Focal Clear headphones
May 28, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #3,751 of 12,550
FYI, I've been using an Alcantara cleaner to clean the earpads and headrest. It works really well. However, it is mildly scented. But that goes away after a few days.
image.JPG

May 29, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #3,753 of 12,550
I've been doing some reading, and apparently others have a similar impression of the Utopia. But no doubt the tracks are a factor, and my ears/brain too. As a listen to it more and get used to the sound, the brightness is becoming less of an issue - and I'm becoming increasingly tempted to buy them. But definitely need to try the Clear first.
I would try to get your hands on both. Most people I have found who like the Clear, listen to the Utopia and then NEED the Utopia... but the Clear has a lot to offer.

They just don’t have the extreme speed that the Utopia has, and this to me is why Utopia is still the tops

May 29, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #3,754 of 12,550
69DD774F-5879-4E58-A72F-29C681215FD5.jpeg D79E8896-3AEB-4289-B634-2D497460A945.jpeg 7D093CF3-7713-4439-98C5-86CCAE7C2FDE.jpeg Part of the Clear club now :D

Having owned the Elear for a good while and using Sonarworks with them, this is my impression:
The Clear may be a few % more resolved/clear and dynamic than my Sonarwork’ed Elear was. Maybe it’s because of the digital preamp (-5,4dB) that sonarworks used for their eq software, «strangling» the Elear’s dynamics a bit when eq’d. Could also be that the tuning is slightly different (too little for me to tell what’s happening though), or simply that my mind is playing tricks on me because I just bought the Clear. It’s difficult to test as I never got the chance to try the Clear and the eq’d Elear side by side.

Anyway, the Elear eq’d and Clear sound really close to my ears. Despite that, I’ve been drooling on the Clears lately, because my listening habits have changed and I no longer spend most of my listening time on my pc (which is necessary to use sonarworks). So, I made the jump!
Also spent yesterday testing the Clear vs HD800S and HEX v2. This was before purchase, so you know I definitely preferred the Clear :wink:

Attachments

• D4EE473D-63DF-4742-81A8-BF96DC494E8E.jpeg
    D4EE473D-63DF-4742-81A8-BF96DC494E8E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
May 29, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #3,755 of 12,550
Part of the Clear club now :D

Having owned the Elear for a good while and using Sonarworks with them, this is my impression:
The Clear may be a few % more resolved/clear and dynamic than my Sonarwork’ed Elear was. Maybe it’s because of the digital preamp (-5,4dB) that sonarworks used for their eq software, «strangling» the Elear’s dynamics a bit when eq’d. Could also be that the tuning is slightly different (too little for me to tell what’s happening though), or simply that my mind is playing tricks on me because I just bought the Clear. It’s difficult to test as I never got the chance to try the Clear and the eq’d Elear side by side.

Anyway, the Elear eq’d and Clear sound really close to my ears. Despite that, I’ve been drooling on the Clears lately, because my listening habits have changed and I no longer spend most of my listening time on my pc (which is necessary to use sonarworks). So, I made the jump!
Also spent yesterday testing the Clear vs HD800S and HEX v2. This was before purchase, so you know I definitely preferred the Clear :wink:
Hi, grats on the Clear. Curious as to how you'd compare the un-SW Elear to the Clear. I love the punch and dynamism of the Elear and don't hear (or maybe don't mind) the so-called midrange 'suckout'. It actually makes the Elear much less 'shouty' than some other headphones, to my ears (but then I also don't really find a 'neutral' sound very appealing). What made you go for the Clear?

May 29, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #3,756 of 12,550
Hi, grats on the Clear. Curious as to how you'd compare the un-SW Elear to the Clear. I love the punch and dynamism of the Elear and don't hear (or maybe don't mind) the so-called midrange 'suckout'. It actually makes the Elear much less 'shouty' than some other headphones, to my ears (but then I also don't really find a 'neutral' sound very appealing). What made you go for the Clear?
thanks!
Easiest way to try the Clear-ish sound is to try sonarworks with your Elear :p
The difference is mostly a tighter, leaner mid/upper bass, with a more extended subbass, overall the bass feels more audeze-like, deep and solid.
And then the upper midrange is way more aggressive than Elear, it’s not elevated but it’s neutral. More «presence» to vocals and instruments.
The Clear also has a less peaky treble to my ears, I already liked the Elear’s treble a lot but the Clear’s is just a little more smooth/even, bringing a little more clarity and realism to cymbals etc.

In very short, and this is a massive cliché, it sounds like lifting a veil from the music.

May 29, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #3,757 of 12,550
thanks!
Easiest way to try the Clear-ish sound is to try sonarworks with your Elear :p
The difference is mostly a tighter, leaner mid/upper bass, with a more extended subbass, overall the bass feels more audeze-like, deep and solid.
And then the upper midrange is way more aggressive than Elear, it’s not elevated but it’s neutral. More «presence» to vocals and instruments.
The Clear also has a less peaky treble to my ears, I already liked the Elear’s treble a lot but the Clear’s is just a little more smooth/even, bringing a little more clarity and realism to cymbals etc.

