Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Sep 18, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #1,351 of 1,721
Supposedly yes.

I spent a while testing this tonight and while some volume matching is required (DAC mode being louder), I believe it works, much like EQ changes made in BT mode carry over.

Your description of Mimi being active is similar to mine. There’s a noticeable improvement, to a headphone which didn’t seem to even need improving really.

I will admit I had a headache after a while with Mimi set to 50%. It might be that I wear glasses and the headphones clamp got too much after a while, or it might have been the 3-4hrs sleep I got last night due to our baby keeping me up, but it might also have been the extra higher frequencies I was hearing 😂

Sep 18, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #1,352 of 1,721
Anyone using a headband cover on their Bathys? I got the Dune colorway in, and the microfiber/suede headband is just asking to absorb all the dirt/oil in sight. Also, I had a bit of a hotspot issue with the OG Bathys headband after some time, so hopefully a cover will alleviate that slightly.

Sep 18, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #1,353 of 1,721
Supposedly yes.

I spent a while testing this tonight and while some volume matching is required (DAC mode being louder), I believe it works, much like EQ changes made in BT mode carry over.

Your description of Mimi being active is similar to mine. There’s a noticeable improvement, to a headphone which didn’t seem to even need improving really.

I will admit I had a headache after a while with Mimi set to 50%. It might be that I wear glasses and the headphones clamp got too much after a while, or it might have been the 3-4hrs sleep I got last night due to our baby keeping me up, but it might also have been the extra higher frequencies I was hearing 😂
Yeah I'm definitely getting more fatigue with the mimi but maybe that's just my brain adjusting. It's genuinely like a different pair if headphones - I didn't realise how bad my hearing is... its funny as like you say it already sounded great until I heard the new improved version.

Sep 18, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #1,354 of 1,721
Yeah I'm definitely getting more fatigue with the mimi but maybe that's just my brain adjusting. It's genuinely like a different pair if headphones - I didn't realise how bad my hearing is... its funny as like you say it already sounded great until I heard the new improved version.
Ok. I give in. Will be rebuying the Bathys and using them exclusively in the office. This new firmware sounds great, as a similar feature on the Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless made a huge difference to how those BT headphones sounded.

Sep 18, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #1,355 of 1,721
Sep 18, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #1,356 of 1,721
How can you test this?

For me, I connect via MBP and when using DAC mode, can’t find the device in the app to check if Mimi is active. Of course it’s active from the last time I used it on BT, and much like with EQ I assume it’s working in DAC mode, but how can you check if the app won’t discover the device in DAC mode?
It’s relatively easy to test this.

1. Hear a track with USB-C (only about 20 seconds needed) you know by heart with Mimi deactivated.

2. Then activate Mimi and set it to 100% and listen to the same part of the track (again in USB-C of course)

If I do this test on my MacBook Pro my brain kills me with Mimi activated and it is very obvious it works :wink:
When I repeat that same test on my Android (Samsung s10e) there is no difference to be heard between Mimi on (100%) and Mimi off.

Sep 18, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #1,357 of 1,721
Had a pair of Momentum Wireless in NYC and would get sporadic cutouts out on the street due to what I would assume was the open spaces not providing enough reflection for the Bluetooth signal and possibly electromagnetic interference. An similar issues with the Bathys or is this a thing of the past?

Sep 18, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #1,358 of 1,721
It’s relatively easy to test this.

1. Hear a track with USB-C (only about 20 seconds needed) you know by heart with Mimi deactivated.

2. Then activate Mimi and set it to 100% and listen to the same part of the track (again in USB-C of course)

If I do this test on my MacBook Pro my brain kills me with Mimi activated and it is very obvious it works :wink:
When I repeat that same test on my Android (Samsung s10e) there is no difference to be heard between Mimi on (100%) and Mimi off.
This is strange - difference is massive on s20fe.

Sep 18, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #1,359 of 1,721
Ok. I give in. Will be rebuying the Bathys and using them exclusively in the office. This new firmware sounds great, as a similar feature on the Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless made a huge difference to how those BT headphones sounded.
It's certainly great for me and the difference I'd not subtle. I'm guessing the impact will vary based on how the Bathys fit your head. The improvement on mine is so significant that I assume I have quite a poor fit and so mimi is making big changes to accommodate this.

Sep 19, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #1,361 of 1,721
That’s strange. Hmmm
I just tested a bit. Strangely, I found that for me, it works on my iPhone in DAC mode. It doesn't work in DAC mode on my iPad (which is what I normally use for listening), my Linux PC, or my MacBook Pro (on all three, it doesn't produce any sound for me if Mimi is active). As the latter is where it worked for you, @noplsestar , it seems to be more or less a matter of chance.

Sep 19, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #1,362 of 1,721
I just tested a bit. Strangely, I found that for me, it works on my iPhone in DAC mode. It doesn't work in DAC mode on my iPad (which is what I normally use for listening), my Linux PC, or my MacBook Pro (on all three, it doesn't produce any sound for me if Mimi is active). As the latter is where it worked for you, @noplsestar , it seems to be more or less a matter of chance.
Yeah, I assume the programmers will have to put some more hours of work into the correct implementation. We will see if the next update corrects the errors.

Sep 19, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #1,363 of 1,721
... using a headband cover on their Bathys? ....
I do use one as well. I got one very similar to the one suggested earlier: Larger Size Headband Protector I tried one that was slightly thinner, but did not fit because the headband was thicker than I realized. I like the zipper version because it can be removed and washed. Also, the Bathys will still fit in the included carrying case.

Sep 19, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #1,364 of 1,721
Had a pair of Momentum Wireless in NYC and would get sporadic cutouts out on the street due to what I would assume was the open spaces not providing enough reflection for the Bluetooth signal and possibly electromagnetic interference. An similar issues with the Bathys or is this a thing of the past?
I also have issues with the Momentum Wireless and dongle dacs connected to the phone (RU6) in NYC. Would love to know if the Bathys has similar issues also.

Sep 19, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #1,365 of 1,721
The mimi update probably works wonders for some and is a small or insignificant update for others. Young people probably go "What is all the fuzz about?" while people with reduced hearing love it. For me it made the headphones a bit brighter but also more fatiguing so not really a killer feature for me.

One big issue with doing that kind of EQ is that there will be a bigger gap between hearing a acoustic instrument live without amps vs listening to recorded music as your hearing isn't "calibrated" in real life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back