Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Oct 27, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #1,471 of 1,723
Oct 27, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #1,473 of 1,723
I teams meetings it's best to put ANC in silent mode if there are other people around you.

They will break in right? First time I tried these was with wireless and they sounded great. DAC mode is sounding like a veiled Burr Brown in games(Windows 11 Rocket League).

Just tried wireless in discord. It was as equally horrible they say. Hmm.

Is there something I need to do?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #1,474 of 1,723
They will break in right? First time I tried these was with wireless and they sounded great. DAC mode is sounding like a veiled Burr Brown in games(Windows 11 Rocket League).

They do break in but I'm not sure if it gets better with gaming. I tried them only once with xbox connecting them though aux to the controller. But aux is the worst part about bathys. Haven't tried it since, sounded awful

Oct 27, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #1,475 of 1,723

They will sound better with a little break in but I found they require careful EQ to sound good (MiMi also helped). Agree the Aux input is the worst, sound much better wireless and best when in wired DAC mode.

Rich

Oct 27, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #1,476 of 1,723
They will sound better with a little break in but I found they require careful EQ to sound good (MiMi also helped). Agree the Aux input is the worst, sound much better wireless and best when in wired DAC mode.

Rich
I gaved up stressing my thoughts.

I see them as a good phone call headset. I will give it a thought again next year...maybe before.

Right now they sound like the best radiostation with the best quality. Like I am listening to radio, in a good way to be honest

Oct 27, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #1,477 of 1,723
French quality! I likes them leather pads and general quality so far

Oct 28, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #1,478 of 1,723
Plus whilst talking about the Onkyo app for lossless DAC mode - should I change any of these settings -

Attachments

• IMG_3488.PNG
    IMG_3488.PNG
    247.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #1,479 of 1,723
DAC mode is not working after doing the sound personal test.

Have you guys experience this?

EDIT: Seemed to be a Windows 11 error. Worked after restart

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #1,480 of 1,723
Are you by chance in wired DAC mode when this occurs?!? I have had similar issues on Qobuz and Foobar; have to disengage and then reengage DAC mode to get the sound back. Happens most frequently with changing hi rez sample rates (e.g. shuffling an artists catalog which contains a variety of resolutions).

Awaiting a replacement from Focal - on the truck for delivery today. Hoping a new pair resolves the issue.

Edit: Just noticed your image attachment indicates Airplay

Rich
I found the same in mine. Seems it happen on each services/players which allows hi-res (I check it on amazon unlimited, apple music, UAPP player) exactly as it was described when change of resolution. Mine so far haven't had any issue like that, seems rather firmware bug not headphones failure themselves so new pair won't change unless you refused firmware update.

DAC mode is not working after doing the sound personal test.

Have you guys experience this?

EDIT: Seemed to be a Windows 11 error. Worked after restart
Might it be connected with 1st issue ? Definitely it is something wrong in DAC mode in new firmware.

Anyone who experience this problem, please make sure to report that to focal support. Hope they know what the root cause is and have been already working on it

Oct 29, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #1,481 of 1,723
I found the same in mine. Seems it happen on each services/players which allows hi-res (I check it on amazon unlimited, apple music, UAPP player) exactly as it was described when change of resolution. Mine so far haven't had any issue like that, seems rather firmware bug not headphones failure themselves so new pair won't change unless you refused firmware update.

Might it be connected with 1st issue ? Definitely it is something wrong in DAC mode in new firmware.

Anyone who experience this problem, please make sure to report that to focal support. Hope they know what the root cause is and have been already working on it

Yes, new pair does the exact same thing and I did not think to check before updating the firmware. Good thought as this is a relatively new problem.

Can I ask folks to try this:

1. Put the Bathy’s in wired DAC mode and select James Taylor as an artist in Qobuz (or your service of choice).

2. Put the player/service in artist shuffle (to ensure varying and different resolutions/sample rate).

3. Skip tracks, letting the music start to play on each before skipping to the next track, and observe behavior.

4. Report back here and ESPECIALLY to Focal if you have the issue!

I’m guessing you will also experience a drop of sound output while the music continues to play and advance requiring the Bathy’s to be turned off and then back to DAC mode to regain sound output.

Thanks,

Rich

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #1,482 of 1,723
Yes, new pair does the exact same thing and I did not think to check before updating the firmware. Good thought as this is a relatively new problem.

Can I ask folks to try this:

1. Put the Bathy’s in wired DAC mode and select James Taylor as an artist in Qobuz (or your service of choice).

2. Put the player/service in artist shuffle (to ensure varying and different resolutions/sample rate).

3. Skip tracks, letting the music start to play on each before skipping to the next track, and observe behavior.

4. Report back here and ESPECIALLY to Focal if you have the issue!

I’m guessing you will also experience a drop of sound output while the music continues to play and advance requiring the Bathy’s to be turned off and then back to DAC mode to regain sound output.

Thanks,

Rich
I did the test with some additional parameters and I think I can present some conclusions.

1. On IOS device : few 4-5 songs skipped and play without issue but then sound gone. I am struggling to observe if these happens when song change from lossless to hi-res lossless (apple) or in opposite.

2. Android : works fine, like 20-30 skips and no issue on sound

3. PC (win 11) : plays with no issue, until you go to sound settings in windows to change bit rate (I had 24/192 and change to eg. 16/44.1) and sound disappeared. Not only app but also win sound mixer shows sound coming out but nothing in Bathys.

What does it means IMO ? I think that android has no issue due to standard usb audio driver limitation (putting everything in max 24/48 if I remember correctly, no bit perfect). iOS connect with camera adapter plays bit perfect and issue occured. The same in windows, it is not bit perfect but you can force bitrate change in sound settings, once you do it sound gone from bathys.
What to check next is with mimi feature off and on. Have you checked it maybe already ?

BR,
Jan

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #1,483 of 1,723
I did the test with some additional parameters and I think I can present some conclusions.

1. On IOS device : few 4-5 songs skipped and play without issue but then sound gone. I am struggling to observe if these happens when song change from lossless to hi-res lossless (apple) or in opposite.

2. Android : works fine, like 20-30 skips and no issue on sound

3. PC (win 11) : plays with no issue, until you go to sound settings in windows to change bit rate (I had 24/192 and change to eg. 16/44.1) and sound disappeared. Not only app but also win sound mixer shows sound coming out but nothing in Bathys.

What does it means IMO ? I think that android has no issue due to standard usb audio driver limitation (putting everything in max 24/48 if I remember correctly, no bit perfect). iOS connect with camera adapter plays bit perfect and issue occured. The same in windows, it is not bit perfect but you can force bitrate change in sound settings, once you do it sound gone from bathys.
What to check next is with mimi feature off and on. Have you checked it maybe already ?

BR,
Jan
I’ve got the same problem but also with a Samsung android mobile … :frowning2: Who will tell the Focal guys?

Oct 29, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #1,484 of 1,723
I checked again with mimi off, no issue with sound in the same test. Can you guys confirm on your side ? We will have a suspect then.

You can even go to windows sound settings, change bit rate randomly and click "test" button. The sound on bathys should disappear some time when you switch them between 24/192 and something less.
bathys test.jpg

Sorry for polish language :wink:

BTW is there any focal representative on this forum who can bring the issue to their attention ?

BR,
Jan

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #1,485 of 1,723

My problem was the reclocker works fine without it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back