In very short, and this is a massive cliché, it sounds like lifting a veil from the music.
Thanks that’s great feedback. I’ll download SW and give it a go!

Jun 1, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #3,758 of 12,550
I couldn't resist and picked up a Focal Clear on a bargain secondhand price. 2 months old, pristine condition. I don't even dare to tell you how much I have paid, but not much more than the price of a new Elear is (at least here in the UK). 2 weeks ago I was more than impressed by the Clear at an audition, but we all know living with a headphone for a couple of weeks is different than enjoying 2 hours at an audition. I can't wait to find out how life with the Clear is. :)

Jun 1, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #3,759 of 12,550
I couldn't resist and picked up a Focal Clear on a bargain secondhand price. 2 months old, pristine condition. I don't even dare to tell you how much I have paid, but not much more than the price of a new Elear is (at least here in the UK). 2 weeks ago I was more than impressed by the Clear at an audition, but we all know living with a headphone for a couple of weeks is different than enjoying 2 hours at an audition. I can't wait to find out how life with the Clear is. :)

I happened on a similar situation, but the guy threw in the headphone stand (which I do not need and was too tempted to sell since they go for $250 new?!) and I already had a headphone case that fit the Clears and really didn't care about having the branded case, so in total I got them at a discounted price was subsidized more when I sold off their prohibitively expensive accessories. I've had them since February and they're the first pair in a long time that hasn't left me listlessly browsing the For Sale section chasing some other type of sound. (Hence why I'm not worried about hanging onto the accessories for re-selling the whole package). I didn't sell the cables though, those things are sexy.

Jun 1, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #3,760 of 12,550
I happened on a similar situation, but the guy threw in the headphone stand (which I do not need and was too tempted to sell since they go for $250 new?!) and I already had a headphone case that fit the Clears and really didn't care about having the branded case, so in total I got them at a discounted price was subsidized more when I sold off their prohibitively expensive accessories. I've had them since February and they're the first pair in a long time that hasn't left me listlessly browsing the For Sale section chasing some other type of sound. (Hence why I'm not worried about hanging onto the accessories for re-selling the whole package). I didn't sell the cables though, those things are sexy.
My first thought at the audition was: 'this is my endgame'. Which we all know doesn't exist, but we also know this feeling. :)
They arrive in 2 days. I can't wait to find out if they are really 'end game' at least for a good while. I was absolutely impressed by the tonality, that sweet smoothness yet exceptional dynamism. My potential worries are: weight on long term listening sessions, bothersome treble after a while, wanting more bass.
I listened to the Clears for a good hour through my Mojo and what I found magical was the 3D space (depth and height, not too much width). Coherence, resolution and a sweet, easy-listening tone. Best headphones I have heard so far, will see if I can live with them.

Jun 1, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #3,761 of 12,550
The thing about their sound is, at least to me, they don’t really have much character other than being very clear and very balanced. Which means that over time, there isn’t any «signature» to grow tired of or get annoyed about. I can’t see myself selling these either.

Was about to get them on a 2nd hand deal aswell but in the end I chose to support the local dealer, it’s thanks to them that I get to audition this kind of gear in the first place.

And regarding the cables, yeah they’re nice, definitely usable but a little stiff imo. I miss the Forza audioworks-cable I used with my elear (sold it together with the Elear). The connectors and y-splitter on the Clear cables are gorgeous though!

Jun 1, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #3,762 of 12,550
The thing about their sound is, at least to me, they don’t really have much character other than being very clear and very balanced. Which means that over time, there isn’t any «signature» to grow tired of or get annoyed about. I can’t see myself selling these either.
This might be the clue why the Clears sound so good to me. There is nothing between you and the music. No headphones, no presentation, no coloration, no 'signature'. Just music.

Jun 1, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #3,763 of 12,550
Btw about headphone stands: With the Elear I’ve been using one with a relatively small surface area that the headband rests on (maybe like 5cm). Near the end, the Elear’s headband padding got a little worn in the middle where it had been resting on the stand...
Anyone got a headphone stand recommendation that’ll distribute the pressure more evenly over the whole headband? Looking at something like the Omega stands, but something that doesn’t touch the earpads is preferable.

Jun 1, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #3,764 of 12,550
Btw about headphone stands: With the Elear I’ve been using one with a relatively small surface area that the headband rests on (maybe like 5cm). Near the end, the Elear’s headband padding got a little worn in the middle where it had been resting on the stand...
Anyone got a headphone stand recommendation that’ll distribute the pressure more evenly over the whole headband? Looking at something like the Omega stands, but something that doesn’t touch the earpads is preferable.
Couldn't be happier with the AQ Perch. Best stand I owned so far. Fits most headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back