Focal Clear headphones
Jun 2, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #3,766 of 12,550
Btw about headphone stands: With the Elear I’ve been using one with a relatively small surface area that the headband rests on (maybe like 5cm). Near the end, the Elear’s headband padding got a little worn in the middle where it had been resting on the stand...
Anyone got a headphone stand recommendation that’ll distribute the pressure more evenly over the whole headband? Looking at something like the Omega stands, but something that doesn’t touch the earpads is preferable.

I considered this problem recently and I ended up buying some hangers from home depot that I am going to use to wall mount my headphones.
The hangers have two prongs that will put the pressure on the sides of the band where it won't be touching the head, so no fear of premature headband compression in the middle area!

9937942_l.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #3,767 of 12,550
Btw about headphone stands: With the Elear I’ve been using one with a relatively small surface area that the headband rests on (maybe like 5cm). Near the end, the Elear’s headband padding got a little worn in the middle where it had been resting on the stand...
Anyone got a headphone stand recommendation that’ll distribute the pressure more evenly over the whole headband? Looking at something like the Omega stands, but something that doesn’t touch the earpads is preferable.

Couldn't be happier with the AQ Perch. Best stand I owned so far. Fits most headphones.

+1 For the AQ Perch. I got tired of the cables always being too close to the base of the stand I had, plus it looks pretty nice.

IMG_20180519_112410.jpg

Jun 2, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #3,769 of 12,550
My current collection. They are neutral in their own way, but they sound VERY different from each other.

In my experience, the differences in headphones will be most apparent when comparing them back to back. I think our ears/brains tend to adapt to the sound of headphones so that they tend to sound more neutral/'correct' to us as we get used to them, since we have an idea of what 'correct' sound is supposed to be from our experience of real-world sounds. I suspect that the often reported burn-in is mostly due to that adaptation, rather than actual changes in the equipment.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #3,771 of 12,550
How does the AFO and Clear compare?

I think Tyll's reviews and comparisons between them (including lcd2c and sundara) are quite accurate. AFO is less neutral than Clear because there is laid-back presence region in mid-range. AFO sounds thick, warm and bassy. AFO has more forward and intimate (particularly female) vocals. Clear is more resolving and open sounding.
Female vocals are quite different between them. They are more recessed in Clear, but still super transparent and resolving. In AFO, they are more forward and thicker, but at the same time, very articulate and musical. Clear sounds little bit sharp sometimes by comparison.

Overall, I think Clear is truly a reference grade headphone. AFO is very musical and I really enjoy female vocals on them. But I hope Dan eliminates laid-back presence region on AFO making it more neutral in the next iteration. But then it might be too good at $800..

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #3,772 of 12,550
How does the AFO and Clear compare?
I own both too at the moment. While both are great headphones, to my ears they are not in the same league. Clear is more resolving, a higher quality sound overall. AFO is nice too but less balanced and to my ears a little bit lean tbh. Both are great for their price though.

Jun 3, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #3,773 of 12,550
In my experience the AFO gets strength of sound quite right while I found the Clear excessive. You'll get nice, satisfying impact out of sound across the board with the AFO whereas the Clear takes it to another level, which you may or may not like. Otherwise the Clear is superior. Not quite sure what resolving means but higher quality sound overall was exactly my impression when comparing the two directly. Unfortunately the heightened or sharp quality of the Clear was a deal-breaker for me. There's also no way female vocals are better on the AFO than the Clear. I was underwhelmed by female vocals on the AFO coming from a Hifiman Edition X v2 and found little issue with them on the Clear. Neither headphone has an impressive soundstage or spacious separation. If you can bear the sound of the Clear and money is no issue get the Clear, if not you'd have to settle for the AFO, which more or less nails strength of sound but while sounding good doesn't sound great. Depending on what you're looking for the AFO can actually be a very satisfying headphone. I'll be trying an LCD-X tomorrow which may be a good alternative as well.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #3,776 of 12,550
I know you're asking about the LCD 3 but I've had the lcd2 Fazor for over a year and I auditioned the Clears for 10 days. If the 3 is remotely close to the 2F, I concur with makne. It's no contest. I purchased the Clears and have had them for a few weeks now. They make the LCD 2F sound so veiled and boring in comparison. Plus, the LCD 2F is ridiculously uncomfortable for me.

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #3,778 of 12,550
When I listen to classical, jazz, or acoustic, the Clears are end game for me.
But..........
When I have a bit of a buzz on and want to blast electronic drum and bass, I plug in my Modern Retro for $24. Lol.
The bass rattles my skull.

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #3,779 of 12,550
Own the Clears. A rental pair of lcd3 will be here Tuesday. Anyone appreciate the lcd3?

The LCD-3 has a quite a different sound from the Elear and Utopia, and therefore I assume also the Clear (I'm trying the Clear next week). LCD-3 has weightier bass that you can feel (not just hear), a touch less mids, slightly smoother sound overall, and less detail and clarity. I think the LCD-3 and Focals complement each other well, and I wouldn't say that I either is simply better across the board for all genres, tracks, and listeners.

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #3,780 of 12,550
Gotcha, that’s why I’m renting the lcd3. Sometimes the Clears don’t have the blooming subwoofer bass I desire with some music.
if it’s bass you’re after, Audeze is definitely the right brand! The LCD-3 has the same deep impactful bass like the rest of the LCD-series (and their other products really), and also a slightly enhanced treble to my ears, making it kinda V-shaped. Personally I prefer the more neutral, balanced LCD-X which also has the same deep powerful bass, but I know a lot of people who like the 3 better

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back