Focal Clear headphones
May 27, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #3,736 of 12,550
The Clear are however more forward than HD800, with a smaller soundstage. For me, these 2 characteristics make them wonderful to listen at low volume.
This is an interesting point, now that I think about it it’s true, I have never enjoyed music at lower levels like with the Clear (and Utopia for that matter)

This is true for me as well. Vocals in hd800s are quite recessed. I always turned up the volume to listen to vocals which was damaging to my ears i. I don't need to do that with Clear despite it being slightly recessed compared to ether c flow.
Listening volume for me was 95+db for hd800s, 90-95 for Clear, 88-93 for ether c flow.

May 27, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #3,737 of 12,550
This is an interesting point, now that I think about it it’s true, I have never enjoyed music at lower levels like with the Clear (and Utopia for that matter)
Also, the bass is very audible and clear. Unless I EQ the HD800, at low volume, the low end would be way tapered off and distant sounding cuz of the massive soundstage.

Regardless, I still love my HD800 though. They're not going anywhere. I listen to them when I feel angry and aggressive. :L3000:

Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #3,738 of 12,550
With the right tracks, I find the clarity and detail of the Utopia to be enticing and somewhat addictive, but there's a touch too much brightness which gives vocals and instruments an 'edge' which sounds somewhat unnatural; With other tracks, I find the Utopia much too bright and thin sounding, especially as volume level increases beyond a moderate level.
So is it the really the headphones then? It sound more like the tracks themselves and/or your upstream gear.

May 27, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #3,739 of 12,550
So is it the really the headphones then? It sound more like the tracks themselves and/or your upstream gear.

I've been doing some reading, and apparently others have a similar impression of the Utopia. But no doubt the tracks are a factor, and my ears/brain too. As a listen to it more and get used to the sound, the brightness is becoming less of an issue - and I'm becoming increasingly tempted to buy them. But definitely need to try the Clear first.

Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #3,740 of 12,550
I've been doing some reading, and apparently others have a similar impression of the Utopia. But no doubt the tracks are a factor, and my ears/brain too. As a listen to it more and get used to the sound, the brightness is becoming less of an issue - and I'm becoming increasingly tempted to try them. But definitely need to try the Clear first.
I've borrowed the Utopia 2x before buying them. First time there was definitely something wrong with them (won't get into that) and (little did I know this) until I borrowed them the second time, then decided to buy them not too long after. Never once did I find the Utopia or the Clear to be sibilant, bright or harsh in any way.

May 27, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #3,741 of 12,550
i suspect that coming from audeze to the utopia is also a factor. i've auditioned a few lcd models over the years and they have a more relaxed, darker presentation from memory.

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 5:34 AM Post #3,742 of 12,550
I was wondering why the huge price difference in the USA/UK. ($1500=£1125 vs. £1399=$1864) Especially when Focal is a European company, it is usually the other way around...

Also, do you think the Clear's second hand price will drop similarly to the Elear's? While the Elear is still around £800 new, you can easily pick up a pair under £500 these days. I wonder if the used Clear prices will drop below £1000 long term. (I have already seen one sold on the Bay for £1000, but most of them is still around £1200.)

May 28, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #3,743 of 12,550
I was wondering why the huge price difference in the USA/UK. ($1500=£1125 vs. £1399=$1864) Especially when Focal is a European company, it is usually the other way around...

Also, do you think the Clear's second hand price will drop similarly to the Elear's? While the Elear is still around £800 new, you can easily pick up a pair under £500 these days. I wonder if the used Clear prices will drop below £1000 long term. (I have already seen one sold on the Bay for £1000, but most of them is still around £1200.)
VAT 21%

May 28, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #3,744 of 12,550

Its very common for manufacturers on either side of the atlantic (US/Europe) to set the Euro = Dollar as the MSRP - invariably, european customers are impaired negatively on this policy, whatever is the country of origin of the goods. British Pound usually pairs with Euro but in the last 2 years I notice an "extra" charge in special for european products, so that I stopped buying goods on amazon.co.uk and moved to amazon.de...

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #3,745 of 12,550
I asked them how to clean the pads and headband about 3 weeks ago already. Not even a courtesy reply. Audeze and Dekoni reply within a day. Audio-Gd same day. Love my Elear but Focal service is meh.

Dear gLer,

I am sorry you didn't get any answer...
Please note that if you contact us via our website on our 'Support' or 'After-Sales Service' contact form, most of the time requests are automatically forwarded to the local distributor (according to the country your entered) and not to the HQ in France. Indeed, each distributor is in charge of local customer service.

Regarding your request, earpads can be hand cleaned with soap and water.

Best regards,
Marine, Community Manager Focal

Focal Stay updated on Focal at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.focal.com/us/
May 28, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #3,746 of 12,550
Dear gLer,

Please note that if you contact us via our website on our 'Support' or 'After-Sales Service' contact form, most of the time requests are automatically forwarded to the local distributor (according to the country your entered) and not to the HQ in France. Indeed, each distributor is in charge of local customer service.

Best regards,
Dear Marine,
I am exactly in the same situation of gLer, except my issues were with a pair of Utopia.
Allow me to step in and tell you that the fact that messages from the site are automatically directed to local distributors and not to HQ is not an explanation for a delay in responding.
The way you are internally organised to provide Customer Care is none of the customer's concern and should not be used to explain a lesser level of service. It simply has nothing to do with it.
I appreciate you posting on this thread and after over 2 weeks I hope you can help me get an answer to my multiple unanswered enquiries.
Thanks.

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #3,747 of 12,550
Dear gLer,

Best regards,
Hi Marine, that’s all I needed to know, thank you. Also in my case there are NO Focal dealers in South Africa as far as I’m aware, so no idea where my query went...

May 28, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #3,748 of 12,550
Dear Marine,
I am exactly in the same situation of gLer, except my issues were with a pair of Utopia.
Allow me to step in and tell you that the fact that messages from the site are automatically directed to local distributors is not an explanation of a delay in responding.
How you are internally organised to provide Customer Care is none of the customer's concern and should not be used to explain a lesser level of service. It simply has nothing to do with it.
I appreciate you posting on this thread and after over 2 weeks I hope you can help me get an answer to my multiple unanswered enquiries.
Thanks.

We do encourage our distributor to answer as quickly as possible. Not getting an answer is absolutely not acceptable and I am really sorry about that, but unfortunately, we do not have a daily overview of all the requests that our distributors receive. Which is why we are also on forums, for example. And do not hesite to conctact me via DM if you need anything.
Don't worry, all your feedbacks will be forwarded to our Sales Team and distributors.

Could you please send me all your requests via DM so that I can answer properly?

Many thanks,

May 28, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #3,749 of 12,550
Hi Marine, that’s all I needed to know, thank you. Also in my case there are NO Focal dealers in South Africa as far as I’m aware, so no idea where my query went...

Dear gLer,
According to our Store Locator, the official distributor is based in Cape Town, Eastern Acoustics. Follow this link to have their contact details: https://store.focal.com/en/store-locator#!country=ZA&category=6

Regards,

May 28, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #3,750 of 12,550
we do not have a daily overview of all the requests that our distributors receive
Hi Marine, this is an easy fix if you ask your IT. Or change distributors which are not doing their job.
In my case for example the question was addressed to you because I had already contacted your distributor without solving the issue.

But thank you for the offer and I will definitely send you a PM with my issue. Much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back