly different drivers and new ear pads. As Nomax mentioned few pages earlier, Clear pads are different from Utopia's and surely different from Elear’s. The new pads seem deeper and firmer comparing to Elear’s and as a result it felt like there was an extra space between ears and drivers. Not that Elear pads are bad; they are just not as deep and much softer. Still, Clear and Elear with the same cable and grey pads sound different…

Both HPs are excellent, one just needs to pickup his flavour based on a system and listening preferences.

In whole fairness to Focal and prospective Clear buyers, I will post my sonic impressions of pad swapping on Elear thread instead.

Nov 17, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #614 of 12,550
great to hear some impressions starting to pop up my clears will be here Monday and so will my brand new replacement pair of utopias, I can't wait to finally have headphones again after almost 3 weeks of bose earbuds and my fostex t50 rp's hahaha.

Now just for some closed backs and I'm done... for now :) pretty sure I will get the new HD820's when they drop for the closed backs next year.

Nov 17, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #615 of 12,550
If you look at focal’s speakes, both home and car. Their flagships don’t change frequently like some other brands

It’s typically an excellent product that remains for quite some time

We now have a few models rolling out for their headphones simply cos their headphone line is relatively new. Rather, their serious headphone line is relatively new

Users who are viewing this thread

Back