Focal Clear headphones
May 27, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #3,721 of 12,550
Remember, Focal makes loudspeakers as well. The number of Focal customers around the world is very high. The larger a company is, the more unlikely it is you'll receive a response. The smaller, "one-man" operations will get back to you ASAP.
It's like if you emailed Sony with a question, would they reply quickly or at all?
Allow me to disagree.
If you grow your sales volumes you should grow your structure as well so to guarantee the level of support your customers deserve.
They sell luxury products so I would expect even better customer service, no matter how many they sell.
Unacceptable!

May 27, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #3,723 of 12,550
Oh, I agree with you doraymon. Every company should reply to questions from their paying customers, especially one charging $4,000 for headphones and $200,000 for loudspeakers.

May 27, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #3,725 of 12,550
Well that's me..focal clear sold, had to part ex them with Hugo 2 to get the chord hugo TT 2,I'm thinking of getting the Sony Z1R next, maybe end of the year, totally different from clear but I want something more laid back not as in my face

May 27, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #3,726 of 12,550
Well that's me..focal clear sold, had to part ex them with Hugo 2 to get the chord hugo TT 2,I'm thinking of getting the Sony Z1R next, maybe end of the year, totally different from clear but I want something more laid back not as in my face

Somehow, my Clear sounds laid-back. I thought it was in-your-face when I heard it three months ago. At that moment, I thought I was sitting in the 5th row in the hall, but at this time, I feel like I am sitting in the 10th row. Did Focal change tuning? Or do I hear music differently this time? Or is my audio memory bad? I don't know.
Anyway, Clear sounds so good. I will do some A/B soon with AFO which I gave to my parents, and make them keep what they prefer and I will keep the other.

May 27, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #3,727 of 12,550
Somehow, my Clear sounds laid-back. I thought it was in-your-face when I heard it three months ago. At that moment, I thought I was sitting in the 5th row in the hall, but at this time, I feel like I am sitting in the 10th row. Did Focal change tuning? Or do I hear music differently this time? Or is my audio memory bad? I don't know.
Anyway, Clear sounds so good. I will do some A/B soon with AFO which I gave to my parents, and make them keep what they prefer and I will keep the other.
Trust me when I say this I loved the focal clear miss them already but I'm just after a different sound,owned the focal utopia but it wasn't for me

May 27, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #3,728 of 12,550
Trust me when I say this I loved the focal clear miss them already but I'm just after a different sound,owned the focal utopia but it wasn't for me

Was Utopia too much in-your-face? I was thinking about buying one. But I like spaciousness and airy feelings of Clear.

May 27, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #3,730 of 12,550
I'm a fan of the Audeze sound (hence owning the LCD-3 and LCD-i4), and interested in complementing them with a different sound.

Considering all of the rave reviews for the Utopia, I decided to borrow a pair from my local shop and try them this weekend. With the right tracks, I find the clarity and detail of the Utopia to be enticing and somewhat addictive, but there's a touch too much brightness which gives vocals and instruments an 'edge' which sounds somewhat unnatural; I'm not finding it fatiguing yet, but I wonder if it would be fatiguing with more time. With other tracks, I find the Utopia much too bright and thin sounding, especially as volume level increases beyond a moderate level. So, to my ears, while the Utopia is seductively superb with some music, I find that it lacks versatility and is overpriced at $4K.

That got me thinking that maybe the Clear might be a better choice, but I wonder if it gives up too much of the Utopia's stellar detail. I'd appreciate opinions from people who've listened extensively to both the Utopia and Clear.

May 27, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #3,731 of 12,550
I auditioned the Focal Cear the other day and initially was blown away by it's forward, exciting presentation. However, with certain tracks and over time I found it too etched / bright and even a bit "tizzy." Overall Clear did impress me and may the right choice for many, but I too felt it might be fatiguing esp. as my current daily driver is a ZMF Ori, very musical but more laid back. So while I want a open-back with good detail retrieval to complement the closed-back Ori, I'm leaning more to the ZMF Auteur but don't have access to audition one so haven't finalized a decision yet.

May 27, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #3,732 of 12,550
Coming from HD800/HE-6, I am having a hard time seeing why some people think the Clear are edgy, bright, and tizzy. We do hear very differently indeed.
So far, it seems that people, who drive the Clear with SS amps, have somewhat similar impressions.
On my tube amp, there're no issues in the high. The Clear are however more forward than HD800, with a smaller soundstage. For me, these 2 characteristics make them wonderful to listen at low volume.

Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #3,733 of 12,550
Coming from HD800/HE-6, I am having a hard time seeing why some people think the Clear are edgy, bright, and tizzy. We do hear very differently indeed.
So far, it seems that people, who drive the Clear with SS amps, have somewhat similar impressions.
On my tube amp, there're no issues in the high. The Clear are however more forward than HD800, with a smaller soundstage. For me, these 2 characteristics make them wonderful to listen at low volume.

Agreed. Even with SS, it is not bright. It is just tonally correct to my ears. There are some brighter headphones than Clear like he400i or hd600.

May 27, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #3,734 of 12,550
What they might be hearing is the brightness of their electronics or amplification.
Never suffered from brightness with the Clear and I am quite sensitive to it!

May 27, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #3,735 of 12,550
The Clear are however more forward than HD800, with a smaller soundstage. For me, these 2 characteristics make them wonderful to listen at low volume.
This is an interesting point, now that I think about it it’s true, I have never enjoyed music at lower levels like with the Clear (and Utopia for that matter)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back