Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Sep 21, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #1,381 of 1,718
Thank you so much for the input everyone, i got myself a pair of Focal Bathys yesterday. I managed to demo it alongside the 5909, XM5, and PX8. In terms of sound, i prefer Bathys' offering. With ANC, its not that far off compared to XM5. As for the thudding sound during walking, i'm pleased to find out that it did not occur. Also, the Bathys is very comfortable to use.

Sep 21, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #1,382 of 1,718
Thank you so much for the input everyone, i got myself a pair of Focal Bathys yesterday. I managed to demo it alongside the 5909, XM5, and PX8. In terms of sound, i prefer Bathys' offering. With ANC, its not that far off compared to XM5. As for the thudding sound during walking, i'm pleased to find out that it did not occur. Also, the Bathys is very comfortable to use.
Congratulations on a great choice. I have a heavy step so maybe the thudding is me, not the Bathys. I highly recommend trying the Mimi personalisation in the app. Enjoy your new cans!

Sep 22, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #1,383 of 1,718
After a couple more days of listening with Mimi... it is crazy how much more air and detail I hear up top, but I've also noticed some masking in other frequencies I previously enjoyed in some recordings, and [maybe] a very slightly narrower soundstage. I guess when you make these trade-offs, you end up with masking somewhere with all the interactions of the cup and your ear shape and ability.

What's great overall, is the intense level of customization we now have with these, making them like multiple headphone signatures available in one. I guess some nights I'll be in the mood for Mimi's sparkle with jazz, vocals and EDM that is harder to achieve more evenly with just a single 16k slider in the EQ, and other nights I'll prefer to rock out loudly with the newer Van Halen remasters that sound great but are a bit too piercing unless I handle EQ duties myself.

Which leads me to the only other thing I could still ask for now: more EQ bands exposed. 5 bands is not ideal for getting a handle on doing your own correction, but I'd rather not use software behind the DAC if I can do it right in the headphones themselves.

Anyway, carry on being amazed that we now have a wide variety of signatures in one headphone, WITH useful ANC. This is the best.

Sep 22, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #1,384 of 1,718
@noplsestar It works on my iPad now, and also on the Linux PC (didn’t test MacBook yet).

I think the difference might be the profile calculated by Mimi. I once did a hearing test in a non-silent environment, I think that was when it worked on the iPad, but without the Mimi correction.

As I got my ears cleaned today, I did another test, and now it works. 🤷‍♂️

BTW, for everyone interested: If you create a Mimi account in the Focal & Naim app, your test results will be uploaded to that account. You can then view them in the Mimi hearing test app, and you will be rated, too.

My score before the cleaning was “good”, now it’s “excellent”. :) Switching the feature on still adds a lot of treble, though.

Sep 23, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #1,385 of 1,718
@noplsestar It works on my iPad now, and also on the Linux PC (didn’t test MacBook yet).

I think the difference might be the profile calculated by Mimi. I once did a hearing test in a non-silent environment, I think that was when it worked on the iPad, but without the Mimi correction.

As I got my ears cleaned today, I did another test, and now it works. 🤷‍♂️

BTW, for everyone interested: If you create a Mimi account in the Focal & Naim app, your test results will be uploaded to that account. You can then view them in the Mimi hearing test app, and you will be rated, too.

My score before the cleaning was “good”, now it’s “excellent”. :) Switching the feature on still adds a lot of treble, though.
Thanks. Maybe I will do the Mimi test again.

Anyways, found out that for me about 30% of the Mimi sounds perfect. It’s just that bit much better than the original without leading to headaches on extended listening sessions.

Sep 24, 2023 at 1:09 AM Post #1,386 of 1,718
Ugh, so tempted to jump on these with the sale on here in AUS. I currently have an Elegia/Arche setup at work and Clears at home in my studio for recording. When I'm on the go I have the Momentum TW3 which I enjoy for a bit more of a fun sound and use them also for work video calls etc.
Not sure I have a place to make the most of the Bathys. Wonder how'd they compare to the Elegia using 3.5mm via the Arche DAC.

Sep 24, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #1,387 of 1,718
Ugh, so tempted to jump on these with the sale on here in AUS. I currently have an Elegia/Arche setup at work and Clears at home in my studio for recording. When I'm on the go I have the Momentum TW3 which I enjoy for a bit more of a fun sound and use them also for work video calls etc.
Not sure I have a place to make the most of the Bathys. Wonder how'd they compare to the Elegia using 3.5mm via the Arche DAC.
I don’t think that you should buy into so the sales hype with these. If you have clear the Bathys won’t come close. If it’s about ANC then that’s a different story. Are you wearing them all day at work? I some think they are that comfortable for all day use. Depends what your needs are but wired will always win for sound.

Sep 24, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #1,388 of 1,718
You might be suprised how once you have over ear bluetooth headphones with ANC they pop up everywhere in terms of use cases. Very nice for coffee shops etc.

The Clear sound miles better though, ofc. I have both.

Sep 24, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #1,389 of 1,718
If I do pick up a pair I'm gonna read up on how easy it is to change the batteries, earpads, etc.
Related to @audio dilettante ’s comment, my one major criterion for buying Bluetooth over-ears in the future is whether it’s usable both technically and sonically when using wired, whether it’s with a passive analog cable (balanced or unbalanced), or with USB.

I don’t trust companies to maintain long term support with their devices, and it’s a crapshoot as to whether something can gain enough traction to spring an aftermarket industry, especially like the one the iPod classic has all these years later.

Sep 24, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #1,390 of 1,718
Bluetooth remains unreliable in some instances but this tech will rapidly change in the years to come so I would not get attached to a BT headphone and think that it will last 5 years. That's why I prefer getting a refub Sony for under $200 with a $59 warranty for loss and damage from Sony as I don't plan that after 2 years there won't be better ones. I wouldn't really bother spending more money on earpads until you've used the HP regularly for 3-4 months a few hours a day.

Sep 24, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #1,391 of 1,718
Bluetooth remains unreliable in some instances but this tech will rapidly change in the years to come so I would not get attached to a BT headphone and think that it will last 5 years. That's why I prefer getting a refub Sony for under $200 with a $59 warranty for loss and damage from Sony as I don't plan that after 2 years there won't be better ones. I wouldn't really bother spending more money on earpads until you've used the HP regularly for 3-4 months a few hours a day.
My sister still uses the original Bowers P7W I bought 5 years ago. Still sound great, still 10+ hours of battery life.

Sep 24, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #1,392 of 1,718
I don’t think that you should buy into so the sales hype with these. If you have clear the Bathys won’t come close. If it’s about ANC then that’s a different story. Are you wearing them all day at work? I some think they are that comfortable for all day use. Depends what your needs are but wired will always win for sound.
Thanks for being a voice of reason haha. With great wired setups at work and home I'm mostly using my BT in-ears for video calls at work and walking around the shops and I'd probably feel more comfortable in those than over-head style. I'm sure these would sound a lot better than the Momentum TW3 and closer to what I like about my Elegia/Clears but probably not warranted to spend the $ on to be honest.

Sep 27, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #1,395 of 1,718
Been wanting a good wireless set since I wasn't a big fan of the Airpod Max. Once I saw that Dune colorway though I had to go ahead and do it.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    626.3 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back