1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Focal Clear headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by mtoc, Oct 1, 2017.
First

Back
237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246
248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257
Next

Last
  1. Luke Thomas
    Sounds good. Will report Monday on the comparison

2. lentoviolento

idon't know who you are but i hate you.. now i want to try clear too :frowning2:((((((((((((((((((((((((((
    thank god there's no such thing as that shop here where i live otherwise i would be living in the streets

betula likes this.
  3. lentoviolento
    auteur has some sort of planar bass better than many planars i had.. i'm a/bing it with lcd2f and it seems it has more slam,maybe not so extended but more bass overall...

4. betula
    Haha. Thanks. This hobby is a blessing and a curse at the same time. :D

lentoviolento likes this.
  5. koiloco
    I dig ZMF HPs but their prices are getting a little out there. What's next? A $4k or $6k flagship like Hifiman? Bahhh...

6. TSAVJason
    I think ZMF is very fair on pricing compared to the big dogs

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
  7. koiloco
    In that aspect, I do agree with you, Jason.

8. lentoviolento
    to be honest if auteur costed about 1100bucks probably i would have thought that was the BEST hp in the world.... for my taste obviously. at 1600dol it is one of the best i tried but performance/ratio drops.
    i have a proposition for a clear new 1275+shipping. is it good?

9. NickedWicked
    I personally think both are worth the price and set a new benchmark for sub 2K headphones and in my opinion they are equal or even better than many over 2000 as well and that says a lot.

10. rutter
    If you think that Clear give you a unique 3D-like space you must have heard a very particular subset of headphones. A Hifiman Edition X would do significantly better in that respect at a lower price, but a lot of people may not find other aspects to compare favorably. Grudgingly I'd use the word magical there in contrast to the Clear, but I'm still somewhat disappointed by the return for the money. If you want even more of that 3D-like space apparently the HD800s will blow your mind. None of the Focal headphones are particularly advanced in that respect. You get them because they are dynamic, the sound really comes at you is one way to describe it. Distasteful to me, and I thought I was someone who preferred that sort of sound. When Focal claim their headphones are like speakers apparently you're to take them rather literally.

11. lentoviolento
    i found elear shouty and those mids were very strange...

12. betula
    I know there are more spacious sounding headphones out there, however the size of space/soundstage, as you said too, is not everything. I still find the Clears pretty good though in this regard. The danger of having a gigantic soundstage is a risk of loosing coherence. What the most special is about the Clears is a certain 'sweetness' of the sound which I find pretty addictive. Very dynamic, but in a gentle way. And extremely coherent.

jtinto and llamaluv like this.
  13. franz12
    If you need just soundstage, you don’t need to go that far. Just try cheap hd598 ~$80. It is quite a nice headphone though it has got 0 head time last year.

koiloco likes this.
  14. rutter
    Trust me, the soundstage of the HEX(v2) isn't gigantic. It's just noticeable. When I first listened to the Clear, at the risk of sounding inarticulate, I was like What. The overall scale is in the realm of disappointment, and the Clear do not fare well in this aspect. I listened to it a few more times and my initial impression might've been exaggerated but it is definitely not a "unique 3D-like" headphone.

Here's a quote regarding another pair of headphones that are relevant to the comparison, Hifiman vs Focal at similar price:

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  15. NickedWicked
    Did you try a balanced connection? It added some width and depth to the soundstage for me but yeah still a bit weird sounding in a sense, another thing I don't like is that the Clear has this tendency to push some nuances and details that are outside the soundstage "bubble" in the background, it does dig them up but doesn't really put them forward so you have to listen very closely.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
First

Back
237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246
248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257
Next

Last