Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Oct 2, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #1,411 of 1,718
How is the Bathys fit compared to the original Utopia? Utopia slips off so easily on my head I could barely move my head.
I tried the Utopia at CanJam and I don't think the fit is anywhere near comparable. The Bathys feels pretty locked in and I have to really shake my head to get it to budge.

Oct 5, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #1,412 of 1,718
I have comfort issues with my Akg K371. The earcups are too small so it is difficult to find a good position for them on my head, and I hear my heartbeat in my right ear occasionally while wearing them. On the other hand, I have neither of those issues with my Hifiman Ananda V1.

Has anyone had comfort issues with these headphones? And has anyone had issues with hearing their heartbeat with these?

Oct 13, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #1,414 of 1,718
If anyone is looking for a good headband cover for their Bathys, look no further. Just got this one in from amazon and they offer colorways that match both the OG colroway Bathys and the Dune: Amazon Link for Bathys Headband Cover

Here's how the light colorway looks on my new Dunes. Even fixed the slight hotspot issue I got on the top of my head without the cover.
IMG_6170.JPG
Does the cover cause any indentation in the leather headband? I just returned a different geekria headband cover I had on my Focal Clear because it was leaving lines on it

Oct 13, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #1,415 of 1,718
Does the cover cause any indentation in the leather headband? I just returned a different geekria headband cover I had on my Focal Clear because it was leaving lines on it
Very mild line indentations that return to normal after taking it off. I'm torn between using it or not. I go back and forth. I don't think it will cause any real damage but who knows.

Oct 28, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #1,416 of 1,718
Just a couple of queries from an iPhone 13 user using DAC mode with the HF Onkyo app as I cant seem to see any other app that displays the track sample info as it plays - Firstly, occasionally it shows as audio playing in the Bathys but no sound is coming out of the headphones - I can see its playing as the timer is moving on the track but zero volume and secondly should I be changing any of these settings...

Attachments

• IMG_3489.jpeg
    IMG_3489.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3488.PNG
    IMG_3488.PNG
    247.3 KB · Views: 0
Oct 29, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #1,418 of 1,718
Just a couple of queries from an iPhone 13 user using DAC mode with the HF Onkyo app as I cant seem to see any other app that displays the track sample info as it plays - Firstly, occasionally it shows as audio playing in the Bathys but no sound is coming out of the headphones - I can see its playing as the timer is moving on the track but zero volume and secondly should I be changing any of these settings...

Hello Guys,

We have started discussion about this in 2nd treat. I do not want to repeat myself so here is a link

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-bathys-wireless-anc-over-ear-headphone.965131/post-17796073

Nov 4, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #1,419 of 1,718
Hi all,

Recently bought the Bathys (went into my local hifi store to get some RCA cables; left with the most expensive wireless headphones in the shop...I'm an idiot)

I'm really liking the sound. A a definite upgrade from my B&W PX, Dali IO6, and the likes of Sony and Bose.

A few questions that I'm sure one of you guys will know the answer to:

- When I'm not in DAC mode, my phone (Samsung) is restricted to APTX codec. I'm due an upgrade on my phone soon, so wondering whether I should go for either a) something that can handle APTX adaptive or b) an iPhone. I have a mac for work and recording music, but have yet to buy into phone. Now that the new iPhone have usb c, it's a lot more appealing. I have read some reviews of the Bathys saying if youre an iPhone user they may not be the best - any reason behind this? Is it because the DAC mode was basically rendered pointless on iPhone?

- EQ settings - does using the Mimi function negate the EQ? It already opens up the sound massively, so wondering if the EQ still works with this in place.

- While talking EQ - what settings do you think give the best sound out of these cans. Want to experiment over the weekend and find what works, but any Head-Fiers opinions would be helpful.

Thanks

Nov 4, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #1,420 of 1,718
I prefer no EQ at all. And with Sony Xperia 1V. That's the best option for me.
On Samsung phone the best option for me was EQ in Dynamic no doubt. You can of course adjust it manually as many do but I could not find any settings that were recommended by others that I liked.

Nov 4, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #1,421 of 1,718
I would suggest using them wirelessly for a while. Then try Mimi and see what difference that makes first. Mimi is a hearing test that allows users to configure sound (EQ) to their tastes. After that you can try adding cables or even a portable amp like IFi Gryphon which can give you more flexibility with the phone and also work with wired headphones. If you start changing too many things at once it will do nothing but make you crazy. Sometimes a change will make a significant difference but sometimes when buying a $500 cable we will project that the sound has improved because of the expense. Go slow and you'll be happier.

Nov 4, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #1,423 of 1,718
With assistance from my friend, the Bathys (from AddictedtoAudio AU) have finally touched down.
Perfect timing for a trip!

Quick question tho, does Bathys support balanced cable like Sony MDR-MV1?

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #1,424 of 1,718
Hi all,

Recently bought the Bathys (went into my local hifi store to get some RCA cables; left with the most expensive wireless headphones in the shop...I'm an idiot)

I'm really liking the sound. A a definite upgrade from my B&W PX, Dali IO6, and the likes of Sony and Bose.

A few questions that I'm sure one of you guys will know the answer to:

- When I'm not in DAC mode, my phone (Samsung) is restricted to APTX codec. I'm due an upgrade on my phone soon, so wondering whether I should go for either a) something that can handle APTX adaptive or b) an iPhone. I have a mac for work and recording music, but have yet to buy into phone. Now that the new iPhone have usb c, it's a lot more appealing. I have read some reviews of the Bathys saying if youre an iPhone user they may not be the best - any reason behind this? Is it because the DAC mode was basically rendered pointless on iPhone?

- EQ settings - does using the Mimi function negate the EQ? It already opens up the sound massively, so wondering if the EQ still works with this in place.

- While talking EQ - what settings do you think give the best sound out of these cans. Want to experiment over the weekend and find what works, but any Head-Fiers opinions would be helpful.

Thanks
Hi there! Check out these EQ settings if you prefer a more neutral tuning:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/foc...phones-early-impressions.965153/post-17495082

For me, Mimi is nice to have, but it’s clearly not that important than the EQ, which tames the bass a bit and brings out the highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back